Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy colors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is blue for you?
anything else but blue
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bright colors only
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
other
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Buggy colors Reply with quote

For discussion/entertainment purposes only:

Why the heck does everyone repaint these old Buggies medium blue? Now this is just personal taste but... next to medium brown, blue is the most mundane, boring color out there! These Buggies are unique, outstanding, special! Give them an outstanding color then. Yellow, orange, red, purple, bright green, neon blue anything that lets them stand apart from the crowd. If you have to go blue at least make it a nice bright blue metal flake so it sparkles in the sun.

White is ok if there is some striping or graphics. I really like one I saw done up in the Herbie motif! Black... well... not so much either.

I guess if your purpose is to disappear in a crowded parking lot or on the street in traffic the by all means paint it medium blue!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Since Dune Buggies are "fun" vehicles, they look best in "fun" colors.

Personally I like candy colors with lots of flake.

A good friend had one that was candy orange with heavy flake and a orange/white interior... very nice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

You can probably guess who cast the first vote, and click'd "other" (on account of my preference being gray primer).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Is that actually a choice or is it a default color, the other option being red primer? Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

I personally can not stand any vehicle painted green. Ever since I was a little kid I always hated green cars. Any brand or model green cars are just ugly.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Decades ago, my buggy used to be black primer. Then I moved to Florida, and the blazing sun got me started on gray, but only on upper surfaces for awhile.

I'm not suggesting gray is what anybody else's buggy should be. Your buggy is your build and should be your choice of color. I actually love seeing the different colors of different builds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

I like loud colors that few cars are painted. I much as I like bright red it is so "done" on cars already that I wouldn't want a buggy that color. Purple is at the top of my list because so few cars get that from the factory. Fiery orange, loud yellow, or bright green get my vote too. Blue, like red, has pretty much been done to death even though many buggies do wear it well. Blues, browns, grays, slivers, and black also tend to blend into the background more, and I don't want to blend in when driving a sub 1500 lb. car!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Purple is at the top of my list because so few cars get that from the factory. Fiery orange, loud yellow, or bright green get my vote too

Porsche has "paint to sample"

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Orange here but that's a tribute to my dads orange baja bug. Since 2008 all the buggies and race cars out of the garage have been orange.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I personally can not stand any vehicle painted green. Ever since I was a little kid I always hated green cars. Any brand or model green cars are just ugly.

That is how I feel about blue. Medium to dark green belongs on late '60, early '70s Mustangs, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles and some of the British Leland cars of that era.

The only green I would put on a Buggy is this one. Someone posted a picture of a Buggy in close to this color a while back and it was outstanding in my opinion.

Last edited by oprn on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I don't want to blend in when driving a sub 1500 lb. car!

Exactly!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

My Buggy came in to me in yellow. At some time in the past it was originally red metal flake. I am a big fan of red metal flake and I considered taking back to that but... this yellow just WORKS!! It just would not slap you as hard visually in red like it does in yellow!

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Blue it is then!

The Mrs. wants the buggy painted in Yamaha racing colors: Blue & Silver. I'm good with that.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

According to insurance company statistics red cars get the most traffic tickets.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

There's a fairly new SUV running around with a gorgeous metallic Root Beer brown, which would be my choice if I were going to paint a buggy....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
torchwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

For me, it's just gotta be bold. If it's blue, its gotta pop. I'm planning on bright orange metalflake with candy root beer accents.

Last edited by torchwerks on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Blue it is then!

The Mrs. wants the buggy painted in Yamaha racing colors: Blue & Silver. I'm good with that.

What is it with the ladies and blue? I don't think it's my imagination... they ALL like blue! My wife's new car came in blue and she is on cloud 9! Ya it's a nice clean car and all that but... blue? Spare me!!! Rolling Eyes

Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

I went with blue because it seems to me everyone goes with red.
72 Super
63 Bug
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Ok, ok, I admit - it does look nice! Embarassed Laughing

I too am very fond of metal flake in any color. It doesn't come in yellow though...

Years ago in a shop I worked at we did two gold flake over yellow base paint jobs for a fellow. One was a '29 Chrysler and the other was a ski boat. He loved it but I was not impressed. It just did not look right to me.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I too am very fond of metal flake in any color. It doesn't come in yellow though...

Huh?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: