Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Folks, I am *stoopid* excited to say that we finally got the full-steam-ahead from Governors Island for the rebirth of the Traffic Jam! This epic vintage Volkswagen show returns this August 20th, 2023 as Gridlock on Governor's Island! Known for legendary views of southern Manhattan and the stunning Lady Liberty there is simply NO show like it!

We're still hashing out a few details like camping the night before at Brooklyn's Skyline Drive In, a cruise across the Brooklyn Bridge from camp to the ferry docks, ferry times for show cars, our event photographers and all the details to make this every bit as awesome as you expect!

Join our Facebook group and also keep an eye on http://gridlocknyc.com for updates coming in the last week of May or the first week of June.
I can't wait to see everyone back at Picnic Point!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Note - this is an air-cooled only show (I asked)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

John is correct.
I'd love to see the show opened up in the future but Governor's Island limits us to 75 cars.
It was a tough decision for us, but like Traffic Jam before it, Gridlock will be ACVW only for now.
If this year goes well, and we can convince the island to let us increase the volume of cars I could see water pumpers making a showing too.

Sidenote when did I get more watercooled VWs than aircooled?
I think I need to buy more cars!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

What is the facepage group ?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

mouse action wrote:

mouse action wrote:

Over here...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/753790509597437

The website will be going up as soon as I have enough information about ferry times, capacity, etc.
For now, the facespace page has been a good tool to get word out; but we'll rely on the website for more indepth stuff as soon as it is locked down.

The basics are:

8/19 - Camping at SkyLine Drive In in Brooklyn. Camping will be $75 per carload, for the night. That includes camping, restrooms, admission to whatever movies are playing on any of their 3 big screens that night, and of course the most awesome views... Where in the 5 boroughs can you stay for just $75?! There's nothing like this...
There will also be a flea market and craft fair going on in the adjacent event area and the street.

8/20 - The show is on Governor's Island, which is only accessible (for vehicles) from the Manhattan side. We'll cruise over to the ferry terminal and will enter the island together. All cars attending MUST pre-register, there will be NO day of sales. We have to plan for the amount of cars coming on, and make sure we have ferry space. When you register, you will have the ability to select your ferry on time, and your ferry off time. The show is held on Governors Island's southern most area called Picnic Point. We'll be returning to the outer roadway, which over the years was the favored spot because it had the better views of the Statue of Liberty!

EZ ups are not allowed by the island, so please don't bring one. The island will ask you to take it down - or ask me to ask you to take it down - and I don't want to upset anyone. They banned EZ ups after they had more than a few blowing into the harbor disrupting marine traffic.

Attendance at the show is by the car full, final pricing will be announced shortly, we're just waiting for the final figure from the insurance writer. The island requires that participating vehicles be "identifiable" so all show vehicles must display a static cling on their windscreen. It can be removed after the show. It's the most elegant - non-adhesive - way to identify cars. The show used to use paper signs, but they blew all over the place if it was a windy day. There will be judging. The area clubs - DVG, CJVWS, CTVWA, SJVWC, and Filthy Buggers have all stepped up to take a "category" of vehicles. It should be a great day.

That's it for now! More as it comes!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

What is pre-registration for this going to look like? I know myself and one other car are extremely interested in making it to this.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
What is pre-registration for this going to look like? I know myself and one other car are extremely interested in making it to this.

I'm not going to launch the pre-registration site until I have the ferry information locked down from the island (as in the number of ferries, available times, and capacities)

But... When the site launches it'll be posted here and on the Facebook group. The site will collect some information such as name, vehicle model and year, and then will give you the option to select your time on and time off. If you're camping you'll have the ability to register for that as well.
In the end you'll check out and pay all through the site.

There will be NO day-of ticket sales. This is a hard rule.
The island has a hard ceiling on the number of cars we can have at the event.
Additionally, we only have so much capacity on each ferry so times must be assigned. Rather than me assigning arbitrary times, I will give people the ability to select their time on and time off and then I will submit those times to the island.

Keep an eye here and we'll launch soon!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Registration is live!

www.gridlocknyc.com

Cars MUST register online in order to reserve space on the ferries.
There will be no day-of or at the gate ticket sales.

Folks who sign up will be emailed two weeks prior to the show with details on the camping event the night before at Skyline Drive In in Brooklyn, NY. The views of midtown from here are absolutely amazing!

Show cars $75 (per carload)
Walk-in spectators do not need a ferry reservation and get in free!

Last edited by obnoxiousblue on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

SPACE IS LIMITED!

We’re quickly reaching capacity for show cars at this years Gridlock.
Remember you MUST pre-register, there are absolutely no admissions/ticket sales at the gate!

Spectators are free, and anyone can walk on the ferries to attend the show but if you want to bring your car you need to register! Don’t be the guy who drives his car all the way to southern Manhattan and gets turned around because you didn’t believe me!

Buy your ticket and you can always resell to someone else if you choose not to come. Remember to notify me of any ticket changes so that the reservation on the ferry matches the car that shows up at the show! All reservations become final on August 12!

Register sooner than later!
gridlocknyc.com

Details about camping will be sent out to registered show cars when the event sells out.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Done, the South Philly Van Club will be there in force.
My wife's favorite VW event venue, by far!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

SOLD OUT!

Thanks to everyone for helping build the hype.
Looking forward to an awesome show and seeing everyone back on Governors Island!

If you registered, keep an eye on your inbox for camping information and your ferry confirmations, also watch the Facebook page for some basics to make your trip to the show smoother!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

It’s almost time for Gridlock! While we’re not allowed to camp on Governors Island yet, we’ve lined up something uniquely New York and look forward to welcoming everyone to urban camping in Brooklyn.

Campers are invited to join us at:
NYC Glamping at Skyline Drive In
1 Oak Street - Brooklyn, NY 11222
on Saturday, August 19th as early as 11am.

This is “urban camping” and we will be on a concrete surface. If you are sleeping in a tent, plan on bringing an air mattress.
Ground fires are not allowed, but you can have a fire contained in a grille. Cooking is of course allowed. There are restrooms and a shower on site as well as overnight security.

IMPORTANT!!!
Vehicles carrying propane (pay attention here Westy drivers!) are not allowed to use the tunnels - you must cross by bridge.
Those coming from the south will look to the Verrazzano, and those coming from the north will look to the Throggs Neck or Whitestone bridges.

Glamping NYC charges me $75 per carload. There are no per-person charges. This covers your overnight as well as access to whatever movie(s) are playing on the Skyline screens that night. If you are camping, you must be prepaid.
We had anticipated that there may be limited space for folks who gambled to just show up, but Skyline is not willing to leave spaces unsold that could otherwise be used for the evenings movies or other events going on at the same time.

The Battery Maritime Building is 7.5 miles from the campsite. We recommend allowing for about a 30 minutes drive time. Even on a Sunday morning, this is New York and you should always anticipate some traffic - err, gridlock.

The only way to register for camping is to PayPal @MikeHoddinott $75. Please include your name in the memo section so I know who to hold space for.
https://www.paypal.me/MikeHoddinott
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

It's almost showtime! Thanks again to Michael for all the hard work making this unique show possible!!! See you there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ladder332
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Awesome show! Not to be missed if you can swing it for next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCxgLxQNakg
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

ladder332 wrote:
Awesome show! Not to be missed if you can swing it for next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCxgLxQNakg
X2 completely agree. The word awesome is an insufficient adjective to describe it. It wasn't just the car show it was the whole experience, the camping the prior night, the island itself and of course the people. You don't get views like this at a show every day!

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gridlock on Governors Island - August 20, 2023 - New York City Reply with quote

Love hearing that everyone had such a great time.
We're already setting up for 2024, expect the show to return!
Look for information to start coming out later in the spring.
Plan on it running exactly. how. it. did. lol

See you there!
-Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: