Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold gaskets
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

So, my Empi dual carb kit came with the paper gaskets to be installed between the cylinder head and manifold, but I also have a set of the metal crush style gaskets...

Which one should I use ? Or doesn't matter ?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Use the paper ones.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Use the paper ones.

Uh-owe. I went out of my way to use metal gaskets between my dual Brosols and dual-port heads, thinking it'd be good to take some BTUs of heat from heads for a tiny bit of head cooling as well as "pre-heating" for the intake manifolds. What's the reasoning behind paper gaskets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

the original ones work fine and should help heat transfer...which is less of an issue with short dual carb manifolds than it is with a single carb setup...the only time i ever used composition ones were on ported heads/manifolds where you really had no choice cause you had to cut the gasket to the shape of the port...either will work and i certainly wouldn't take apart a functional engine to change to a different type
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Use the fiber (paper) gaskets. IMO, they seal any imperfections on the intake manifolds or the heads. better than the metal gaskets.

Plus, when you have to take the carbs/manifolds off the engine to rejet, change sparkplugs. You'll be happy that you can reuse the fiber gaskets.

Just shmier some Chapstick on the gaskets, so they release the manifolds with ease.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

The stock metal intake gaskets are a one-time use crush gasket and can not be re-used. The fiber gaskets can be re-used a few times if you're careful with them.

If you are running any kind of single center mount carb you should use the factory metal gaskets. They transfer the needed heat to the manifold. If you are running dual carbs with stock intake ports you can run either. If you are running dual carbs on heads that have been ported, then the fiber gaskets are you only choice.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

Or use a thin smear of loctite 518 and no gasket
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gaskets Reply with quote

I have used the metal gaskets for dual-port manifolds on my two VWs. Same still in place on my 1835cc engine from its 1986 rebuild, and since 2017 on my 1600cc engine.

No - these metal gaskets are one-use only.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: