Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KYB shocks... GR-2 or Gas-A-Just?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twizzstyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: KYB shocks... GR-2 or Gas-A-Just? Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum (and Volkswagens for that matter)...

I got a manx clone dune buggy as a gift from my grandpa, and I'm doing a bit of work on it. (I'm a Subaru nut originally, now VW's have taken me over too! Very Happy )

Anyways, I want to get some new shocks for it. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want something that is going to handle very well. This is mostly going to be a street driven car.

So I just need to decide between the GR-2's and the Gas-A-Just. It sounds like the Gas-A-Just's are stiffer, is that right? Those would be the ones I want in that case.

Also, my buggy has what looks like the "Select-A-Drop" adjuster on the front beam (The pan is a 1961 bug, so it is link pin). I haven't really had a chance to look at it, but when I changed a bolt on the bottom, it didn't raise or lower the car, but changed the stiffness of the front suspension. Is there something to adjust on the top as well? Anybody have a "Select-A-Drop" and can explain to me what it does exactly? I would like to lower the buggy just a tad (inch or so).

Thanks for any help! I've really fallen in love with this car and how easy it is to work on!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run GR2 for the past 15 years. With a light fiberglass body the GR2 will more than firm enough.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, I use the gas-adjusts for my rail (off road)for years also. When I'm ready I'm getting GR2's for my buggy.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put GR-2's on the front and Gas Adjust on the rears. Worked good for me - CD's don't skip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerodog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas adjusts suck. I run them on my baja. They have no rebound dampening and to much low speed dampening. They buck over every pot hole and manhole cover in the road. I am spending the money and buying bilsteins for mine. But I go offroading. For street use you want it to be soft. I would spend more than the $20 or $30 bucks for the KYs and get some good car shocks. Like gabriel or monroes. I will never by the KYBs again. Anyone who likes these shocks doesn't know what good suspension should feel like.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: