Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

I couldn’t find anything in the forum and thought I would post this to the group.

What options exist for a single carb vintage speed set up? Has anyone ever run a single 40 Weber? Or a single Zenith carb? Is there a disadvantage to a single carb? This could apply to a single port as well as Okrasa dual port engine. Just curious what options exist beyond a dual carb setup.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

I have never seen a single 40 Weber on one but not saying it couldn't be done, there were a few single two barrel carb manifolds made for 36hp engines but they can be hard to find, I have one that will take a Zenith or Holley Bugspray, at least that what I was told, it may fit a 40hp...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

If you are doing a mild performance upgrade other Solex PCI carbs are available. Beside the stock 28 PCI there are 30, 32 and 34 PCI carbs. I am not sure about the fitment of the 34 to the intake. This could be an alternative that helps performance but looks stock. I prefer the dual carb look for my Vintage Speed Standard Zwitter project. Good luck with yours!
'63 OG 117
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like dual carbs is the better way to go. I recently built a mild vintage speed 36hp motor with a Riechert Motortechnik dual carb set up. My question stemmed more from curiosity and if it was possible to use a different set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

There was a carb adapter for the 25hp to use a solex 32 pbi/ pbic single carb .. there was a old post about that adapter I have to search for it and I'll post the link ..but what I was told was that by adding that single 32carb it really didn't add much power ..I wanted 2 of those adapters to add to some 36hp 28mm manifolds so I could use the 32 carbs but they are hard to find they are out there but I wasn't lucky getting them ..I was told there was a lot of folks in Germany in which they said tend to pop up but not so much here in the u.s ...I post the link to that single 28mm manifold to a solex pbj/pbi/ pbic 32mm carb adapter ...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

Found it ... this is the adapter to add a bigger 32mm carb to a stock 25hp/36hp/40hp manifold i am still looking for 2 sets of these for years for my collection but no luck 👇👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8872129&highlight=#8872129
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

The issue is the stock 36hp manifold has 13/16" ID runner tubes. I'm not sure going to a bigger carb will help when the stock 21.5mm venturi is bigger than the runners.

I'm working on adapting a later OEM SP manifold with 1" ID runners to weld onto stock 36hp manifold flanges that I bored out to 1", and I have a larger 24mm venturi for the stock solex carb. But I'm trying to finish my upholstery work first...
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

I was told many years ago that the off-road crowd preferred the single Zenith over the dual carbs solely because they handled the bouncing better with no relative motion between the two cabs to effect synchronization.

We do have a Zenith on our Chevy 350 truck for off-road use, so you figure.

Roland
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Single carburetor for a vintage speed 36hp motor Reply with quote

From “making the Volkswagen go”

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course the increased power might be from the crank, not so much the carburetor

Last edited by oldslow on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: