Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official SO42 Details and Changes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

That early curtain Material looks good.Guess it'll have to be the Check Material,which I quite like too Smile
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge the early pre fabrik 667 curtain material is not being currently being repopped
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
To the best of my knowledge the early pre fabrik 667 curtain material is not being currently being repopped

Thanks for that.Confirms what I suspected.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

an OG paint Dove Blue tin-top SO42 popped up for sale.

Very cool fade on the nose and it sports a not so common color option; especially for a tin-top.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2612992
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
an OG paint Dove Blue tin-top SO42 popped up for sale.

Very cool fade on the nose and it sports a not so common color option; especially for a tin-top.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2612992

Tintops are only good for one thing... cutting a big hole in the roof and adding a Dormobile top. Very Happy
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Prior to 67, SO42's came with non-tempered glass in the Jalousies.
In 67 they changed to tempered glass.

Awesome thread, thanks for all the info guys.

Not trying to argue with the experts, but I think there is more to this story.
Not sure if it is a mid to late year change, port destination, or what, but I am pretty sure I have seen quite a few 67’s with laminated glass still..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

House wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Prior to 67, SO42's came with non-tempered glass in the Jalousies.
In 67 they changed to tempered glass.

Awesome thread, thanks for all the info guys.

Not trying to argue with the experts, but I think there is more to this story.
Not sure if it is a mid to late year change, port destination, or what, but I am pretty sure I have seen quite a few 67’s with laminated glass still..?

Totally possible it was not right at the beginning of production for 67. I'm sure Westfalia would have used up their stock of laminated glass first before switching over to newer glass. It could have also been contingent on the destination since some countries began to require it.

My Jan. 03 production SO42 did have tempered glass and it is a tourist edition bus picked up in Europe but sold in California for the US market.
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

Here is my fabrik number. Are there any ambiguitys around the 1965 SO42, I could grab some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Here is my fabrik number. Are there any ambiguitys around the 1965 SO42, I could grab some pictures.

Early 65's are where most of the different details happen. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic of your mcode plate since it looks like it may have been delivered to France which makes it fairly unique. Beautiful Westy BTW, checked out the photos in your gallery.
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks,

I removed the mcode image previously because I was worried about sharing the vin#, It wouldn't take a genius to work it out from these images.  Smile

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Hi! Thanks,

I removed the mcode image previously because I was worried about sharing the vin#, It wouldn't take a genius to work it out from these images.  Smile

Some cool options there, apparently for the French market (Klaxon horn and yellow lights):

M-CODE Description Concerned models From chassis number To chassis number
025 US-spec bumpers and 6 pop-out windows
025 Mountinf for safety belts
108 Camping Equipment (Westfalia SO-42) "without side windows" (5 louvered windows instead of all solid/popout windows) Westfalia SO42 kit

123 Special resister ignition Export
123 Special suppression equipment
133 ??? - 2 tons klaxon for french market
168 88 ampere/hour battery (6V)
181 Chrome hubcaps
397 Equiped for France (yellow headlamps, right rear view mirror and rear reflectors)
B42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Hi! Thanks,

Some cool options there, apparently for the French market (Klaxon horn and yellow lights):

M-CODE Description Concerned models From chassis number To chassis number
025 US-spec bumpers and 6 pop-out windows
025 Mountinf for safety belts
108 Camping Equipment (Westfalia SO-42) "without side windows" (5 louvered windows instead of all solid/popout windows) Westfalia SO42 kit

133 ??? - 2 tons klaxon for french market
168 88 ampere/hour battery (6V)
181 Chrome hubcaps
397 Equiped for France (yellow headlamps, right rear view mirror and rear reflectors)
B42 SO-42 Westfalia interior, pop-up top, side tent, and roof rack

I always liked this color combination that were so special to these SO 42s. Our neighbors here in Seattle had a ‘65 exactly like this that they brught back from Germany as part of the tourist delivery program. Only difference was it did not have the french designation. This is when as a 10 year old boy I fell in love with these. You have a beautiful Westfalia my friend Very Happy !

Bill
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Hi! Thanks,

Here is an mcode plate from another French delivered SO42 (65) with basically the exact same mcode plate (minus color/production day/month/serial):

BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

I gave the van a wash lastnight and took a few pics of some of the things i remembered being discussed in this thread. (1965)

Before someone points it out. The curtains and the poptop fabric arnt correct. They were changed because the originals were disintegrating. I do have the correct poptop fabric but god knows when I'll get a chance to change it, also the emblem on the front should be white. The original is hanging in the garage. Smile

Any idea what these might be?

I do have this fitted. I think it could be something to do with hot starting (black tape was me to tidy the ends.)

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

The relay looks like something added by a previous owner. If it is traceable to the starter it is probably a starter relay (called Hard Start Relay). I used to wire these in on 6 volt VWs and Porsches. It would achieve easier and better starter rotation for quicker cold starts or hot starts. The 6 volts needed all the help they could get. Trace the wires and see where they go.

Bill
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

^^ X2 on hot start relay, although I might consider relocating it to another location.
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

I have a Pearl White '66 with the dark linoleum flooring. It's very original. I'll take some pics this weekend to see the build date etc. It's down at my buddy's shop getting all new suspension, brakes, rebuilt tranny etc installed.

Lots of valuable info on this thread. Cool

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^ X2 on hot start relay, although I might consider relocating it to another location.

Why would you relocate it?
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

Why would you relocate it?

Yeah, that is a good, up and out of the way location utilizing an existing mounting fixture

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Capt'n Crusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official SO42 Details and Changes Reply with quote

I purchased my ’65 Westfalia Weekender in 1998 and I’ve always believed the plate on the closet was correct and the bed was replaced later by a previous owner due to the mismatched mounting screws of the bed hinges. I’m the 4th owner.

Build date: Jan 27, 1965
Chassis number: 235096054

M code plate
Destination: Washington D.C.
108: Camping Equipment (Westfalia SO-42)
A42: SO-42 Westfalia interior, no exterior fitments
Weekender “Tin Top”

Fabrik plates

Closet: 290
Bed: 874

Velvet Green
Bulk head/non-walk through
Clam shell lights 

No rear hatch latch or receiver plate
Original roof rack with replaced wood so no OG ID plates
Silver push buttons on all cabinet handles
Early style water tank filler location with Wale spigot
Shore power plug over left tail light

This thread previously showed the Fabrik plate moved to the bed location at Fabrik 22. I’ve always believed the Fabrik plate on my closet to have been the original, but mine is Fabrik 290 and in the wrong location. Fabrik plate 874 on the bed seems well after the other ones posted here that were built in the last two weeks of January 1965, “SO42 #0014 made on Jan 18/65”,

**So my question is...*
Are either of these plates correct for my bus? My theory has always been a previous owner replaced the bed and he move the original plate to the closet, albeit in the wrong location.

Awesome work on this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: