Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

I was "attempting" to install my new pulley and belt last night, but the belt seemed to be WAY too small. I have a 73 Westy, does anyone have a belt size they use? I have a newer engine in the bus, replaced the original, and the belt I bought (CONITECH AVX10X888) is about an inch too short. I did put the belt on the pulley first and then tried to wrap in around. Any ideas, different belts to look into?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your belt should be Conti 10x965

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

sweeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Gatorback 11x965 from AutoZone, so could I get a Gatorback 10x965 from the same place. I just purchased a Dynaflex by Dayco at Pep Boys. Anyone else have any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

sweeds wrote:
I was "attempting" to install my new pulley and belt last night, but the belt seemed to be WAY too small. I have a 73 Westy, does anyone have a belt size they use? I have a newer engine in the bus, replaced the original, and the belt I bought (CONITECH AVX10X888) is about an inch too short. I did put the belt on the pulley first and then tried to wrap in around. Any ideas, different belts to look into?

Thanks

same issue here. I have a 71 Westy (alternator) and just replaced the alternator pulley and have a new belt (contitech 11.3 x 912 La) that i cannot get on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in the videos i have watched, they put the belt on, then rear pulley piece on, then tighten it down. When i try to put the belt on, i cannot get the rear pulley section on without it being open more at the top vs the bottom and it pinches the belt when i try to tighten it down.
see example:

Also, in the videos it seems the belt rides further up on the pulley than mine appears to reach. Do i need a longer belt or am i doing my first belt change incorrectly?
Thanks for your input.

Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you. the Stranger
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

To get it to ride up on your partly tightened top pulley, turn the nut, the pulley ( and the engine) will turn and the belt will ride up as the nut tightens down. If the pulley half is still not square you need more shims between or a longer belt. Only when it's all looking good should you lock the pulley and tighten to spec.
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
turn the nut, the pulley ( and the engine) will turn and the belt will ride up as the nut tightens down. .

AH, What i am doing is tightening the nut to the point it turns them all. So instead, manually turn the three (nut,pulley,pulley) before the nut is tightened down completely. will report back.

Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:
turn the nut, the pulley ( and the engine) will turn and the belt will ride up as the nut tightens down. .

AH, What i am doing is tightening the nut to the point it turns them all. So instead, manually turn the three (nut,pulley,pulley) before the nut is tightened down completely. will report back.
No you have it right - that's what I meant - let the nut turn everything.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

Got enough shims between the pulley halves? A 11mm belt is going to effectively be shorter than a 10mm belt of the same length as it will ride higher in the pulleys.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

we have multiple alternators and designs here being discussed. The original 2004 post discusses a North American 1973 pancake engine with an alternator under the tin, that rotates to adjust. A 1971 upright came with a generator, is managed with shims, and someone has upgraded it to an alternator. Two different animals.

To the latest poster - if the belt on the 1971 bus worked for a long time all you need to do is look at the numbers on it to see what it is and buy one that size. If it fails frequently then maybe the alignment of the belt is off. Who upgraded it?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
same issue here. I have a 71 Westy (alternator) and just replaced the alternator pulley and have a new belt (contitech 11.3 x 912 La) that i cannot get on.

Pulleys are not all the same. Some of them will simply not work with the 11.3 x 912 "alternator" belt. Try the standard VW generator-size 9.5 x 905 belt. That's what I use
on my '71 bus with alternator, because it's the only size that works with the pulleys I have.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

You can do this with a screwdriver while the engine is running.,,,wait,,,is this allowed ??
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
A 1971 upright came with a generator, is managed with shims, and someone has upgraded it to an alternator. Two different animals.

To the latest poster - if the belt on the 1971 bus worked for a long time all you need to do is look at the numbers on it to see what it is and buy one that size. If it fails frequently then maybe the alignment of the belt is off. Who upgraded it?

let me start at the beginning, the engine was purchased from west coast core and was covered with chrome tin/fan shroud and cheap aftermarket components at the PO's request.
I have recently over hauled the engine with OG carb, distributor, fuel pump, tin, and fan shroud. not long after the install of all the new pieces, the belt came of the pulley. the belt had turned around and the teeth were facing out. during the install of the parts it was noted that the chrome alternator pulley was slightly warped and a new one was purchased. i decided to install a new belt and pulley thinking this may be the problem.
I installed the new belt from the info learned earlier in thread. I had to use 12 shims in the middle to even get the belt to move the pulleys. Once installed, i ran engine for a minute to see how it looked. I then touched the pulleys and belt and they were very hot. I assume due to improper belt installation. but looking into it, i may have bigger issues than the belt.

It appears with the belt off that the pulleys are not in align, they look better with the belt on but still not lined up correctly.

looks like if am off to a different thread.
Thanks for all the input from all.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

I’ll guess you have the wrong parts in the shroud, forward of the alternator.

The pulleys have to align or the belt will either flip off or wear prematurely
Y
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

I think you may have hinted that you changed the fan shroud. The original 1971 engine had a 38 amp generator. Earlier buses had a 30 amp. The 38 amp pulley is different I believe, and the fan backing plate sits deeper. A mis-alignment because of the parts may be playing into this if the shroud was changed. My suggestion is work with someone who has been thru a fan shroud changed, and who knows what parts work together. I can see that the belt is offset and that is probably causing it to roll. Talk with any of the early bay guys on this. I'd start with Robbie ( Asiab3 )
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

Thanks for the shoutout Steve Smile I was actually supervising AhnwS71 with the shroud, tin, and oil cooler swap, and engine installation. I remember sighting the belt alignment and not seeing any flagrant issues. He has the correct backing plate, pulley, and fan/hub parts for his new doghouse cooling system, complete with Hoover Bit, and stepped oil cooler seals with proper washer distribution. We dotted our I’s, crossed our T’s, and umlauted our.... umlauts?

We did notice the chrome pulleys on hand had visible radial and axial runout when spin by hand. I don’t need my micrometer to know trash when I see it. Smile

When installing a new belt OR pulley on a Type 1 engine, start with all your shims inside the pulley halves, no exceptions. This makes the belt as loose as possible and ensures the pulley halves can sit down flush. If too loose, remove one shim (stick it under the special pulley washer on the outside!) and try again. I can’t overstate the importance of alt/gen pulley seating enough, and the biggest mistake during installation is pinching the belt before the pulley halves are fully seated.

Do you remember during our work day when we installed the belt and debated shim movement, where we let the pulley spin a few times during tightening? This ensures the pulley halves are mating symmetrically, as the belt won’t bind up in one spot. That’s what your new pulley pictures look like to me.

Another problem I have witnessed with almost every new aftermarket pulley, is that the metal isn’t not stamped symmetrically. Take each pulley half and lay them large side down on flat glass, (a clean rear window works in a pinch.) There should be NO knocking, clicking, or rocking. Most pulleys stamped with a “Made in Germany” (but in Russian) stamping are out of round, probably from excessively pressure, or stamping without supporting properly.

If it passes this test, and many don’t, install it with a properly and thoroughly adjusted belt, warm up the engine until it’s idles smoothly, and sight down the pulleys, keeping dangly hair, clothes, or jewelry out of the skinny bits! Are the pulleys perfectly parallel with each other? Or is the belt making a jog front to back?

I wager your new pulley wouldn’t make it past the unpaid intern inspection for the Rocket City Trash Pandas. Wink
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

maybe it is just the angle but something looks cocked in the photo and the belt looks distorted at the top to me. The exterior part of the pulley looks caddywhompus to me too. Maybe it is a warped pulley.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
maybe it is just the angle but something looks cocked in the photo and the belt looks distorted at the top to me. The exterior part of the pulley looks caddywhompus to me too. Maybe it is a warped pulley.

I had noticed that the upper pulley didn't seem to be fully seated. Either he doesn't have enough shims, or the belt is too short or too wide.

Just went through getting the right belt for my Toyota truck. Tried several belts from a local FLAPS, but none seemed quite right, so got a belt from the dealer and it was a perfect fit.
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

update: took engine out to see it better. installed belt and it appears to be off by a small bit. i placed the new pulley parts against glass with the outside of the pulley touching the glass. no movement on one and barely any one the other. Pulley seems ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDLjiQrUzk

see what happened to the old belt

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

Your upper pulley just doesn't look right and the belt is running way too far down in the pulley. Put a paint mark on the nut and pulley, back the nut off counting the turns and then remove the belt. Now turn the nut back in the same number of turns you counted until the paint marks align. Are the two pulley halves now bound tightly to each other as they should be?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Alternator Belt - Need Help? Reply with quote

Looks like the belt is way too short from here.

Why is your vacuum advance port on the distributor capped off?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: