Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Let's say you bought a pile of a barndoor bus for next to free and over a couple of years of your own labor and cash, you've finally brought it up to a very nice bus that you've always wanted. You did it all: metal,body,paint, drivetrain, everything the best you could do and its worth quite a bit of money and it'd be difficult to replace even if you had the money to buy one.
Now, let's say you decide to install a GPS tracking device in it just in case.
One day you drive your beautiful bus to work and someone pulls up in a rollback and snatches it without anybody noticing. A couple hours later when you try to leave you find your beloved bus is gone.

What do you do?

Say the thieves have taken it 200 miles away to someone's house and it's in their garage.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
What do you do?

I'd call the police.

Onceler wrote:
Say the thieves have taken it 200 miles away to someone's house and it's in their garage.

I'd call the police and share that information of person 200 miles away.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Yes, exactly what Cusser said above.

The same goes for anything, I know people are using Apple Air Tags to track other items lately.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Is this a joke? Call the cops, report it stolen. Let them know you have a GPS tracker on the vehicle and can tell them exactly where it is.

If the cops know where to go find it, they will.

Are you asking us if we would go all vigilante and confront them? Nope. I'm not getting shot for a Bus.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Not to hijack.
At what point would one call their insurance company? I have a couple of thoughts. Just curious what others would do.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Call the cops in the jurisdiction where the Bus is.

Warning. An apple tag doesn’t tell you where your Bus is. It tells you where your apple tag is.

Criminal possession of an apple tag is rarely prosecuted.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Call the cops in the jurisdiction where the Bus is.

Warning. An apple tag doesn’t tell you where your Bus is. It tells you where your apple tag is.

Criminal possession of an apple tag is rarely prosecuted.

The police report the insurance company may require should be filed in the place where the bus was stolen. I would ask the police if I should follow up with the local law enforcement at the place the GPS is locating.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Not to hijack.
At what point would one call their insurance company? I have a couple of thoughts. Just curious what others would do.

I would only call the insurance if I could not recover the vehicle, or if it was stripped, and I had some sort of policy that covered it. In the event the cops can go secure the bus unharmed, I'd just go pick it up, and tell the insurance nothing.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Not to hijack.

I would only call the insurance if I could not recover the vehicle, or if it was stripped, and I had some sort of policy that covered it. In the event the cops can go secure the bus unharmed, I'd just go pick it up, and tell the insurance nothing.

Thumbs Up

Some people might hide the fact they have GPS information from law enforcement to cash in on the policy. If the have a proper policy. Think

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

is this really hypothetical? asking for a friend...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Of course you'd call the cops unless say, there is a shit ton of dope in the bus or a dead body...hypothetically of course Very Happy
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses to this hypothetical and yes it is purely hypothetical. However, I do have an interest in gps tracking for a vehicle.
Everyone seems to be in agreement that calling the police is the correct answer and I agree. But will the police actually be able to do anything? I would imagine the thieves wouldn’t just allow the police inside to look around. Maybe I’m wrong.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Thanks for all the responses to this hypothetical and yes it is purely hypothetical. However, I do have an interest in gps tracking for a vehicle.
Everyone seems to be in agreement that calling the police is the correct answer and I agree. But will the police actually be able to do anything? I would imagine the thieves wouldn’t just allow the police inside to look around. Maybe I’m wrong.

If the police are not actually going to do anything. Then call your insurance.
Call your local law enforcement and ask how they would handle the situation. I’d be curious about this as well.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Call your local PD & report vehicle stolen. With report in hand, call PD where tracker pings at & give them the specifics, they (should) will get a warrant to search the property.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

GPS is accurate down to the address. The hypothetical you could go to that local PCT, explain what's up, show the GPS location and a photo of the vehicle, and ask for a cruiser or two to head to the address.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

A lot of the GPS trackers have features such as tilt/bump sensors, the abality to set geofence, speed limits, power cutoff, listen to in car sounds and many other options that can alert you almost in real time what is going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

I'm telling you officer, it's in one of those containers! do something!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

If it's like the one my Son has (2-3 years old) the signal would have been lost as soon as it went into the container, that thing can't even make contact when it's located under the hood, we had to mount it up under the dash so there was only plastic and glass in the way.

Great for when it's on the move to the hideout, but if they put it in a building or can it disappears, you'd only have the last known location for the cops.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

^^^ Well, that’s disheartening, but good to know.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

nobody has suggested posting the info on the samba and vw enthusiast facebook groups. if it's on an open trailer it will be spotted by someone. I remember there was a green bus stolen in the uk a couple of years ago, owner posted info on the net, within hours it was spotted headed for europe and then found by enthusiasts on the continent.
I would not expect much from the police other than a refence number for the insurers Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: