Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? [Resolved]
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? [Resolved] Reply with quote

This forum has been amazingly helpful to me over the last 7 years,- from helping me decide to make the purchase, to making repairs and upgrades, and even deciding where to go.

I'm now at a point where I need to decide what happens next. With my daughter 15 now, I do less family camping but still love taking it to destinations in the Catskills, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut shorelines, etc. I enjoyed Vanagons in the Valley in PA and planned on going back this year.

On the way back from a 3-day trip to Connecticut, I sprung a coolant leak and had it towed. From what I can gather, the head gasket/water gasket, passenger side has failed. I was able to confirm that the heads were resealed by the prior owner at around 100,000 miles. I'm at 169,000 miles now. Last week, I ordered a oil pressure gauge kit from Van-Again in the hopes that I could monitor and run this engine for at least another 30,000 miles.

As somebody with limited mechanical skills and tools, I am not inclined to try to replace the seals myself. I'm told having somebody do that would run about $3,000. I don't think it makes much sense to make that kind of investment in an engine this old. I could do that only to have a rod failure in 5,000 miles. But that said, the engine still runs very strong, cruising no problem at 70 mph. While I could be convinced that this engine is worth the investment, at this point I'm leaning towards replacement options. I would prefer VW but might consider Subaru.

I'm hearing mixed reviews about GW rebuilt motors, but I think they're just cost prohibitive, especially with shipping for me in New Jersey. And then who could I trust to install it? MansiSpeed makes a phenomenal product, but I'm not sure I could touch it. I'm looking at Valley Westy in Virginia but even that is a bit of a stretch, both in terms of finance and distance, but maybe.

Ideally, I would love to find somebody within 50 or 100 miles who has a solid rebuilt motor ready to swap in who could also tackle my gas tank replacement and coolant pipe replacement. I do not think that's likely.

Thanks for any suggestions, especially those that take into account the geographic limitations and sparsity of talent in this area. I love this rig and although my teenager has little interest in camping these days, maybe her kids will at some point so I want to keep it around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Hi

Cool project!

There's Foreign Auto Supply (FAS) in Southern Maine.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Andrew Flint (Flint European Automotive) looks to be about 140 miles from you- that’s not too far outside of your preferred search area.
Some people call him Maurice...
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

think this is worth a try to see if it gets the leak to stop so you can get an idea of the oil pressure?

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-OEM-Coolant-System-Conditioner/dp/B00WFI0W2Q

doing the seals is not terrible, but... if the oil pressure looks questionable, the work would have to be done again...

BiWerks Design, LLC
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Thanks. I ordered the conditioner. Worth a try.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

you have to ask yourself what are your long term goals. Is this your "forever" van?

Personally I hate the waterboxer. Its a Rube Goldberg design at best. When I got my van I did get the 1.9 running just to prove it ran, but in went a 2.5 subaru.

Yea, not everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to argue that you can still get a brand new short block from Subaru for under 2K and the end result is about 170 reliable horsepower that easily fits under the deck

I wouldn't pay money for another waterboxer if I were in your shoes. You'd be better off doing a swap (in my opinion) IF and only if you were to keep the van for a long time.

Just took our westy out for a short trip. 75+ on the highway with no issues

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

I looked at GoWesty's site and see that the 2.2 is now $5,300.

Zounds! That's quite a bit more than I paid 17 years ago but such is the nature of prices over time. It is an engine that has served me well both for camping and now also as my daily driver.

I certainly can't get an engine rebuild that cheap on any of my other cars.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Andrew Flint.
Even just to give him a call and see his options for you.
He is very familiar with WBX, in-line conversions, and Subaru conversions.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Pull the engine in Jersey and deliver to Andrew upstate. 2 hour drive.

You could also rent a Uhaul and trailer and deliver for about $300 all in.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

X4 for talking to Andrew about what options you have that make sense.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Another high recommendation for Andrew Flint!

You can also investigate Bostig. DIY and a forget-it’s-there installation.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I reached out to Andrew. (They're closed Mondays).

Question: is it common to do head replacements two or three times on a 2.1L?

Who has done that more than once? I will look for a poll on this. If there isn't one, maybe I will start it.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Thanks everybody. I reached out to Andrew. (They're closed Mondays).

Question: is it common to do head replacements two or three times on a 2.1L?

Who has done that more than once? I will look for a poll on this. If there isn't one, maybe I will start it.

there was a thread recently about failing water jacket seals. you got nearly 70K out of yours so i think that's a good amount.

you are at the magic numbers now which are forcing you to make a decision. if i had deep pockets i would put a Subie 2.5 in my Westy. more power, same gas mileage.

BiWerks Design, LLC
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Quote:
Question: is it common to do head replacements two or three times on a 2.1

There was a recent thread where an owner had new old stock head seals crack and fail in very short time. Seemed others ran into that as well.

Other conditions might be mismachined heads causing the seal to over compress or maybe while not indicated, the cooling system is not up to par.

I don't see a downside to keeping it original. We have installed a few GW engines for owners and its a pretty good exchange program.

Often I see owners coming for advice and they explain up front, they are not seasoned technicians. Invariably, the advice is "its not a big deal" anyone with simple hand tools can do major repairs. Working on a 40 year old vehicle has challenges of it's own. Challenges, that experience might keep you from going down the rabbit hole.

Find a shop you can work with and let them do the job. I'm not against conversions, but again, if you are not familiar with engine electronics and a basic understanding of automotive ECU systems and electrics, it would be a steep learning curve. Sounds like you just want the van fixed so you can use it.

I have an engine conversion in our van and I don't know anyone that would even touch it other than me. Good luck getting it sorted.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

the cheaper you go the more $$$ it will cost in the long run
maybe ok if you aren't planning for that long a run

I'd toss the FAS swap idea out there as well. nice brandy new engine and parts.

if you want economy and not DIY time/labor/parts/expertise all come at $$..
parts are that it takes a few sets of parts to get a lasting item..

these are a limited niche market hobby vehicle that is 30-40yrs old.. we're actually happy anyone is out there willing to assist.

also to toss Ken Wilfy's at Vanagain in the considering ring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
...Often I see owners coming for advice and they explain up front, they are not seasoned technicians. Invariably, the advice is "its not a big deal" anyone with simple hand tools can do major repairs. Working on a 40 year old vehicle has challenges of it's own. Challenges, that experience might keep you from going down the rabbit hole.

Find a shop you can work with and let them do the job. I'm not against conversions, but again, if you are not familiar with engine electronics and a basic understanding of automotive ECU systems and electrics, it would be a steep learning curve. Sounds like you just want the van fixed so you can use it...

That right there is why I wish the Samba had a 'like' button.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Find a shop you can work with and let them do the job....Sounds like you just want the van fixed so you can use it.

That's the plan. Easier said than done. Been making calls all day. In all fairness, I have had one solid offer of help but there's a wait list and it's far.

I know my limitations. I do my own tune-ups, oil chango replace easy parts (like the breather tower), install accessory battery, stereo, three window tent. I would have very little confidence dropping this motor.

jacksonpm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

I was in almost the same situation a couple years ago. Living in Northern NJ limits the options we have because there doesn't seem to be any shops that know or care to work on Vanagons.
I bought a GW 2.3 and put it in myself. The shipping was steep but....oh well.
A straight replacement is the simplest way to get a "new" engine for your van.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

Thanks Jackson. I messaged you.

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Westy Camper: Time for rebuild? Swap? Reply with quote

I have a rebuilt WBX that is a 2.3L. While I sometimes covet the Subie 2.5L, I've also read many a post of folks having to upgrade the trans down the road. I like the idea of staying with the VW platform - but who knows where I'll be in 5 years.

Sell the synco for $80k? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: