Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Protective coating over bondo?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

I have been removing a crappy overspray from OG paint; naturally, some areas have filler on them. The bondo is firmly attached and sound. What should I put on these area to stop absorption of water or other damage? I assume primer is just as water permeable as bondo. Actual grey spray paint is fine as an option, as this bus will wear its scars - I just don’t want things to get worse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

Epoxy primer
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

Thanks! Any epoxy primer (Rustoleum et al), or a 2-part? I'm fine with either, but box-store paint is easier to get/deal with. Obviously better quality...
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

Epoxy may not be UV stabilized like other paints (it is intended to be painted over anyway).

If you are wearing the scars, just primer and paint those areas, even if it's with RustOleum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

Thanks. I may wait for warmer weather and hit it with rattle cans of 2-stage primer and paint. The truck is garaged and the doors are in the house, so the bondo should stay dry before it gets painted. I can't do the 2-stage in the house or in a garage w/ closed door; might see if the final 2-stage coat is compatibile w/ a can of Rustoleum Hi-build epoxy primer I have and start with that.
-Robert Williams
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WQ19YGT/ref=twister_B08WR8TF52?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-Epoxy-Primer-Paint-Ae...mp;sr=8-25

Wear a mask!
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Protective coating over bondo? Reply with quote

wolfsburg west split bus spray can, primer dark gray is a quick and easy way to go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: