Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 1.7 Heads Interchange
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Morning Guys,

So my beautiful (new to me) 73 412 has finally been receiving some long overdue maintenance on my behalf. The engine has 80,xxx original miles on it and is completely stock.

I noticed recently that after a cruise around town, the idle had a slight misfire. I broke out the leak down tester and found that #3 had a massive exhaust valve leak. So I popped the valve cover and found the exhaust valve was tight (zero lash cold). I readjusted and then my leak down went to 2%. I pulled the plug and check the valve in the cylinder expecting to see a hammered out seat. To my surprise, the seat looks perfect, so I'm assuming the valve is stretching and about to break. It is a sodium filled VW valve that I set to 0.006".

I want to repair the engine so I was trying to think of some options. I have a 0 mile VW Canada remanufactured 1.7 bus motor in my collection. I was wondering if I could steal the heads off of that motor and use them on the 412? From my research, it looks like the combustion chambers are the same size, only difference might be the temp sensor and smog ports since the bus motor is for a carbed vehicle. I was hoping maybe I can drill and tap the temp sensor hole and add the smog ports, then swap them on the 412 and be on my way. Any thoughts?

Other option would be to send the OG heads out to get a valve job. The castings appear to be in excellent condition still so I think that is a viable option.

Thanks!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Buss heads have smaller intake valves. As already noted there´s no threaded boss for the temp sensor and the crank case vent pipes are missing.
Buy a set of NOS heads https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355062 These are correct for 411/412 with D-jet.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

A few items:

1. The 1.7l bus and the 411/412 1.7L....both have the same valve size (39mm x 33mm).

2. If it's still in factory form, it should not have sodium filled valves unless you or the previous owner installed them.

3. Do you need the smog system where you are living? If not, I would deactivate the air pump and plug the holes in the head.

4. In the 411, 412 and 914 cars ....it would be very rare to have a valve seat drop out unless the engine were subjected to repeated "near over heating" like you get in the bus. Lighter weight, better gearing etc.....so what you found is not surprising.
But....the worry is that yes....your valve is stretching. On some of the earlier 411 and maybe early 412, there was a limited batch of engines made that had the issue of exhaust valve being overly stretchy and snapping a valve early in life like 30-50k miles. It was limited and kind of handled like a dealer recall and not much info was ever out there.....but in the late 70s and early 80s there was the short term reputation/fear of 1.7L engines snapping exhaust valves.
It came and went pretty fast but it's vaguely possible maybe you got one of those.

But, no vw type 4 to my knowledge ever had sodium filled valves except for 914 2.0.

5. The head casting and combustion chamber of the bus and 411/412 1.7L are the same.

I would not install/drill ports for the smog air system unless that is required in your state. It's horrible for the engine.

Also, heads from a bus engine....even though the 1.7L bus engines were probably among the most robust....will still have some level of abuse that the equivalent mileage 411/412 head does not. I would use them for moderate to short term while you properly rebuild your original heads.

At this point in time....it's wise to have new seats and guides installed. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Pelle wrote:
Buss heads have smaller intake valves. As already noted there´s no threaded boss for the temp sensor and the crank case vent pipes are missing.
Buy a set of NOS heads https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355062 These are correct for 411/412 with D-jet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2500397
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. So this might be a stupid question, but what's the opinion on just replacing the exhaust valves? The seats looks good and if the guides check out, couldn't I just install new exhaust valves and lap them in? Again this is a 80k 412 head that looks to be in good shape other than a stretchy exhaust valve on #3. If I went this route, I'd change all 4 exhaust valves.

I'm thinking about just using the rebuilt VW Canada 1.7 bus heads but if swapping the valves in a reasonable option, that would be ever easier.

Thanks-

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. So this might be a stupid question, but what's the opinion on just replacing the exhaust valves? The seats looks good and if the guides check out, couldn't I just install new exhaust valves and lap them in? Again this is a 80k 412 head that looks to be in good shape other than a stretchy exhaust valve on #3. If I went this route, I'd change all 4 exhaust valves.

I'm thinking about just using the rebuilt VW Canada 1.7 bus heads but if swapping the valves in a reasonable option, that would be ever easier.

Thanks-

If they really are 80k miles heads....and if the guides do check out...sure, replacing all of the exhaust valves would be a good bet. A better bet would be to replace all of the valves. Even the intakes have 80k on them.

When you get another 40-50k on the heads with new exhaust valve...now the intakes have 120-130k on them and are getting close to needing replacement. Its just not good practice.

A "quick" check for the seats is to put the clean heads on a cookie sheet and put them in an oven....not your wifes oven Laughing ...bring them up to 400 F. Lift them up about 4" and drop them flat on the cookie sheet. If no seats fall out or if you cannot twist the seats with a gloved hand....they sre solid.

I would put all new valves in and recut the seats so you know exactly what you have. You might have $200 in them at this point and will know they are good for another 150k miles.

The problem with using bus heads...is that unless they are NEW....the equivalent miles/wear due to the loads buses put on their engines will be worse than your 80k mile heads. Ray

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Update:

Got the engine pulled over the weekend. I have to say, compared to my Type 4 bus, this was a smooth operation. I tilted the transmission and slid the engine right out the back. No need to remove any of the fuel injection parts or tin ware.

Does anyone have shops they recommend to work on the heads? I was thinking of contacting Head Flow Masters but I'm open to recommendations. I'll also take the opportunity to send out the injectors for a cleaning/rebuild since they probably could use it with their age.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Not sure what to tell you about the heads in your area.

I had my original injectors cleaned and flow tested. I still had problems though. I did have some continuing fuel contamination problems which did not help. I gave up on my injectors after looking at the spray patterns. I opted for new SMP injectors through Rock Auto. The performance is outstanding and I have not looked back. I don’t think it is worth the time and money to try and revive old injectors.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Not sure what to tell you about the heads in your area.

I had my original injectors cleaned and flow tested. I still had problems though. I did have some continuing fuel contamination problems which did not help. I gave up on my injectors after looking at the spray patterns. I opted for new SMP injectors through Rock Auto. The performance is outstanding and I have not looked back. I don’t think it is worth the time and money to try and revive old injectors.

Bill

On one hand....if the injector is say...."modern" old....like the injectors on my 2012 Golf with 262,000 miles....only 11 years old and well cared for.....sure. Its worth messing with them.

But....most of our injectors are 40+ years old. The cars have been in and out of service...years in between. Its the sitting still that kills them. Its just been too long. They corrode inside.

Here is a thread with microscope shots of a still functional ...but not great...injector. We all try to save these things but they cannot fix what's is wrong inside from time and moisture.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9301660#9301660

Just get new ones....NOS or new. Ray
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the injectors. I'll probably just buy the new ones as you guys suggest. I don't really have any reason to believe there is anything wrong with the OGs, but I just thought with their age it could be a point of concern. I'll post some pics up of the injectors when I pull them this weekend.

Still no decision on the heads. I called headflow masters and left a message, no reply yet. I don't mind shipping to a highly recommended shop. I don't want to have to mess with the heads again so I'll pay to get it done right this time. I'm going to add a DD CHT gauge too while I'm at it since I have one in all of my ACVWs and like the peace of mind.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
Thanks for the info on the injectors. I'll probably just buy the new ones as you guys suggest. I don't really have any reason to believe there is anything wrong with the OGs, but I just thought with their age it could be a point of concern. I'll post some pics up of the injectors when I pull them this weekend.

Still no decision on the heads. I called headflow masters and left a message, no reply yet. I don't mind shipping to a highly recommended shop. I don't want to have to mess with the heads again so I'll pay to get it done right this time. I'm going to add a DD CHT gauge too while I'm at it since I have one in all of my ACVWs and like the peace of mind.

If you have the extra cash...and its not really expensive....I would have your OG ones professionally cleaned and flow checked, then put a little ATF on the pintle and work it in and out as a preservative to be rinsed out later....cap the fuel inlet and save them as a spare set. Buy the new ones from SMP to run. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

On the injector side of this discussion, make damn sure your fuel tank is clean. I did have mine out and thought I had cleaned it really well. I spent alot of time on this. Well, it turns out that there was still some very fine sediment remaining. You can see the photos in my wagon, the problems thread. So I fiushed the tank several times again while it was back in the car. It got much better, but I am changing out fuel filters every so many miles just to be on the safe side. So far it has not caused me any grief with my new SMP injectors and the fuel filters are showing less and less contamination with each change.

Bill
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Hello,

Rock Auto have the correct Bosch 028150007 / SMP FJ119 fuel injectors for the 411 with D-Jetronic for sale at $70/£59.

Rob
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

The fun continues:

So I finally got the heads pulled. A few things I noticed during teardown:

1.) The intake manifold gaskets didn't match. It seemed like the #3/4 side was a carb gasket (thicker). The nuts also seemed too loose on that side.

2.) The engine isn't totally original like I thought. The pistons and cylinders are flat top AAs and you can still see cross-hatch. No rust at all on the cylinders. This explains the excellent leak-down numbers I recorder (2%ish per cylinder pre teardown).

3.) Here is where things get funny but the big picture comes into focus. The heads on #3/4 don't match the #1/2 heads. Both are 1.7 heads but the #3/4 (problem child that started this teardown) have sodium filled exhaust valves (like I stated in my first post). So I'm assuming the PO had a head problem and brought it somewhere to have the engine "repaired". Looks like they just grabbed some bus 1.7 heads with sodium valves and slapped them on there. Did P/Cs for good measure and tossed the unobtanium domed pistons.

4.) Further evaluation of the #3 exhaust valve found a chunk of guide missing in the port. Also, the valve stem is visibly reseeding below the level of the other 3 valves on that head. Seems like I had a bomb waiting to explode in the form of a stretched valve and worn out guide. Good thing I decided to tear into it.

I made some calls and all the good well-known head rebuilders are busy right now. Tims told me 2+ months before he can touch them. So I'm going to roll the dice here and shift back to my original plan. I plan to pull the VW Canada rebuilt heads off my longblock and see what they look like. I added some pics for reference just because I think it is super cool that a VW Canada Rebuild from the early 80s is still in the wild, unrun. If this works out, I'll save the shortblock for a future engine build for my bus. I recently did a top end job on it and it's running nice but this will be my insurance policy.

Thanks

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

The 1.7L heads...to my knowledge.... were never made with sodium filled valves...at least not in the US. I do not know about Europe. Your engine was rebuilt in Canada so no telling what their normal spec is.

Those also look like so many other fairly common valves with a divot from the machining center in the head. I have some older valves that look just like it that are either TRW or ATE and are not sodium filled.

It would be interesting to find them sodium filled. You should cut open the stem of one and see.

The carb gaskets should be thinner. The correct fuel injection gaskets are about 8-9mm thick and are made of phenolic plastic.

All of the 1.7's and most of the other engines came with 9mm exhaust valve stems. From my long ago experience, sodium filled valves are even slightly bigger. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

As far as I understand the bus heads, they eliminated the breather ports. The whole crankcase breathing system was much simpler, but I don’t think better. I would really look into correct breathing heads as the engine was designed for the 411/412s
I am a stock kind of guy and I like to keep things as they were designed. You may find less difficulty down the road. I could be wrong…

Bill
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The 1.7L heads...to my knowledge.... were never made with sodium filled valves...at least not in the US. I do not know about Europe. Your engine was rebuilt in Canada so no telling what their normal spec is.

Ray, you are probably correct. I have an old repair manual that I believe mentioned 0.008" exhaust valve setting for 1.7L bus engines. I just took that as sodium filled valves I guess. I thought it listed 73 as a year but now I am doubting myself. I'll try and snap a pic of that to share but they may just be center marks as you state.

raygreenwood wrote:
Your engine was rebuilt in Canada so no telling what their normal spec is.

Sorry for the confusion. The heads I posted pictures of are from the engine that was installed in my 412, not the VW Canada rebuild. Looking at the way I posted the images, I can see why you thought that was the case. The VW Canada heads will get pulled this weekend for assesment and I'll post pics at that time. I did take a sneak-peak at the rocker boxes last night and they look super minty; almost looks like all new hardware so I guess it's possible those heads are new and not rebuilt. We'll see though once they are pulled.

raygreenwood wrote:
The carb gaskets should be thinner. The correct fuel injection gaskets are about 8-9mm thick and are made of phenolic plastic.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm ordering new gaskets, so this will be corrected. I believe the 1.7, 1.8, & 2.0 FI engines all use the same gasket, can you confirm?

Pepperbilly wrote:
As far as I understand the bus heads, they eliminated the breather ports.

Hey Bill, I will be adding the breather ports to the bus heads to keep it stock. I also have to add the TS2 threaded bore since those heads are for a carb'd 1.7 bus. I plan to keep it 100% stock, through some light modifications.

-Chris

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray, you are probably correct. I have an old repair manual that I believe mentioned 0.008" exhaust valve setting for 1.7L bus engines. I just took that as sodium filled valves I guess. I thought it listed 73 as a year but now I am doubting myself. I'll try and snap a pic of that to share but they may just be center marks as you state.

raygreenwood wrote:
Your engine was rebuilt in Canada so no telling what their normal spec is.

Sorry for the confusion. The heads I posted pictures of are from the engine that was installed in my 412, not the VW Canada rebuild. Looking at the way I posted the images, I can see why you thought that was the case. The VW Canada heads will get pulled this weekend for assesment and I'll post pics at that time. I did take a sneak-peak at the rocker boxes last night and they look super minty; almost looks like all new hardware so I guess it's possible those heads are new and not rebuilt. We'll see though once they are pulled.

raygreenwood wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm ordering new gaskets, so this will be corrected. I believe the 1.7, 1.8, & 2.0 FI engines all use the same gasket, can you confirm?

Pepperbilly wrote:
As far as I understand the bus heads, they eliminated the breather ports.

Hey Bill, I will be adding the breather ports to the bus heads to keep it stock. I also have to add the TS2 threaded bore since those heads are for a carb'd 1.7 bus. I plan to keep it 100% stock, through some light modifications.

-Chris

Yes....the crankcase venting system that Pepperbilly mentioned that was on D-jet....is probably one of the very best systems I have seen on aircooled vw's.

It works like this:

On either the oil bath air cleaner or the paper element air cleaner that was on the early 412....you will find a 12mm nipple that connects to a small secondary chamber inside the air cleaner and connecting to the filtered side...so it feeds filter air.

So.....that 12mm hose connects to the three port aluminum hose splitter fitting that is screwed to the cooling manifold just to the left of the wire that controls the cooling flaps. That three port hose splitter/junction is a "flame trap" inside.

So...filtered air from the air cleaner is SUCKED through the flame trap junction...is split in two directions and goes to the 12mm nipple on each rocker box.

The filtered air is SUCKED into the rocker boxes...pulling excess vapors and pushing excess oil in front of it as it is SUCKED through the pushrod tubes into the engine case.

It mixes with blow-by gases in the case and is SUCKED through the cast in "Z" baffle under the oil chimney at the top of the case (shedding a lot of oil there).

It is then SUCKED through the oil baffle inside the oil filler chimney (shedding even more oil there) before being sucked through the PCV valve and through the 12mm hose and into the intake plenum.

So....the gist is that this PCV system uses high manifold pressure to DRAW filtered air THROUGH the heads and case and out the top.

If you keep your oil changed regularly and keep this system intact, it runs very cool and keeps the inside of the rocker boxes VERY clean.

Here is what the correct gasket looks like for all of the fuel injected engines.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/022129707F.html?utm_...VkQAvD_BwE

They usually come in good gasket sets. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Chris,

Two different types of intake manifold gaskets. The 1.7 heads had 4 studs for mounting. 1.8 and 2.0 had 3 studs for mounting.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 1.7 Heads Interchange Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Chris,

Two different types of intake manifold gaskets. The 1.7 heads had 4 studs for mounting. 1.8 and 2.0 had 3 studs for mounting.

Bill

Only the 2.0 914 heads should have three studs. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: