Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bird crap
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blgrassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: bird crap Reply with quote

I was in Alaska for 2 weeks, came back to CA. and found a good sized bird crap on the roof of my car. Washed it off but it left a slight discolored area. It has since started flaking/rusting. Can this be repaired without a complete paint job? The car was repainted by the previous owner and is still in good condition. Appreciate any and all advice.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: bird crap Reply with quote

If the area is not too large, you could try to clean the area up and use a bit of rust converter to kill the rust. Then apply a touch up paint to the area. I have had good luck with products from Automotivetouchup:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/?gad=1&gclid...gKlqPD_BwE
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: bird crap Reply with quote

Bird poop is acidic and if left on the paint it will eat through any protection (coatings, waxes or sealants) and etch the paint and in your case even worse.

For slight etching sometimes you can use a compound and get rid of it but a lot of times wet sanding is needed.

If your paint is lifting then it ate through the top coat and now is into the primers.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: bird crap Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
Went to a car show and somewhere along the way I got dive bombed.
Hit the nose and the roof.
Couldn’t have been more than an an hour but it was full sun.
When I cleaned it off it had etched into the clear on the roof. The nose cleaned up fine.
Tried compounding the roof but still have a rough depression. Doesn’t seem to be through the base but it does look deep.
I’ve heard that clear can’t be blended but thought I’d ask here anyway.
It’s a Ghia roof so there are no panel seams to break a respray.
Do I have any real options?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: bird crap Reply with quote

Well, YouTube to the rescue.
Apparently, one can level out clear coat with carefully applied heat.
It worked great!
Who knew?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: