Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rob's Motor and Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

What I want to acknowledge here is Clatter's comment that the Len Hoffman heads are as expensive as they are, because his work with the AMC cores (which have to have the cpts removed and thrown-out) is, indeed, labour intensive. Clatter's comment is that Hoffman is NOT gouging buyers with his pricing scheme. Fair enough. This Type IV engine, simply put, is far from a cheap engine to build. Others have said that it represents a relatively poor value quotient when it comes to power- or torque per $ spent. Now I have no desire to convert to Subaru power, but obviously these considerations do provoke thought about going down that route.

Me, my question(s) really surround whether, if in the perhaps unlikely circumstance that my OEM 40,000 mile 2.0 litre heads are found to be uncracked (at least by inspection including dye penetrant inspection, albeit with OEM seats left intact) - whether they're viable to carefully run, maximizing all of the care steps outlined above.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Cdn17Sport6MT wrote:
if in the perhaps unlikely circumstance that my OEM 40,000 mile 2.0 litre heads are found to be uncracked (at least by inspection including dye penetrant inspection, albeit with OEM seats left intact) - whether they're viable to carefully run, maximizing all of the care steps outlined above.

given stock heads less than stellar reputation for liberating a seat for no 'real' reason you have to ask yourself if you're ok every time you hit the key the thought goes thru your mind 'is this my last ride'

stock or otherwise, no way would I personally go thru the trouble of building something to treat it like porcelain

it takes big bux and time to 'bulletproof' anything, be it T1 or T4.

you could get lucky, or not. the only way to find out is do it. But let's be real... it won't be cheaper or easier to do it again in the future

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I didn't realize the stock heads would drop a seat without being overheated... That would change the equation... When you come to think of it, indeed if that's the case, well though VW's offering of the Type II for sale is many years in the past, it could be said that it was a flawed product, if it's that fragile.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Type 1 heads were not prone to seat drop, or even dropped valves once the oil cooler was moved behind #3 and the heat shed elsewhere. Type IV engines started as a 1.7L used in light cars. It was adapted to buses after Porsche modified it for the 914-4 and 912e. The VW bus is nothing more than a utility truck. The kind that is used around town. The 2L engines generate way too much heat for the cooling on the open highway, but we do our best to mitigate it. It was never meant to be a 250,000 - 300,000 mile car like those built today. The whole basis of a water cooled conversion is that the engine never has an opportunity to get as hot as our engines do, even what we consider cool for an air cooled engine. If that risk and cost seems too high, get another vehicle for your daily driving.
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I've owned my '79 Kombi for 41 years; I'm not about to sell it, LOL. I've never used it as a daily driver...

So in summary, the single and dual port 1600 in the T2A (and first year of T2B) was, in fact, more robust (though slower); well, I say that for 1600cc's of displacement, the doghouse cooling fan was up to the task; the crankshaft was weaker and more prone to pounding out the case, and the magnesium alloy case was inferior... The carbureted 1.7 of '72 and '73 was best for durability (of the type iv engines) due to i) moderate displacement for the pancake engine cooling system; and ii) carburetion which generally was richer (cooler running) than FI buses.

Seems to me that more displacement (than 2 litres) is not very advisable with the type iv, unless other improvements are undertaken.

That Down-the-Middle axial fan system; that may have merit in keeping the heads cool, and properly jetted carburetion versus FI may make things run cooler.

Still sounds to me like VW, when ultimately offering the 2 litre in '76, dropped the ball on cooling system adequacy and cyl head durability. You know, my Kombi is rated for about 2200# payload (more than the typical 1/2 ton p/u of the day), it's governed to 84 mph, it happily drives at 60 mph. If there are no owners manual warnings, well then it reasonably ought not to drop valve seats!

This is all moot; the answer is to just deal with it...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Awesome build thread.

I’m still left out wondering what an FGI is other than a really good sport.

Orwell, I’ll be at Hunts in Schenectady and will ask about type IV case work. He’s done nice work for me on quirky Volvos and will tell me go/no upfront.

He is a bit seasonal as he does big money Daytona work that you have to work around so he can make money.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Awesome build thread.

I’m still left out wondering what an FGI is other than a really good sport.

Orwell, I’ll be at Hunts in Schenectady and will ask about type IV case work. He’s done nice work for me on quirky Volvos and will tell me go/no upfront.

He is a bit seasonal as he does big money Daytona work that you have to work around so he can make money.

Do you understand what RIF is? Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:

Jim's an FGI.
He fucking gets it.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I’ve only had valve and seat problems when I really pushed my bus on long hot highway runs. They put out a lot more power than you can reasonably use for sustained highway speeds. They just can’t be driven or maintained like modern cars, but they are not delicate flowers either.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I'm of a different opinion than some here.

I've seen OEM motors new from VW go 130K in a '79 bus.

If you indeed have only 40K on the vehicle from new,
Not some rebuild with 40K on AMC heads,
That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

All you gotta do is run that.

And make sure it's not leaking at the intake or exhaust,
And tuned right,
Of course..

Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

+1000 Clatter

Who are you saving it for, anyway?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

I have heard from some with experience building heads that the AMC castings are generally better than the OG ones. The reason being is that they are not as rigid. While it shows up in more initial valve adjustments as the heads settle in, they are less prone to cracking - which is one of the problems with the OG heads. One thing constantly forgotten is that when these buses were originally being used, the national speed limit was 55 mph and enforced. States that failed to do that lost lots of federal highway funding. Driving 55 - 60 mph down the highway as a top speed was a given most of the time in these buses. Some areas it wasn't obeyed but many areas it was. We see more overheating issues now than then, excepting 1970 and earlier single port engines with the oil cooler that sat over #3, causing a significant number of dropped #3 valve in a desert climate back in those days. Many of those buses that still exist have been converted to dog house coolers for that reason. My engine efficiency went way up with Len's heads compared to the OG heads. Recent smog test shows the engine now is equal to a new early 2000's car as to efficiency. I am getting 15% CO2 and no waste with these new heads. Amazingly clean burn. Head temps are normal for the bus.
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I'm of a different opinion than some here.

I've seen OEM motors new from VW go 130K in a '79 bus.

If you indeed have only 40K on the vehicle from new,
Not some rebuild with 40K on AMC heads,
That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

All you gotta do is run that.

And make sure it's not leaking at the intake or exhaust,
And tuned right,
Of course..

Wink

Bought in Feb. '82, from SouthCentre VW in Calgary AB, for $6,500 Cdn dollars, with 17,000 km/11,000 miles on it. Other than the previously mentioned fiasco with bad fuel/varnish it's OEM orig. The valve guide that was replaced, I don't know if it's orig or jobber. Patrick J., my neighbour and former aircooled VW dealership mechanic said, prior to rebuilding it, that there was a chance that setting a new guide in there - the valve would not be concentric with the (OEM) seat... but that prb did not present itself after the guide was replaced. Patrick changed all of the main bearings and conn rod bearings and resealed, as part of the light rebuild... and new rings, too. Bearings, if recall serves me, were Kolbenschmidt.

So the engine is not in a "never opened up" state, but the heads (well, particularly the seats) should be in a good state. Under my hand at least, she's never laboured on a hill with a big load, or on a level straight at more than 60mph.

Incidentally, here are several shots of the 37mm dia. valves that came out of the engine, incl the one that had stem seize in the guide 🙁. There are some burrs on the OD surface of the guide, at the top, possibly from use of pliers, channel-lok or vise- Sad Sad Sad ... Well, we know which direction the guide was tapped-out in... and that would have broached the valve guide bore in the head. Not sure if oversized guide, along with guide bore machining, was done.

Can anyone tell me, are these exh valves, and does the "S" stand for sodium-filled? (Edit: no, they're intakes, as '79 squareport heads are 37 x 33?) Also, can someone infer, based on the valve colour, that the engine was run moderately (by way of heat)? No blue is evident. I'm not sure why, exactly, I have one valve in hand which has been machined, but has not been used in the engine. Possibly stem dia/wear?

Last thing is that it appears some debris made its way to the face of the valves, worse for the valve which is glued to the guide...😐😐😐???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any and all comments welcome!

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
+1000 Clatter

Who are you saving it for, anyway?

'Ida know... Hard to part with it. I have a two-abreast airline seat and a three-abreast airline seat that I want to add, with a simplistic finishing-off of the tin-can interior. I have jalousie windows (that I'm not sure I'll use), the parts to add air channels on the door cards, eyeball vents for the behind cab partition walls, powered fresh air fans... all these parts from 30 or so years ago, to go into the van. Also, wood paneling for the ceiling, and galvanized rail for clipping-in the wood paneling; also a shelf for the ceiling, by the hatchback door. I've got a BA6 gasoline heater already in place (was std in Cdn vans).

It's been a project I've not been able to get to (obviously for a while).

I really liked the way the van drove (by way of memory)... and I'd like to complete the project in the next few years.

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT on Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I have heard from some with experience building heads that the AMC castings are generally better than the OG ones. The reason being is that they are not as rigid. While it shows up in more initial valve adjustments as the heads settle in, they are less prone to cracking - which is one of the problems with the OG heads. One thing constantly forgotten is that when these buses were originally being used, the national speed limit was 55 mph and enforced. States that failed to do that lost lots of federal highway funding. Driving 55 - 60 mph down the highway as a top speed was a given most of the time in these buses. Some areas it wasn't obeyed but many areas it was. We see more overheating issues now than then, excepting 1970 and earlier single port engines with the oil cooler that sat over #3, causing a significant number of dropped #3 valve in a desert climate back in those days. Many of those buses that still exist have been converted to dog house coolers for that reason. My engine efficiency went way up with Len's heads compared to the OG heads. Recent smog test shows the engine now is equal to a new early 2000's car as to efficiency. I am getting 15% CO2 and no waste with these new heads. Amazingly clean burn. Head temps are normal for the bus.

Thumbs Up
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Last few days a couple things happened.

Jim finished up flycutting heads and valve job.
Guides on these heads were good enough to leave alone.

These AMC heads are interesting to both of us.
They have '1.8' cast into the bottom, which neither Jim or myself have ever seen.
As well as the peening around the seats.
Jim was guessing that they had been rebuilt.
I'm not so sure.
Peening looks very uniform and exact compared to any I seen before done by some shop.
Mark Stephens used to do similar, for example, didn't look anything like this.

Jim said seats felt soft under the cutter, typical of AMC seats.
The angles don't come out as crisp on the corners as a result.

Flycut was minimal, preserving the step.
I'm guessing, just by cosmic inference perhaps, that these are some newer AMC heads,
And that's all stuff from the factory how they come now.
Anybody know?
We got ourselves a mystery here!

Here's the second set of rods Jim rejected.
These heavy pits didn't show up until they were cleaned.
Should toss these,
But can't for some reason... Anxious
They have a 12-step program for this.
I just haven't hit bottom yet.

Here's the rods he rescued from a 2.0 914.
They are beautiful and perfect. Cool
And i love them very much.

Spent some time test-fitting wrist pins over and over just to feel the bliss.
Jim asked me if i noticed how the wrist-pin was fatter in the middle.
Chine pin is slightly barrel-shaped.
Didn't notice that.
Even now that i know it's there..!
Crazy the feel that guy developed after so many years.
Shocked

Fan got shot-blasted.
Peened surface stays cleaner longer.
Clean fans move more air.

Polished machining marks from thrust-faces of cam.
These are done at Web.
Faces look better than before.
Still something to check.

Stabbed gear and cleaned it up and cam is ready.

Pulled Sparxwerks (very beautiful) SVDA open to bend advance tabs inward a bit.
Did Jeff's a couple days ago and got it perfect first try.
Doing it now while the memory is still fresh.

Installed module.
Factory rev limiter is set to 5500. Perfect.

Finally,
Trying to find a place to vapor-blast a case.
FOUR of these places now gone tits-up on me.
Not an easy buck to make methinks.

Found a couple places over the hill that say they'll do it.
Need to come up with two excuses to drive the hill.. Think
We'll see.
Usually three or four hunnert bux.
"Beauty knows no pain" right?
Think

What’s That Noise?!?
tricyclerob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Certainly the peening is far too uniform to be done by anything other than a dedicated press.

Definitely not some guy with a punch. Mechanically a good idea as long as;

!. doesn't generate "hot spots". [doesn't look like it should]

2. doesn't [didn't] disturb the initial fit of the seat.

3. isn't to compensate for questionable seat fit.

Looks pretty "official" anyway. Maybe someone else has seen this exact peening and can comment.

Rods look great!

Last edited by tricyclerob on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cdn17Sport6MT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

the peens were done in the factory with a very large press and tool.
tricyclerob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Sounds good. Thanks!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Type 4 in 2023 - Rob's Motor Build Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Steve, you have seen other new AMC heads like this?

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: