Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

Dear friends,

I am considering building my very first Sand Rail to be driven in desert environment. Neither for high performance nor for racing, but fast, leisure driving in Sahara desert. Problem is I have no clue where to start, what kind of chassis I will need, engine, transmission or brakes.

I would like some recommendations on the frame, engine, transmission, brakes, etc.

I am considering buying a frame plan and having a local welding shop building it for me.

My preferred style would be this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

IF you have little or no knowledge of what a sand rail is, I would suggest buying your first one and learning a lot about chassis, engine, confort, tires, terrains before attempting to build one from ground up with no idea what it's all about...

Yes you can get a "Kit" and have someone do all the fabrication work, yes it it will be very expensive and learning curve will be very long....

But by buying one the learning curve starts the day you hand over the cash and with your first trip to the sand.... And the season is upon us, the sand won't wait for you to build....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

If your are looking for a buggy to actually use in the Sahara Desert, contact
Funco Motorsports in Rialto, California as they have sold many of their buggies that are used there.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Funco Motorsports in Rialto, California as they have sold many of their buggies that are used there.

He could mean the "Little Sahara" in Utah since he is in VANCOUVER(?)...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
marinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
jsturtlebuggy wrote:

He could mean the "Little Sahara" in Utah since he is in VANCOUVER(?)...

No, I mean Sahara Desert in Africa - Morocco

This summer I am going in Morocco for 4 months and I will be staying close to the desert. What better opportunity for me to drive 3-4 hours a day in the desert?
marinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

From what I could see on their website they build UTVs. Although i did not see prices, I am assuming is 2-3 times more expenssive than a sand rail.

I see the UTVs more for social appeal rather than a sand rail
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

That what I thought you meant by reading your other posts.
That is why I recommended Funco as they have sold quite a few buggies to people over there.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
marinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
IF you have little or no knowledge of what a sand rail is, I would suggest buying your first one and learning a lot about chassis, engine, confort, tires, terrains before attempting to build one from ground up with no idea what it's all about...

Yes you can get a "Kit" and have someone do all the fabrication work, yes it it will be very expensive and learning curve will be very long....

But by buying one the learning curve starts the day you hand over the cash and with your first trip to the sand.... And the season is upon us, the sand won't wait for you to build....

The reason I am considering to buy a rail car plan is that at the present time I am in Europe with my work, and one of my colleague is a metallurgical engineer, that has his own welding business. He said that he can help me with the fabrication, cutting, bending, welding, etc if he would have some proper fabrication plans. It would cost me only the materials.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

If you are going to drive in actual desert I would put front brakes on it. If you are talking sand they wont do much as much.
I leave in the Southern Nevada desert and would never drive with out front brakes.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
marinpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: My first Sand Rail for the desert - Help please! Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
If you are going to drive in actual desert I would put front brakes on it. If you are talking sand they wont do much as much.
I leave in the Southern Nevada desert and would never drive with out front brakes.

eQ

Copy that! Thank you for the info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: