Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

I've had a 1991 Westy for 10 years, but I haven't used to camp much since pandemic (or before, really).
In the first couple of years I got it I was single, so I took it on 2 two-month-long trips and worked remotely. Super fond memories of those trips.

Since then, I moved to LA, got married, started a company, pandemic, and had a kid, which means long aimless camping roadtrips became impossible, and short trips involved more planning, so I stopped doing that.

My kid is 2.5 years old now, and I'd like to build more camping/vanagon memories with him, but I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me answer and build my confidence/knowledge for going camping with a family in California.
1. California campgrounds seem to consistently be full. How do you find spaces for a weekend (fri-sun) to reserve? Is there a system/trick I don't know about?
2. How far ahead do you plan?
3. Is it reasonably safe to just use the wait-belt to strap down a car seat for the toddler?
4. My wife would like to have a campground with more facilities than BLM/undeveloped camping (toilets, ideally a shower), which adds more constraints on finding a good campsite. Any suggestions of where we can go?
5. Any other tips on camping with a young kid?
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

I've had better luck booking sites during the week, weekdays and not on the weekend. Campgrounds with a shower??? That's tough. Maybe she could compromise with a shower tent?

looks like the sacrifice and effort will be well worth it

=== I don't know if this will work, it's a post from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=100

Homey '71 wrote:
71 Westy, 2ish L engine w dual carbs. Bought for $600 20 years ago. Current daily driver and my favorite road trip machine. Kids are hooked Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Waist belt is fine for a car seat. Adjust it nice and tight
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Popular national parks and campgrounds are usually gone shortly after opened in the reservation system.
Rv sales went crazy during the pandemic. Way more rv's than camping sites. People literally start making reservations early on January 1st for national parks for the year. Our state parks reserve up to one year in advance. Boondocking is growing in popularity. If your woman will squat in the woods, she's a keeper.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Waist belt is fine for a car seat. Adjust it nice and tight

Agreed.

Both my kids did the toddler seat with the lap belts just fine (rear facing when they were tiny). Once they were older and still using a booster seat, they moved up front to the passenger seat (my husband really doesn't like to camp, so that solved the "where to put the other adult" question) to utilize the shoulder belt as well.

They are now 24 and 26, and still like to camp in the bus - we just need more sleeping options.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

From sailing with 7 girls from 6-16 on the Cape…the Lady J is a great accessory for remote level 0 plumbed encounters.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

jtaby wrote:
5. Any other tips on camping with a young kid?

Don't hire Lori Vallow Daybell to babysit !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Motel 6...that's camping,right?
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Motel 6...that's camping,right?
According to my husband, yes.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

Ventura Ranch Koa is Great for kids!

Book in advance you want ALDER Site 24

The best spot in the whole park We go twice a year Love it!
Hit up the Vons supermarket in town before, Stock up on food.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/ventura-ranch/map/

I have Made a Youtube video Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEoWW38aC8U

They sell Ice in the main store have great showers and bathrooms
We bring our little 13ft scamp fits great a Westy would be perfect the site has water and electric and is close to a bathroom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on camping with a toddler in southern california in a westy Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: