Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

It feels good to solve problems and have a well running car. Congrats on your progress.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
SirDorfsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
It feels good to solve problems and have a well running car. Congrats on your progress.

Thanks! Its been a big project. I've had the car for about 4 years but I've been working on it in phases and I've just now gotten to the engine aside from bare minimum keep-it-moving repairs. I've been trying to return it to mostly stock just to keep it easy to troubleshoot and repair.

Eventually I need to repair the death foam rot areas and I'll have to pull the three rear glass to do that so I'll probably pull the engine at the same time to finish going through it. I know it will need pushrod tubes/seals, oil cooler seals, a good cleaning, and whatever else I find.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

Take apart your original ignition switch and clean all the contact points. In my limited experience the aftermarket switches are not a good replacement. And you do not want this switch mesing up while out on the road.
SirDorfsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Take apart your original ignition switch and clean all the contact points. In my limited experience the aftermarket switches are not a good replacement. And you do not want this switch messing up while out on the road.

I found a thread on how it comes apart as I also read that the aftermarket switches suck. I was planning on taking apart the one that's coming with the new-to-me M code ignition switch and swapping both at the same time and then cleaning my old one and keeping it as a spare since its magically working again.

I did figure out how to bypass the switch to get the car to start a week or two ago as well so if it dies on me on the road I'm good either way. All I had to do was buy some $3 test leads from Harbor Freight (36" cables with alligator clips on each end) and I just jump the positive terminal on the alternator to the positive terminal on the coil.
SirDorfsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

So I made a little progress. I got in touch with a seller on the Classified and bought a new ignition housing with M code ignition cylinder and OG ignition switch.

It took some searching to figure out how to pull it apart but once I got into it it was pretty straightforward. When I pulled the old housing out I found that the ignition switch was aftermarket and had been glued into place. I guess the tab that gets screwed to the housing broke? That could explain why the switch was a little flakey.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The "new" housing and switch were all original factory parts and work just fine to start the car. The ignition tumbler had been replaced on my car at some point with a later version key that didn't fit my door locks so its nice having the correct M key profile that I can now re-key my doors to.

Next on the docket is to rekey my door locks and then head back to working on the engine. Ever since I replaced the oil pump I've got quite a bit more oil leaking. I used to just be a drop or two per trip but now its a small puddle. I think I just need to find the proper torque specs for the oil pump bolts and retighten them and/or I need to replace my cork valve cover gaskets as I just stuck the covers back on after I adjusted the valves.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity Check: Time for new muffler and intake boots? Reply with quote

Just discovered this thread as I'm about to replace an old worn out muffler. Nice work on everything!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: