Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what this chrome bezel below the ignition switch is for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And I have two large switches here, presumably for the wipers and headlights, but which is which? And which hole in the dash do they belong to?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

It’s for a power plug, I believe I saw it in a previous post of parts you have.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Amazon has the power plugs, I purchased one recently.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Cool. Still learning a lot about these great little cars!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

On my 62 B cab.
Wiper switch is right of clock, cig lighter is between clock & speedo. Headlight switch is between tach & speedo. Hand throttle is left of tach between combo gauge and tach.
Headlight switch pulls out twice, once for parking lights and second time for headlights. Wiper switch pulls once with reostat to control wiper speed.
I’d send a pic if I knew how to post them.
If you have fog lights, switch is on dash above ignition switch for 62. Elsewhere on later models.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

The power plug is called a DIN plug. You can get them with dual USB ports, again at Amazon. My 62 has the same socket as yours as does my 78 VW Westfalia.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Thanks slip, that’s helpful. I don’t have a hand throttle, just the two small holes for the light and wiper switches, and a larger hole for the cig lighter (which is missing).

Keeping with the interiors, was the floor carpeted or did it just get the big rubber mats?
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Heavy rubber mats front & back, most folks buy sisal mats for on top of the rubber. Coco mats company advertises in the 356 Registry magazine. I have them, expensive but well worth it. Son bought them for me for X-mas a few yrs back.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

The hand throttle disappeared for 63 & beyond. I like it when warming up the engine with my Weber carbs. All it does is depresses the accelerator a bit which you can obviously do when in the car.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Regarding the rubber mats, the front half of the tunnel gets a rubber cover, not as heavy as the floor, while the back half is carpet.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Was at my car yesterday.
As usual Jack is correct. The carpeted tunnel runs forward to about the shift lock with the rubber mat just fitting over the carpet edge.
Carpeting is vertical in the back seat area below the leather/vinyl seat pads.
At 81 my memory is not quite what it was.
If you buy a quality carpet kit it will fit just fine, that’s what I did.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

That's great info guys, thanks. I'm assuming all the carpet gets glued down and the mats just lay down with no glue? Also, does anyone have a good source for interior door panels (the fibreboard card behind the upholstery) and the upholstered panel?
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

The door & other panels are one piece, hardboard & upholstery together. Stoddard is a good choice for either vinyl or leather. There are lot of other places as well. I believe all cabs came with leather and was optional on coupes.
Best to get all panels from one source so they all match, color & material grain.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Yes, all carpet is glued, rubber mats are heavy, formed to fit and just lay on the floor.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
The door & other panels are one piece, hardboard & upholstery together. Stoddard is a good choice for either vinyl or leather. There are lot of other places as well. I believe all cabs came with leather and was optional on coupes.
Best to get all panels from one source so they all match, color & material grain.

Auto's International makes all of the interior pieces, including carpet, for Stoddard so if you order direct it is cheaper. Stoddard is great for most other reproduced parts since they are the ones reproducing them.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
Slip356 wrote:

Auto's International makes all of the interior pieces, including carpet, for Stoddard so if you order direct it is cheaper. Stoddard is great for most other reproduced parts since they are the ones reproducing them.

Autos replaced the interior on my dad's (now my son's) 1960 Roadster back in 1990 when it got restored. Excellent materials and workmanship--I highly recommend them.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Nice. Their website is a little anemic and they don't really list parts or prices. Hopefully I can contact them to get some info. Seems like a good route to go.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

This weekend I'm going to apply some POR-15 to the battery floor. The metal is solid, just a light surface rust on it. My question is, looking at the pic is there anything missing? Brackets for the battery? Hold down clips or bolts? Are those square nuts original?

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Are you going to treat the surface rust before applying por 15?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Cabrio Garage Find - Introduction and questions! Reply with quote

Yes, I bought some of this stuff to prep the metal...

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/metal-prep-946-...lsrc=aw.ds
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: