Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle shaft protection inquiry.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Axle shaft protection inquiry. Reply with quote

Should I be concerned about any rocks scraping or otherwise damaging the axle shafts on my Baja? I’ve seen some people use rubber hose as a way of protecting them. What’s your thoughts on this?
I’m about to assemble my new cv’s and thought if I was going to do this now is the time. The question is should I?
If any of you have done this, what size/type hose have you used?

Thanks
Schepp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Axle shaft protection inquiry. Reply with quote

I've thought about that too and decided it's waste or time and effort. Unless you actually sleeved it with something that will give structural support like a steel tube, etc, you won't be able to prevent it from bending if you land wrong on a big rock. Anything like a rubber hose, etc, would just get nicked up and look like crap. I decided to leave mine shiny metal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Axle shaft protection inquiry. Reply with quote

All that will do is hold water and cause corrosion.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Axle shaft protection inquiry. Reply with quote

Don’t think it’s necessary. I haven’t ever seen it and I haven’t seen or heard of a broken axle on a bug. Not that it hasn’t happened , just don’t think it’s at all common.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle shaft protection inquiry. Reply with quote

I use protective heat shrink because I have seen a few axles break due to chips from rock impacts creating stress risers over the years - we used to combat it by just wrapping the things in a lot of electrical tape but glue lined heatshrink is much easier and neater:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: