Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve train noise.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

A quick question someone here with high performance experience may be able to answer. I have a 1904cc Type 1 engine 74mm crank 90.5 pistons with an Engle 110,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Autocraft 1.25 to 1 rockers, steel pushrods and single heavy duty valve spring. The valve train on this engine is a bit noisier than the stock 1600 or 36hp in my other VWS. Is more valve train noise than stock normal with these components?
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

How have you adjusting the steel push rods?
)should be a loose .000” .
Are you running lash caps with those rocker arms?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
How have you adjusting the steel push rods?
)should be a loose .000” .
Are you running lash caps with those rocker arms?

Yes to both questions.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

performance valve trains are not always louder, some are quieter, but your combo would tend to be loud IMO.

The engle 110 is not the quietest, but not the loudest.
Steel pushrods are louder than aluminum
Those rockers are higher ratio off the seat than OE style 1.25 rockers, and aren't those needle roller too? That might be louder.

And there could be something wrong with it, bad grind on the cam, loose lifter bores, or really any part of the system can be loose that causes your lash to not be what you think it is, even the cam itself loose in it's bearings.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Rocker side play makes a big difference to valve train noise too.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Check to make sure the roller cages in those rockers are intact.

Have you had them apart for inspection?

What’s That Noise?!?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

It's not the rockers. Steel push rods will transmit more noise than aluminum. That is not saying steel push rods are louder they just transmit more noise. Aluminum is softer and will deaden sound more than steel. It's also kinda why straight cut steel cam gears are louder than aluminum cam gears.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's not the rockers. Steel push rods will transmit more noise than aluminum. That is not saying steel push rods are louder they just transmit more noise. Aluminum is softer and will deaden sound more than steel. It's also kinda why straight cut steel cam gears are louder than aluminum cam gears.

You are wrong on both counts. Straight cut gears are noisy because they are not helically cut. New car companies helically cut the manual transmission gears to quiet them even though there is a friction penalty from increased thrust loads. Steel pushrods are noisy because they will have more hot valve clearance than aluminum even when adjusted to loose zero. This large amount of lash keeps the train out the sweet spot of the cams lash ramps. If the steel pushrod is what is making the noise, then why are they quiet when the engine is cold??? Gentil take-up of the lash makes the valve train quiet no matter what material is used.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Rocker side play makes a big difference to valve train noise too.

I'm going to recheck that.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

You are wrong on both counts. Straight cut gears are noisy because they are not helically cut. New car companies helically cut the manual transmission gears to quiet them even though there is a friction penalty from increased thrust loads. Steel pushrods are noisy because they will have more hot valve clearance than aluminum even when adjusted to loose zero. This large amount of lash keeps the train out the sweet spot of the cams lash ramps. If the steel pushrod is what is making the noise, then why are they quiet when the engine is cold??? Gentil take-up of the lash makes the valve train quiet no matter what material is used.

The valve train noise is quieter when starting cold engine and becomes more audible as the engine warms to operating temperature.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Dave is right that aluminum damps vibrations better than steel.

But it's not the main thing.
Louder when hot is because the lash is opening up.

Tight lash cold and loose hot IMO is totally backward from what you want for a street car so that's why we use aluminum pushrods.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Tight lash cold and loose hot IMO is totally backward from what you want for a street car so that's why we use aluminum pushrods.

X2 Exactly Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

The grind on the cam itself varies.
Wanted to share this with Dan, but might as well share with you all.

zero to .100 lift graph
web 218 VS web 110 VS engle 110

That engle 110 in that graph was the cleanest one I ever saw, those cams were from 15 or 20 year ago.

Here is a more recent engle 110 VS 218, now both on sc1 hard blanks. Seems to be far more bumpy distortion (grinder push off?)
Which makes me think they are grinding the cams with opposite rotation.
Having the closing ramp faster than the opening ramp makes no sense, oops engle.

So overall point being an engle 110 seems to be designed so the valve starts accelerating about .008 lift, so you want all the slack taken up by then, and that's often not enough. While web starts accelerating at .012

But if yOUR engle 110 is all lumpy in the wrong places because it's a ground poorly then it's not just the lash problem, you can have lots of problems at once.

Last edited by modok on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

modok wrote:

So...that begs the question. Does anyone know on average what the hot lash is with steel vs aluminum?

I ask because though I have worked on a number of type 4 engines with steel pushrods, I have not had a chance to measure hot lash on any of them. I will shortly be cutting and installing a set in a type 4 1.8L (and a set later into my 1.7L build).

I have measured quite a few stock aluminum PR's at hot lash. I bother to do it because I set my lash cold and adjust the differences out hot.

The stock, thick wall aluminum type 4 PR's when adjusted to a cold 0.006" tend to close up to ~0.003" in winter and spring weather and about 0.0025" in summer heat (really a no go on a 0.003" and a loose 0.002").

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

I run a set of empi chromoly pushrods that i swear were loader that other brands I’ve run, and I’m not anti-empi so not just saying that because of they were empi. Probably like everything thing else with this crap, lotta variables…
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Where did you get those rockers? What brand?

They look like pot-metal specials - the feet areas are digging in. There were these Autocrafts before w/ rough castings.

YOu want to use the forged ones...from CB, Scat, or Berg.

I will rather use the stock ones and just change out the shafts.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

With my web 110 and aluminum pushrods, it runs quieter with lash at .006 cold than it does at .003 cold.
So that's kinda strange.
Not totally sure why but it might have to do with the fact the cam has lifters on both sides, and cam bearings aren't very tight, .004 cam bearing clearance is common.

perhaps if it doesn't have enough lash clearance then the other lobes are trying to act as the cam bearings. Shocked

Last edited by modok on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Plus do 1.25 Autocraft rockers measure out to more of a ratio like high 1.3s, and with a 110 camshaft that may not be the best match.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Where did you get those rockers? What brand?

They look like pot-metal specials - the feet areas are digging in. There were these Autocrafts before w/ rough castings.

YOu want to use the forged ones...from CB, Scat, or Berg.

I will rather use the stock ones and just change out the shafts.

The rockers are Autocraft purchased by the former owner of the car in 1987. I have all the documentation on the car. Engine was originally built by Lyle Cherry in 1977. The former owner (my late friend) went through it in 87 and installed the milder cam and lowered the compression ratio to 8.5. The car was driven about 500 miles and then garaged for decades.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Valve train noise. Reply with quote

Maybe I should try running stock aluminum push rods. The engine formerly had dual valve springs but I changed them out for single heavy duty springs as the duals weren't needed with the 110 cam and would only cause unnecessary tension and wear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: