Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A New Book ......
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

Stumbled upon this.......
A new book is out and written by a Vanagon owner and member here..... Joetiger!

Vanagon to Louisiana

You might want to check it out.......

https://www.amazon.com/Vanagon-Louisiana-Two-Lane-...amp;sr=8-1

It is also in the classifieds on thesamba.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

Thank you, Dave! I've gotten very positive feedback so far (but haven't heard from any Samba members yet. Very Happy)

The book's acknowledgements give a nod to everybody here, past and present. My vans have all been built on Samba knowledge and friendship, and I truly appreciate it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

Sounds like a little bit of Blue Highways and Travels with Charley. Looking forward to checking it out Joe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

Looking forward the read, especially now that I know what your name is. I always assumed you were J. O. Etiger, as in Et' eh jer, rhyming with integer. What a Dunce I am.

I love armchair adventures. I've been around the Horn in square rigged sailing ships dozens of times. To the top of Everest with Mallory and Tensing and many others. The South pole with Scott, Amundsen, and Shackleton. Across the Darien Gap, up the high peaks of Patagonia and of course all the way around with Sloucum in Spray.

Yours will be yet another great yarn with a fire roaring and a glass of Lagavulin 16 YO.

Duncan
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

The trip through the Darian gap is gnarly.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Thank you, Dave! I've gotten very positive feedback so far (but haven't heard from any Samba members yet. Very Happy)

Holy cow, I noticed your new avatar picture but didn't connect it with anything. Congratulations on publication of your book.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

Thanks folks!

The original idea was a Blue Highways-type book, but it morphed into something much different during its creation.

I have read many travelogues over the years and a lot of them are point A to point B, we ate here, the vehicle died here, friendly locals came to our rescue, etc., and while I love those books, I wanted this to reflect the emotional punch of the trip and the serendipity of so many themes coming together at one time.

I know this is a tough crowd and I'm honored that you'll consider reading it. It would not exist without you all.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

how do i get my copy signed?

Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

Laughing

Give it to me and I’ll bring it to Syncro Solstice. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Laughing

Give it to me and I’ll bring it to Syncro Solstice. Cool

Beter yet, come to Syncro Solstice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

It sounds like a special read and although I'm not much of a book reader, I truly am looking forward to reading it.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

Laughing

Nothing, and I mean nothing, sounds more fun to me than a national book tour in my Vanagon, going town-to-town and signing one or two copies in every indie bookstore from here to Harpswell. Smile However, I worked with a small publisher with a small budget and I still gotta do my day job.

Come to Syncro Solstice!

Marcdeb wrote:
It sounds like a special read and although I'm not much of a book reader, I truly am looking forward to reading it.

Thank you, Marc! I hope you enjoy it.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Laughing

Come to Syncro Solstice!

going camping in my Westy that weekend, maybe next time.

BiWerks Design, LLC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: A New Book ...... Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
joetiger wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Laughing

Come to Syncro Solstice!

going camping in my Westy that weekend, maybe next time.

Going camping and lazily reading a good Vanagon book in your hammock, I hope.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: