Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rob's Motor and Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

One of these days we're gonna need a "Clatter Classics" sticky for all his fantastic build threads. Laughing
Thanks for another detailed build Steve, though seeing the photos of the rockers brought on some flashbacks... As you say, those things are HARD.

That looks like a complete T4 store cam kit? If so, I'm jealous. That is the gold standard for parts.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

The cost of shipping to and from good shops + building sturdy boxes vs time wasted driving my stuff all over the place.

That's exactly why I've jumped ship to do swaps. My local machine shop is fantastic, and will do *some* acvw work for me but it's not really worth their time.

The final straw for me was my 1904 build. 1/3 of the cost was easily eaten up by shipping.

Finding people willing to spend what it REALLY takes to do an acvw build is a hard sell.... my last 1600 for a customer was around 6k. Trying to live up to that expectation for 60 horsepower just isn't worth it to me anymore.

crazy to think of the costs to do these engines today.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Rob!
Good to have you here my man.
Member since 2006 and nine posts..!
Shocked

I’m good for at least 9000 words/day. Embarassed

Let’s see some pics of the bus?

Or maybe I’ll post a couple of tin repair pics?

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Stoked to hear the kinds words, gentlemen.
Really glad to know these threads aren’t just farts in the wind.

Not everyone is interested in a type 4 deep dive.

On that note,
Jim just rejected the second batch of rods i brought him! Shocked

They looked fine to me.

He’s saying one looked like it was left outside in the rain or something.
I told him that i can shave down the perimeter and smooth it all out and lighten the others to match.
People used to do that all the time for performance reasons anyways.

But now he’s ripping down a core 914 2.0 he had just to get me some nice rod cores!
Aigh!

It’s really “coming to that” WRT core parts these days.
Seen piles of this stuff tossed into the trash in years past.
Guess results are predictable there, eh?

We’re going to have to just lower our standards here eventually.

But not just yet! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

he might have been worried about porosity in the steel due to the water. Some damage to rods can be cosmetic, and that can be dealt with. Internal changes to the steel can be fatal. We used to pay a friend who was a radiologist to sneak them into the office and X-ray them when no one was looking.
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I've taken the following from Clatter's "Re-Restoration" thread, as it relates to engines, Type iv in particular:

When I take the US $3,434 per set of Len Hoffman heads, and convert to $CDN shekels, I get $4,700. That is, in my mind, just too much for many folks' budgets (mine included). Seems to me if, in my case with 40,000 easy miles on my squareport '79 heads, the answer is to:
- carefully check for cracks;
- utilize OEM seats;
- build a 6.75:1 CR engine;
- possibly add oil squirters;
- carefully CC the heads/check deck hts to ensure all cyls are equal CR;
- run midgrade fuel;
- easy on the static advance;
- flow-prove- / pattern-prove the injectors;
- be diligent with cooling air leaks;
- go easy on the hill climbing (shallow throttle, mid-range revs on, etc); and
- 60 mph max on windless days / level gradient.

Is that a reasonable approach, for moderate life expectancy?

Is Adrian Audirac (sp?) still out there with Headflow Masters?

Now I realize Rob's engine build is not a budget one, and I also realize that the heads are probably the most fraught part of a type iv... but $4700 Cdn 😐😐😐. This isn't a Porsche!
tricyclerob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

"That's exactly why I've jumped ship to do swaps."

I pondered a swap for quite a while but eventually decided against it. Cost wise, comparing a swap to rebuilding an AC engine and transaxle, there's probably not much difference.

I've pondered if a "stock" bus with a motor such as Steve is building [much better than average] is worth more or less than a bus in the same condition but with a Subi swap.
My gut feeling is the end value is possibly close to the same, it just depends on who you're asking. [although I suspect that in the long, long term the unmodified bus will be worth more]

And that [the current value] depends on the expectations of the owner. A person that wants the ability to drive a 50 year old bus like it's a new car will obviously want the bus with the swap.

To others, that understand they are driving a 50 year old AC vehicle and the nuances of the operation of such, the expectations are much different.

I don't need [or want] to drive 70-75 on a freeway. I can do that with the other cars I own. My desire is to drive 50 [ok,"maybe" 55] on back and side roads. Sort of "taking the time to smell the roses" type driving.

Operation of an AC VW is an "experience" in motoring that is fast becoming a distant memory. Some want to keep that memory alive.

So, to each their own, depending on their expectations...

Just my thoughts, your milage may differ.

robj
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

^^^Well Put^^^

There’s something about the clattery experience of an ACVW.

Part of the whole package.

It fits because it is..

Maybe if i was a real mechanic and just started the hobby,
A Subaru swap might be the path to take.

Er,
Wait,
Regular mechanic..
Maybe if i was a regular mechanic and just started the hobby,
A Subaru swap might be the path to take.
Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I totally agree with you that if you drive a Type2 with a Type IV engine (or perhaps even worse, a Type I engine) in it like it was a regular modern-day vehicle, you're in for a world of hurt when the engine grenades. Like I said, 60 mph max, depending on the headwind, climbing hills in the lower gears (not revving to kingdom come, but with a nice decent rev on); and with moderate and not deep foot into the throttle.

I can't get over just how $$$ the heads are. Surely, AMC heads, a competent machinist replacing the seats with correct ones, correct interference fit, properly cut seats, decent valves... that ought to be the answer... short of the full Len Hoffman treatment??? Labour to replace cpts on the AMC's won't be free, but....???
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

We’ll get into some head details here in a bit.

A balanced/blueprinted type 4 built to rev can run 65-70 all day long.
It can easily go way faster than that.
WAY faster…!

Biggest thing is,
It becomes a handful to drive fast for any length of time.
You have to give a lot to keep it between the lines and all.
You’ll steer yourself to death.

It’s just not relaxing,
Even though the bus will do it no problem.

I’m running wider rims, low profile tires, sway bars, lowered, etc etc.
It still takes a lot of attention to drive over 65-70 or so.

60-65 is the sweet spot.
Relaxing on long trips.

You’re really dependent upon the prevailing speed of traffic to be comfortable on the highway.
Depends upon how torn up the right lane is by semi trucks,
Stuff like that.

Once you build the motor,
It ain’t the motor,
Dig?

What’s That Noise?!?
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I dig. Cross wind stability is a PITA. My Type II Kombi, an empty tin can with windows, happily did 60 mph. I was limiting the top speed to 60 mph in deference to the limited cooling evident in the stock design, and also in deference to the pure trailing arm front suspension that offers no camber thrust to counter crosswinds. Safer, staying to 60 mph. At 60 mph I was doing about 3600 rpm. Not excessive for this less than 3" stroke engine, in my view... but pushing the wind, the faster you go, the deeper your throttle foot, and the hotter the heads get, as folks know. Incidentally, my engine is governed to 5400 rpm... and that ends up being about 84 mph. Sorry, the math doesn't totally work out. My tach, at the time, was not a high quality one. All I know is that at an indicated 135 kmh (84 mph) my governor tripped. I am running 185 reinforced tires... I think that ends up being about "88" profile tires, or maybe 85 series. I think I have a 0.89 fourth gear, and I think I have a 4.86 ring and pinion. I have to count ribs on my 091; it may be a 5- or a 6 rib unit. Perhaps the Vanagons, more so, were 0.82 fourth, and 4.57 R and P. That would make the Type IV REALLY work hard, pushing the Vanagon along. More frontal area, more weigh, taller gears! Ugh!

I am looking forward to discussion on the heads, and the hopefully cheaper alternatives out there... with statements of what doing less than the full meal deal on the heads, results-in... by way of less durability.

Cheers!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Cdn17Sport6MT wrote:

When I take the US $3,434 per set of Len Hoffman heads, and convert to $CDN shekels, I get $4,700. That is, in my mind, just too much for many folks' budgets

yea, I felt the same way with DRD L3 heads. FWIW a brand new short block from subaru is about 2k. have the heads 100% done up 1K and say another 800 or so in timing belt/water pump/etc and you have a (essentially) brand new 170 horse engine with modern FI

I get the appeal of keeping something stock (I still have a stock single cab myself) but the reality is you have to do what is right for you.

I just can't stomach the cost for such mediocre power when rehabbing a stock powerplant.

Sadly, it's just going to continue to get worse.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Nothing like other jockeys telling you whats wrong with your horse…

Thanks for sharing all this, Clatter. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tricyclerob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

"Rob!
Good to have you here my man.
Member since 2006 and nine posts..!"

Ha! I've been lurking. After 47 years as a PI, [15 for someone else and 32 with my own agency] It's something I developed a skill for...

robj
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
One of these days we're gonna need a "Clatter Classics" sticky for all his fantastic build threads. Laughing
Thanks for another detailed build Steve, though seeing the photos of the rockers brought on some flashbacks... As you say, those things are HARD.

That looks like a complete T4 store cam kit? If so, I'm jealous. That is the gold standard for parts.

Glad to see you here my brother.

That is indeed a type 4 store deluxe cam kit.
Crower springs, Johnson lifters, Manton pushrods, real Porsche swivel feet, etc.

Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Cdn17Sport6MT wrote:
I've taken the following from Clatter's "Re-Restoration" thread, as it relates to engines, Type iv in particular:

When I take the US $3,434 per set of Len Hoffman heads, and convert to $CDN shekels, I get $4,700. That is, in my mind, just too much for many folks' budgets (mine included). Seems to me if, in my case with 40,000 easy miles on my squareport '79 heads, the answer is to:
- utilize OEM seats;
- run midgrade fuel;

Now I realize Rob's engine build is not a budget one, and I also realize that the heads are probably the most fraught part of a type iv... but $4700 Cdn 😐😐😐. This isn't a Porsche!

OK,
I'll try to dig into this.. Lots going on here.
Don't take this the wrong way, because I've been right there,
But your scattered thoughts are due to info coming from different directions,
And it literally takes decades of thinking these things through to get to where the ideas settle and sit.
(If that makes any sense..)

First off,
You'd have the first easy 40,000 miles accomplished with an aircooled Vanagon ever on earth.
Vanagons are harder on these motors than anything - more weight most of all.
Len has shared here that 40K is about the limit mileage-wise for AMC heads,
Before bad things start happening.
Seats moving mostly,
But also valve guides and valves and valve jobs going away as well.
Jim has confirmed that he sees similar situations with valve jobs not lasting.
he says AMC seats are soft and wear quickly.

Addressing your list above:

Of course you check for cracks.
While some old type 1 heads can survive short-term with that tiny crack between the two valve seats,
The typical type 4 cracks thru the port floor are terminal. Period.
Same with anything near a seat.
You might see some small around-the-plug cracks on the 914 2.0 heads and they'll live a while but that's another story.

OEM seats? that means OEM heads.
Those aren't available new anymore.
Unless you find an old set of OEM heads that didn't get killed,
Where you're gonna get OEM seats?
The seats that Len uses, whatever they are, are damn fine, Jim says.
My experience proves the same.

6.75 CR?
No thanks, even with a stock cam.
More duration will need higher static CR to maintain dynamic CR.
Type 4s love (need?) duration, especially exhaust side.

Oil squirters can mean lots of things.
Traditional Porsche piston squirters i never felt inclined to be worth it,
or to trust them installed by me or others.
I will do the cheap rod notches like in the "bulletin".
Have tried additional notches, as well as more, or enlarged wrist pin oil holes.
Not really sure they made much difference but haven't hurt anything.

Always do your CR and make things as even as you can.
Standard blueprinting practice.
Why balance weights if your CR isn't even?

I build for low or mid-grade fuel (for buses),
But will treat the thing to 92 on hot day with heavy loaded running.
If things are going to get hot, additional knock protection is cheap insurance.

Static advance? Huh?
You mean initial/idle?
I bump that up to around 12' BTDC.
Helps make a bus easier/more perky to drive down low.
Especially with more cam, carbs, gear, header, etc.
Easier to tune as well.
If you mean full advance/all in, that's limited to 28 on the centrifugal side,
But some added vacuum added at light throttle is welcome.

Always send your injectors in at rebuild time.
Cheap insurance.
Rob here is running carbs.

All cooling tin always.
Of course.. Why fuckup what VW engineered?

Drive it by the gauges.
Oil temp/pressure, CHT.
EGT or AFR as well if you can.
How fast you can go is determined by temp.

Engine life is determined mostly by tune.
A wideband is almost cheating, and the only way to fly.

Exhaust leaks and intake leaks and head leaks kill these motors.
So does the wrong AFR and wrong timing.
IMHO...

Heard a rumor couple of days ago from someone who would know that Adrian jumped the shark.
Sad to hear this if it's true, he was a real asset.

I certainly don't know it all.
Plenty to learn.
Hope this helps.

What’s That Noise?!?

Last edited by Clatter on Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

So what to do about heads?

Len has admitted that you can get away with some new AMC heads for a while if you treat them right.

If they were used, from a motor that died, have they been treated right?
I don't know.

Look closely what Len is willing to tell us about what he builds today.
Generous of him to share.
https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/cylinder-heads.html
I do not regret one tiny bit spending all that money so many years ago.
Buy once, and don't be stuck crying on the side of the road.
Wife pissed, dog panting, kids sniveling, vacation shot to hell, in a slowly-growing pool of oil...

Couple things to notice:
First, he uses AMC bus castings for his $3327 bus heads.
He mentions he used to start with 1.7 castings when he started development.
The pic shows a 2.0 bus chamber.
My old 7424 heads are AMC 2.0 castings.
https://lnengineering.com/camper-special-cs-oval-port-type-4-cylinder-heads.html
The different AMC heads have different valve sizes and chamber shapes for sure,
And may or may not have the different port shapes the factory heads do.
I haven't seen enough AMC heads to know for sure, but I'd bet they are similar, unlike factory ports.
Which heads Len uses for his camper heads I'm sure is based upon a lot of testing.

If I'm buying a set of stock AMC heads for a bus,
I'll go for the 1.8s due to them being the biggest valves available in the non-914 2.0 'standard' plug location casting.
Today on the AA site they're about $1400/pair.
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performanc...inder-head
You can't compare these to what Len sells.
Not only does he throw away all of the valves, guides, seats, springs, etc.
But you also get a valve job done on a Serdi machine! Shocked
Not only are they better seats, but also installed at better tolerances.
He'll upsize the valves as well - and also give the bowls an open-up and some hand-blending as well IIRC.
Plus coatings.. And all that precious careful work..
You really get something different, and it all comes at a cost.
He isn't getting rich doing these.
Got to be a real labor of love.

So, AA sells these AMC heads with bigger valves for about 2 grand.
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performanc...42x36-pair
What quality are these? I don't know.
Anybody want to try them? Anxious

These are interesting, but out of stock.
AA bus (1.8?) castings with 42x36 for $1379.90.
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performanc...eads-42x36
Jim does valve jobs on the AA type 1 heads and says the seats are hard material, which seems good.
People seem to like those.
Len admits to using AA 914 2.0 castings for his RS expensive heads.
Wonder what these AA are like?
Too bad they're out of stock, would be fun to take a look.
I vaguely remember issues with casting flash plugging up flow near the intake ports? Think

If you're totally on the cheap, and want to try to get away with what you can,
914 heads are the only option for used heads.
2.0 bus heads are always fried. 1.8 are usually cracked.
Only 1.7 heads -might- survive in a bus.
There's more on this in my Cheap Junk thread.

Used AMC heads are pretty much always a no-no,
But here's this 1.8 set I'm considering using on Rob's motor here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sometimes, just through dumb luck,
Maybe a bus with newer heads died from other causes?

1.8 heads are known to crack and these ain't cracked (yet).

Guide wear seems minimal,
stems aren't galled.
Jim's going to measure the stem OD to check for valve stretch.
We'll see if they clean up nicely with a fly-cut.
Hopefully we'll save the step.
Obviously, the valve job sucks. Rolling Eyes
That's either factory or some shop's work.
If, and only if, Jim feels the cutter work smoothly on the cylinder register and valve seats, and gives his blessing,
Will those go into Rob's motor.
But that's no guarantee..

Sometimes you get lucky,
And I'll try my luck,
But only with doing everything possible to verify what i can.

Buy some new heads and reduce your need for luck.
Or,
Better yet,
Go for a set of Len's heads and eliminate the need for luck entirely.

What’s That Noise?!?
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Cdn17Sport6MT wrote:

- utilize OEM seats;
- run midgrade fuel;

OK,
I'll try to dig into this.. Lots going on here.
Don't take this the wrong way, because I've been right there,
But your scattered thoughts are due to info coming from different directions,
And it literally takes decades of thinking these things through to get to where the ideas settle and sit.
(If that makes any sense..)

First off,
You'd have the first easy 40,000 miles accomplished with an aircooled Vanagon ever on earth.
Vanagons are harder on these motors than anything - more weight most of all.
Len has shared here that 40K is about the limit mileage-wise for AMC heads,
Before bad things start happening.
Seats moving mostly,
But also valve guides and valves and valve jobs going away as well.
Jim has confirmed that he sees similar situations with valve jobs not lasting.
he says AMC seats are soft and wear quickly.

Addressing your list above:

Of course you check for cracks.
While some old type 1 heads can survive short-term with that tiny crack between the two valve seats,
The typical type 4 cracks thru the port floor are terminal. Period.
Same with anything near a seat.
You might see some small around-the-plug cracks on the 914 2.0 heads and they'll live a while but that's another story.

OEM seats? that means OEM heads.
Those aren't available new anymore.
Unless you find an old set of OEM heads that didn't get killed,
Where you're gonna get OEM seats?
The seats that Len uses, whatever they are, are damn fine, Jim says.
My experience proves the same.

6.75 CR?
No thanks, even with a stock cam.
More duration will need higher static CR to maintain dynamic CR.
Type 4s love (need?) duration, especially exhaust side.

Oil squirters can mean lots of things.
Traditional Porsche piston squirters i never felt inclined to be worth it,
or to trust them installed by me or others.
I will do the cheap rod notches like in the "bulletin".
Have tried additional notches, as well as more, or enlarged wrist pin oil holes.
Not really sure they made much difference but haven't hurt anything.

Always do your CR and make things as even as you can.
Standard blueprinting practice.
Why balance weights if your CR isn't even?

I build for low or mid-grade fuel (for buses),
But will treat the thing to 92 on hot day with heavy loaded running.
If things are going to get hot, additional knock protection is cheap insurance.

Static advance? Huh?
You mean initial/idle?
I bump that up to around 12' BTDC.
Helps make a bus easier/more perky to drive down low.
Especially with more cam, carbs, gear, header, etc.
Easier to tune as well.
If you mean full advance/all in, that's limited to 28 on the centrifugal side,
But some added vacuum added at light throttle is welcome.

Always send your injectors in at rebuild time.
Cheap insurance.
Rob here is running carbs.

All cooling tin always.
Of course.. Why fuckup what VW engineered?

Drive it by the gauges.
Oil temp/pressure, CHT.
EGT or AFR as well if you can.
How fast you can go is determined by temp.

Engine life is determined mostly by tune.
A wideband is almost cheating, and the only way to fly.

Exhaust leaks and intake leaks and head leaks kill these motors.
So does the wrong AFR and wrong timing.
IMHO...

Heard a rumor couple of days ago from someone who would know that Adrian jumped the shark.
Sad to hear this if it's true, he was a real asset.

I certainly don't know it all.
Plenty to learn.
Hope this helps.

It sure does help... Thx!

When I said use OEM seats... I meant that with my OEM squareport heads, I would have the heads checked for cracks. I am not sure if you can fully check for cracks with the valve seats left in place... That's a question I have... In any case I assume that the only way to get the seats out, is to cut them out, meaning that they are weakened to the point that they almost fall out.

I assume, though, that if you have a set of OEM heads, with no cracks visible, or by dye penetrant method - you do not find any cracks... that you would consider, then, keeping the OEM valve seats, too? Do OEM valve seats have any particular flaws (if the engine is kept from getting to high temps)... meaning, is the interference fit of the OEM seats adequate? Do OEM seats have the right "feel" at the tool's cutting edge, to hold a nice edge?

Does your friend Jim supply seats, by the way? I guess, probably NOT, based on your mentioning that apparently no one but Len Hoffman appears to know where to source good seats.

BTW, I have a '79 Kombi... bare window van. Not a Vanagon. And I truly do believe I have given my heads an easy life, at least from 11,000 miles on to the present 40,000 miles. I have never climbed sustained hills, heavily loaded and with my foot in the throttle.

Incidentally, it appears that Camper Special heads are not available, on their own. You must purchase other engine parts from the Type IV Store, too...?

Oh, last thing: per the pix I attach, which is a close-up of your possible candidate 1.8 AMC heads... what peening do I see of the seats? Is that done by others, like Len Hoffman, too? I though it was just by way of the interference fit, that the seats are retained....?

It seems to me that the interference fit, and the metallurgy of the seat versus the aluminum casting are critical when it comes to whether the head will drop a seat or not. With your possible plan to maybe re-use those 1.8 AMC heads (if you find no cracks) - just how can you know or find out what the interference fit of the seats are? Yeah, they're peened too... but what if the interference fit is inadequate? Are you not, then, taking a big risk on Rob's motor?

Thx again for all of the great info!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Cdn17Sport6MT wrote:

- utilize OEM seats;
- run midgrade fuel;

I try to balance the time, money, assache equation when doing anything on my bus.

Removing, rebuilding and reinstalling an engine takes me forever, so I only want to do it once, so new heads were a no brainer for me. If I was young and single and had time to tinker, I would take a chance. Sometimes, spending money is worth saving time and assache. Sometimes things are so stoopit expensive that time and assache are the only way to balance the equation.

It also depends what you want to do with your bus. I got 46,000 miles out of a crap GEX engine without any problems. It lasted me 10+ years driving around New England for camping trips. I ended up rebuilding because it wasn’t an engine I would trust for longer trips.
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: