Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

I have a set of NOS Kolbenschmidt domed high compression 77mm pistons, and was wondering if they were feasible to run with a stroker crank. It feels like I should shelve them for another build, but I already own them..
I have a 69mm 36hp. crank from DPR, and some nice heads that are getting done with the Okrasa valves, and cut down 2mm. I know I could get 80mm, but I already own these..
My rough calculations say it would be 8.8:1, IF there wasn't any valve to piston interference.
Thoughts?

*edited for spelling

Last edited by esde on Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Why not build it? Sounds perfect to me.
Single port heads w/ Okrasa valves? Awesome. I'm running 8.5:1 w/ 40 hp big bore and it runs amazing, HOT but amazing.
Dual carbs with Some tall manifolds, light flywheel, the right cam and that is the perfect vintage speed build.
Not too technical or crazy, other than the p/c's that's the next build I'd like to do if I get to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Why not build it? Sounds perfect to me.
Single port heads w/ Okrasa valves? Awesome. I'm running 8.5:1 w/ 40 hp big bore and it runs amazing, HOT but amazing.
Dual carbs with Some tall manifolds, light flywheel, the right cam and that is the perfect vintage speed build.
Not too technical or crazy, other than the p/c's that's the next build I'd like to do if I get to it.

Yeah, Okrasa valves, and then opening the intake per some old posts I found here. Then cutting the heads down so the chamber is not such a cavern Shocked
The attractive part of this build is, 69mm crank will require shimming each side 2.5mm. I know I can take 2mm off each head, so maybe I'll end up 1mm wider than stock.
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

It's on!
parts are arriving, and I'm eager to mock it up.
One thing I am eager to see, is the piston to head clearance. I have to order the cam, but I should probably give them piston to head clearance, to lessen the chances of interference, right? It's tough to know what step to take first. I have a domed piston, protruding into a chamber that I intend to make smaller, and an (undecided) cam sticking the valves into this hypothetical space. In a perfect world, what order do I go about this? The cam will either come from Isky or Schneider
SD
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Hang on. If you have not dived into the heads yet. Stop and re evaluate. - The sgl port heads do not need more exhaust valve. It flows well as it is. In fact the I/E ratio can be quite nice with the 33 mm intake, giving you a significantly better overall powerband..
Next. while the shimming of the cylinders etc is normal in this type of biulds you can minimize it by mirror machining the pistons. You can easily take away 1 mm on the outer diameter so that the piston protrudes into the chamber. This will reduce the need for shims.
8,8 CR with the stock cam is pushing it. I would stay below 8,5.
As for running hot. - Not necessarily. Swopping the fan to a 40 hp one will give you more cooling air at lower rpms. Another option is speeding up the factory fan with a 356 generator pulley. (I prefer the 40 hp fan swop)
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Hang on. If you have not dived into the heads yet. Stop and re evaluate. - The sgl port heads do not need more exhaust valve. It flows well as it is. In fact the I/E ratio can be quite nice with the 33 mm intake, giving you a significantly better overall powerband..

Sorry if I wasn't clear, larger Okrasa intakes are the plan. And a little work on the intake port as described by Burly in another thread

Alstrup wrote:
Next. while the shimming of the cylinders etc is normal in this type of biulds you can minimize it by mirror machining the pistons. You can easily take away 1 mm on the outer diameter so that the piston protrudes into the chamber. This will reduce the need for shims. )

Interesting. With your experience, is there an advantage to doing as you describe "mirror machining" over cutting the heads to bring the chamber down closer to the piston? Maybe a combination of both?

Alstrup wrote:
8,8 CR with the stock cam is pushing it. I would stay below 8,5.
As for running hot. - Not necessarily. Swopping the fan to a 40 hp one will give you more cooling air at lower rpms. Another option is speeding up the factory fan with a 356 generator pulley. (I prefer the 40 hp fan swop)

I plan to use a cam from Isky or Schneider, I think in the past you had recommended the M6708-18 . I suppose after the new year I will reach out to them and see where those conversations lead. And the 40hp fan is waiting on the shelf..
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

OK. With more cam duration it is of course a different matter.
To be honest I have mainly done it when I needed more compression, like 9-1 or so. - Donīt think there is a lot of difference at the end of the day except that you will need less shims under the cylinders.

Isky & Schneider are of course also an option. I like the Elgin better.
With sgl port intakes you will be interested in conservative duratio and higher valve lift. The right thing to do was to have a split dur cam made for it. But I have only little experience in doing that with the 36 hp base.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Thanks Alstrup. Your advice is greatly appreciated
I'll update this as things come together
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

esde wrote:
With your experience, is there an advantage to doing as you describe "mirror machining" over cutting the heads to bring the chamber down closer to the piston? Maybe a combination of both?

One thing to consider when setting deck height and considering cylinder shimming and such- is that the heads/ combustion chamber cool WAY better than the iron cylinders.
So when possible avoid shimming the base of the cylinder, many big-engine builders still copper shim the head to keep the deck as tight as possible. You want as much of the combustion to happen in the head as possible, as opposed to at the end of the cylinder- if that makes sense.
I'm building a late dual port now and will probably be taking 1mm off the end of the cylinder to lower deck height and get over 8.5:1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: high comp pistons with stroker crank for 36hp Reply with quote

Personally I do not like copper shimming except when using Nikasil cylinders. There it can be beneficial. When using cast iron or biral barrels it is almost always the copper shims that give in and result in premature cylinder to head leakage. For this very reason I never use them, Porsche or VW.
Taking 1 to 1,5 mm out of the cylinder base and then use a copper shim between cylinder and head is counter productive. You get exactly the same result as if you kept a larger deck height in the cylinder because the copper shim will just release its heat where it can get rid of it which is mainly the cylinder since it is the coolest of the 2 surfaces.
If you want to improve it you can zero deck the cylinders and then step cut the heads so you have a perfect 40 to 43 thousands tolerance. Then you get the heads to work their best and the least temperature in the cylinders.
The next thing is oil. By using splashers or squirters to spray oil on the underside of the pistons as well as cylinder walls to keep them wet and oiled at all times will also contribute to removing heat and keep the piston well tempered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: