Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Strange post. Hypothetically.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

...and VW get in the news again, for the wrong reasons Rolling Eyes
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/...91433.html

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

My only 2 experiences with stolen vehicles happened to co-workers

The first was probably ~15 years ago. My co-workers garage was broken into by pushing the top of his overhead door in and releasing the latch. Then they proceeded to load his truck that was parked inside, with his buddy's tools and all his tools. About a week later as I was driving to work I noticed his truck in a gravel lot. He called the police and they're response was "it wasn't your truck". 2 weeks later I still saw the truck sitting in the same spot. I made it clear that I knew this was his truck. This time he actually went to the site and called the police while he was standing next to his truck. When they arrived, the officer said "well, you can take it home."

The next incident was just a couple weeks ago. Another co-worker had his son's car stolen from his driveway. They live kind of rural, so the keys were left in it of course. A couple months go by and his son identifies some parts being sold on Facebook marketplace that belonged to him. So my co-worker is friends with the sheriff deputy in his small town who contacts the police in the city where the parts are being sold. Anyway it turns out that the guy with the stolen parts had already sold the drivetrain and had the remainder of the car crushed. But between the time the car was stolen and then the parts found, the car had received numerous parking tickets, had been driven around with fake tags, and had been impounded at the city impound lot. But the police never bothered to check if it was stolen.

So basically, I have no faith that the police (at least in my location) will make any extra effort or any effort at all to recover a stolen vehicle even if I could provide GPS coordinates of its location.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Another co-worker had his son's car stolen from his driveway. They live kind of rural, so the keys were left in it of course.

so did the insurance company accept these 'rural ways' or did they refuse to pay out?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Another co-worker had his son's car stolen from his driveway. They live kind of rural, so the keys were left in it of course.

so did the insurance company accept these 'rural ways' or did they refuse to pay out?

His insurance did pay, however, not enough to buy a comparable car due to the used car market
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

just this week

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/03/29/stolen-...olice-say/

Not sure how this will play out. In my mind it's the same as chasing down a horse thief, that is your property and you have a right to defend and protect it from being taken (in Texas). I might further argue that the thief in control of the truck could use the truck as a deadly weapon.

I'm not so sure I buy the " I know it's frustrating but wait for Police" part. I don't think they care to do anything, I think they just consider it an insurance issue, same reason they no longer write crash reports or do any investigating unless their is a fatality involved. I also know killing someone aint easy and the shooter will at the very least have some PTSD issues the rest of their life.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
just this week

Not sure how this will play out. In my mind it's the same as chasing down a horse thief, that is your property and you have a right to defend and protect it from being taken (in Texas). I might further argue that the thief in control of the truck could use the truck as a deadly weapon.

I'm not so sure I buy the " I know it's frustrating but wait for Police" part. I don't think they care to do anything, I think they just consider it an insurance issue, same reason they no longer write crash reports or do any investigating unless their is a fatality involved. I also know killing someone aint easy and the shooter will at the very least have some PTSD issues the rest of their life.

The laws have tipped in favor of criminals lately. and unscrupulous attorneys will defend them. I feel for the old school police officers, because everything they did in the past is now illegal or offensive to certain groups. So they can't do much. I hope the victims get a good attorney and they get the legal defense they deserve, as they were only protecting themselves and their property. SeaLandAir, sound better and better every day.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
just this week

If the shooter/owner reasonably believed the perp had a weapon, he was within his rights. It doesn't matter whether the perp in fact did have one or not. It's the reasonable belief by the shooter, and is therefore legitimate self-defense.

This is probably the law in Texas; California, not so much...

Also an issue is the use of deadly force to protect property. Most states only allow use of deadly force if you or someone else is in imminent danger of death or significant bodily injury. But last time I checked, Texas allows it for property defense, too.

This is the criminal aspect. Civilly, the perp's family can sue (though maybe not win) for anything.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Lojack is a fair option and it works with the police. It alerts your phone if the car moves without the fob. And with the push of a button, the cops are notified and connected to its location. I’ve been reasonably satisfied with their service in the past. Like anything else in life: if you spend money on something, the end product is usually better.

With an off-brand GPS it’s just you with a shotgun and your dick in your hand pretending to be the hero.

With a dedicated company it’s just push the button and have Johnny Law held accountable to get your stuff back.

Having a tech replace the battery IS kind of annoying though. Also, it’s laughable that they make the location “secret even to the owner” as there’s only so many places to hide a toaster in what is essentially a panel van. I’m constantly taking shit apart that breaks (as we all do) and found it within a day.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Lojack is a fair option and it works with the police. It alerts your phone if the car moves without the fob. And with the push of a button, the cops are notified and connected to its location. I’ve been reasonably satisfied with their service in the past. Like anything else in life: if you spend money on something, the end product is usually better.

With an off-brand GPS it’s just you with a shotgun and your dick in your hand pretending to be the hero.

With a dedicated company it’s just push the button and have Johnny Law held accountable to get your stuff back.

Having a tech replace the battery IS kind of annoying though. Also, it’s laughable that they make the location “secret even to the owner” as there’s only so many places to hide a toaster in what is essentially a panel van. I’m constantly taking shit apart that breaks (as we all do) and found it within a day.

I somewhat agree with the shotgun statement, the problem with LoJack in a big city is getting the police to respond in the first place. Many people here complain that lojack is only in some cop cars, not all. It has to be someone in the autotheft task force. It can take hours for them to respond and in the meantime, like you said, discovered and removed before the police could track it. Police treat it as an insurance issue.

There is a device we know works locally, ravelco. It will take a tow truck to steal a car/truck with ravelco installed.

https://www.ravelco.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a small battery powered GPS ping device that only pings 2x a day in order to make the battery last 3-5 years. magnetic and small.

https://gpsandtrack.com/equipment-gps-tracker/

I wouldnt install anything wired to the car, this might be the ticket at $250 with no subscription fees
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

I read somewhere that maybe calling in a carjacking and armed assault might be a way to avoid having to play hero if you use a gps tracker
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I read somewhere that maybe calling in a carjacking and armed assault might be a way to avoid having to play hero if you use a gps tracker

I’ve read somewhere else that filing a false police report is poorly received.

Going somewhere to recover stolen property with a firearm isn’t heroic, it’s dumbfuddery
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Going somewhere to recover stolen property with a firearm isn’t heroic, it’s dumbfuddery

True, but the guys already a car thief in possession of a stolen car and most likely has other priors, so who are they most likely to believe?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Onceler wrote:

True, but the guys already a car thief in possession of a stolen car and most likely has other priors, so who are they most likely to believe?

This isn't how it works - they can choose to charge both of you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

I'll be the only honest one here. I'd go vigilante.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

This guy used an Air tag to get his vehicle back. Although it may need some detailing.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/san-antonio-airtag-shooting-17871230.php
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Possibly only a misdemeanor? I’m good with that. I wonder what the charge is if I report I am armed and going to go get my vehicle back?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Possibly only a misdemeanor? I’m good with that. I wonder what the charge is if I report I am armed and going to go get my vehicle back?

without getting political. But the new "progressive" thinking has decriminalized many crimes.

Before, this was the definition of a crime.

PENAL CODE - PEN
PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS ( Preliminary Provisions enacted 1872. )
A crime or public offense is an act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it, and to which is annexed, upon conviction, either of the following punishments:

1. Death;

2. Imprisonment;

3. Fine;

4. Removal from office; or,

5. Disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit in this State.

Now, They get to pick and choose what is a crime and not.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery hypothetical Reply with quote

fantastic reading comprehension. Post a story about a guy using an apple air tag, and two people afterwards post the same thing. Classic Samba crowd, I tell you what. All mouth no ears... well, I guess all fingers no eyes is more fitting. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: