Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical on a Manx clone
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Hi there!
I have a 67 Manx clone.
It’s a killer car but it seems to have some electrical gremlins. I got a buddy who’s an electrical engineer to agree to install a new harness just to do it all at once. I ordered a Universal harness on Amazon (first mistake) and it was a mistake. Stuff was way skewy. Nothing was going to work, this leaves me without a harness. Any ideas on a decent modern fuse box wiring harness for my buggy?
Thanks!
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

I would recommend the Rebel Wire Beetle harness. The wires are marked making it a very easy installation. I believe you will need ground wires that are not included in the harness but available from Rebel Wire. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Glassy Guy on Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

ya second the rebel never used but Have read they are really nice. Secondly loose the engineer they just complicate stuff lol
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Any harness that has labeling on wires is best.... And they also usually come with some sort of instructions.... A Bag-0-Wires is just another nightmare..... And anything mounted on fiberglass body will usually require a ground wire to complete circuit as most wiring diagrams and wire kits think the electrical item is grounded through a metal body....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

I used the one from Speedway. I am very happy with it.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/12-Circuit-Mini-Fuse-Universal-Hot-Rod-Wiring-Harness-Kit,2352.html

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

I've used Rebel harnesses in a couple of non VW cars and they are probably the best out there. They use quality wire of appropriate gauge, not just all 16ga like the shitty empi and amazon harnesses. The fuse boxes are very high quality and the labelled wires make it pretty much fool proof.

And as Dale noted DO NOT FORGET GROUNDS on anything on the fiberglass body

brad
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

just say no to scotch locks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:

And really cheap crimping tool... Spend a few bucks and get a quality ratchet type crimping tool with interchangeable jaws for different type of terminals...

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

You don't need a ratcheting crimping tool to make good crimps. In fact its easier to make a shitty crimp that will fail with them.

A good pair of Kliens or Thomas & Betts will give you the stronest crimps. It's all we use in the field on spade and ring terminals. Just make sure you put the connector in the pliers correctly to get the best crimp. The split in the metal barrel goes into the rounded side of the tool so that the dimple deform the solid side of the barrel on the connector.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:

The first time I read that I thought you typed "scorch locks" and knew exactly what you were talking about. Laughing

For me it is non-insulated terminals crimped with the long available Klein Tools 1005 crimper and then finished with heat shrink tubing. Be sure to slip the heat shrink over the wire before crimping the terminal!

I roll my own wiring harness but you seem to be getting some good suggestions on ready built harnesses that will work on a VW based car. They can make things a lot easier for those less comfortable with wiring.
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
I used the one from Speedway. I am very happy with it.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/12-Circuit-Mini-Fuse-Universal-Hot-Rod-Wiring-Harness-Kit,2352.html

I ordered an Amazon kit that seemed to be very similar initially, however upon receiving it I noticed that the wires weren’t labeled (it was advertised as such) and it had pins installed into the fuseblock without any wires attached? Very confusing, I’ll look into the speedway as it seems like a great option!

Thanks!
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
I would recommend the Rebel Wire Beetle harness. The wires are marked making it a very easy installation. I believe you will need ground wires that are not included in the harness but available from Rebel Wire. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks I’ll have to check it out!
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Dangib wrote:

The first time I read that I thought you typed "scorch locks" and knew exactly what you were talking about. Laughing

For me it is non-insulated terminals crimped with the long available Klein Tools 1005 crimper and then finished with heat shrink tubing. Be sure to slip the heat shrink over the wire before crimping the terminal!

I roll my own wiring harness but you seem to be getting some good suggestions on ready built harnesses that will work on a VW based car. They can make things a lot easier for those less comfortable with wiring.

Klein tools are the way to go, Anything electrical I go Klein for sure. I considered making my own fuseblock as I have a medium understanding of electrical. However I have a hard time figuring out the minor gremlins (relays give me headaches). I will have to post results of what I end up doing.
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You don't need a ratcheting crimping tool to make good crimps. In fact its easier to make a shitty crimp that will fail with them.

A good pair of Kliens or Thomas & Betts will give you the stronest crimps. It's all we use in the field on spade and ring terminals. Just make sure you put the connector in the pliers correctly to get the best crimp. The split in the metal barrel goes into the rounded side of the tool so that the dimple deform the solid side of the barrel on the connector.

I’ve found the best crimping tool is the Klein ones with a tooth in the middle that pushes directly into the crimp.

As far as crimps go, I have a bit of an unpopular option. But I order my insulated heat shrink crimps from the supplier of all the big box stores on AliExpress (same ones you can get from Ace hardware or Harbor freight, like a pack of 10 for $5.99)
Sure takes a bit for shipping, no more than 2 weeks and if you plan ahead you can get a lot more in bulk! I’ll usually get 200 of each connection size and shape for around $4-$5 after shipping and everything
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Dangib wrote:

And really cheap crimping tool... Spend a few bucks and get a quality ratchet type crimping tool with interchangeable jaws for different type of terminals...

After shattering my last harbor freight crimping tool….I have nothing but empathy for this comment. I prefer a manual set with the tooth in the middle, I find it gives a solid crimp with no doubt.
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I've used Rebel harnesses in a couple of non VW cars and they are probably the best out there. They use quality wire of appropriate gauge, not just all 16ga like the shitty empi and amazon harnesses. The fuse boxes are very high quality and the labelled wires make it pretty much fool proof.

And as Dale noted DO NOT FORGET GROUNDS on anything on the fiberglass body

brad

Great! I’ll look into that harness! The one I received from Amazon seemed excellent when I first opened the box but I soon realized it was unlabeled, missing pins, and missing wires. Resulting in a lot more work than I’d like to give for a cheap harness

I appreciate the reminder for the grounds, I will be sure to double check!!
Mrorangecrush77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:

Been there, done that. I wholeheartedly agree
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

By the way your Klein tool (crimper) with the tooth is called a "indenter"...

For terminals. and heat shrink and switches and relays and fuse blocks and such I shy away for online market places like aliexress and amazone...

There are my perfed suppliers..... Better quality stuff too....

http://delcity.net

http://waytekwire.com

KyoteII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

del city+++ try to get seamless connectors no split to worry aboutpulling apart when you crimp!
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical on a Manx clone Reply with quote

I like the Rebel harnesses also for the builds I do, they are fairly simple, well marked and Jeremy offers great support if you have questions. You should make some notes on what all you want to power up to decide which loom you want to use, the VW Deluxe gives you more accessory options but may be to many wires for a basic/simple buggy. If you have some special request you can call Rebel and have them customize to suit your needs. You will need to add grounding in a fiberglass buggy. I also suggest you keep the number of splices/connections to a minimum, each is a future failure point. use a good crimping tool!!
Dual Sport Baja Edition #302
4x Norra Mexican 1000 Evolution Meyers Manx class Champion 2017, 2019, 2021 2022
2018 NM1K 3rd in Evolution Meyers Manx class
www.norra.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: