Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

Driver side door is not opening. It will open part-way but then seems locked. This is true for both trying to open from the outside and the inside. The van had been sitting for a while and the engine battery as well as the aux batteries were very low. Recharged the engine battery but this did not solve the door problem. Does the electronic opening of that door run from the Aux battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. The door lock actuator is not making any noise.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

Update on my 95 EVC door issue. The fuse was blown. Replaced and passenger door (PD) works but driver door (DD) does not. I think I need to replace one or both actuators and the most likely culprit is the DD. However, I can't get the door open far enough to remove the panel. Is there a way to get the door latch out of its locked state? Tried pulling on the door lock but made no progress. Help is appreciated.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

Maurice I'm having the exact same issue you're having, only it's my driver's side door. I'm already tired of crawling through the passenger side.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779610

Just like you I haven't yet figured out a solution to getting the jaw hinge of the lock to open (so that I can then take the door panel off, or access the part of the door handle from the inside.

I'll be following this thread to see if anyone has helpful tips.
fifteenwindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

The problem I had; the driver door would unlock, I would pull the handle from outside, and the door would either not open at all or pop open one click and stay partially closed. I had to get in on the passenger side, open the driver’s door from the inside and pull it fully closed.

What fixed my problem was a dab of grease at the base of the latch mechanism on the door. The mechanism was not fully releasing the catch. This fixed my problem immediately, and it’s been months since I greased them. I greased the rest of the latches, too, for good measure.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

This is an odd symptom. I've had a couple early T4s with latch issues. Most recently one that the latch has to be manually opened with your finger whilst holding the external door handle in the "open" position until the latch is placed in the opened position. Only then will the door close and latch.

If the exterior door handle malfunctions i've always been able to open from the inside. I wonder if the lock is stuck? Have you tried to gently but firmly push/pull on the unit?
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
This is an odd symptom. I've had a couple early T4s with latch issues. Most recently one that the latch has to be manually opened with your finger whilst holding the external door handle in the "open" position until the latch is placed in the opened position. Only then will the door close and latch.

If the exterior door handle malfunctions i've always been able to open from the inside. I wonder if the lock is stuck? Have you tried to gently but firmly push/pull on the unit?

On mine (drivers door) I've tried every tool possible to manipulate the jaw hinge (you can just barely reach it when the door opens the inch it opens). But haven't figured out any manipulation that works.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the actuator on the driver door is not working. It makes no noise when the other doors are opened/closed. I found a comment section on another VW site that may help but I haven't tried it yet as am waiting for the actuators that I ordered to arrive. This is a screen shot of that possible fix:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

OK, now new problem. I got the door open by combining inside handle operation with pulling on lock with vise grips. Progress made. However, now I cycled the lock and it is in the locked position and I can't close the door. Yes, I know I shouldn't have cycled the lock but it's too late now.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

I solved my driver's door issue on the 1997

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10046457#10046457
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

If you haven't tried this, you can remove the fuse for the power locks. Then the lock will just operate mechanically. Assuming nothing is blocking your rods like in my case, the door might (should?) open for you.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan Camper Driver Door problem Reply with quote

Update on door issue. I ordered 2 actuators (in case both were faulty on the driver and passenger door). Replaced the actuator on the driver side and everything works great. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: