Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
26kick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just brought my '62 T-6B out of storage and the cork gasket for the (dreaded) bottom fuel gauge/tank sender has failed. Gas basically falls out of the tank. I know I need a new gasket but I recall issues with the sender as well.
What is the latest best replacement sender? I read somewhere that there's a VW unit that is a drop in. If true, which one? Any suggestions for this rare situation?
Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

Call north Hollywood Speedometer. They told me what to buy, sent it to them. They reconfigured it to work upside down. Caution, I drive 100 + miles before it starts to register, then drops fast.
I use the trip odometer & fill up at 250 miles or so.
26kick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

Hey Slip. I've spoken with Ralph at Hollywood speedometer twice. He's still trying to find a solution. He said that VDO discontinued many parts during the pandemic. I like your odometer technique, or I could use the fuel cock reserve function. But I feel the fuel cock is fragile at best. Or Stoddard makes a gas tank for $400 that has the hole on top where readily available senders could be used. But then I'd have to get into that job. And probably replace my gauge for who knows how many $$ as I have the one that begins with "0" on the left, then "R" in the middle, then 2/4 and 4/4.
Thank you for responding, Slip. Any other ideas are much appreciated!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting a tank with a top sender if for no other reason than to eliminate this problem in the future. Good luck!!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

Take it apart and clean it there are two FRAGEL wires that the float rides up & down changing the OHM's just remove the covering tube and degunk the wires with some Deoxit D5. The procedure id detailed in beetle 68 up by telford door I think.
26kick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

I'd like to try disassembling it and cleaning it as starbucket suggests. Can anyone link me to the description of how to do it? I've searched to no avail. I found plenty of info on Mercedes. Sender disassembly but not VDO tube senders. Thanks!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreaded T-6B bottom fuel tank gauge sender Reply with quote

PM telford dorr and ask him for the link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: