Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help.. Twisted Engine!!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

HELP my engine seems to be rotated to one side ..

is it OK to drive?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

Safe????

Something is bent or broken. I wouldn't until its fixed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

I cant find anything bent or broken .. of course maybe I don't know what to look for .. I have only had it thru the winter and have only driven it maybe 10 miles mostly on pavement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

From picture perspective, looks like the whole back is twisted.

Would like to see your trans cradle and horns...

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

More pics. Top, bottom, sides. Torsion at frame. Enough pics, and somebody will spot it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

Measure the ends of the framehorns to the ground.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

Secpnd glance. The motor plate bolts into the frame horns are off. Bent frame horns or the torsion housing is twisting. Do you have frame horn supports tying into the frame?
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

That's a Beater Yikes I would sell it to someone that's blind in one eye and cant see out of the other or... do a full tear down Re Fab the whole ass end.
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

I measured the horns .. the one on passenger side is an inch or so lower than the other

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

Looking at that trans brace you can see how much it has moved. The strange thing is for everything to be moved that much I would expect to see a failed weld somewhere or a crease in the frame horn where it's given way.

Pull the motor out. Takes 30 minutes. It's easy and you'll learn a lot about your rig just from that. Then get your head in there with a spotlight on all the seams and welds.

It's very possible you might be looking at welding in a new IRS. Unless you did this I bet someone unloaded this on you and didn't tell you. Frame horns are pretty stout and for it to be that f'ed you're gonna remember the event. I bet you find an impact spot on the driver side somewhere, probably the rear trans mount plate.

It's possible it's driveable though. Depends on whether your driveaxles aren't angled too much now or if there's something broken or about ready to snap. Just being crooked isn't a deal breaker necessarily. Just kinda sucks.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

[quote="wwwben"]I measured the horns .. the one on passenger side is an inch or so lower than the other/quote]
That's why it's twisted.

Now how did it happen and how do you fix it are the questions.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

yeah… i have only driven it a few miles .. and i’m not able to weld. i’ll see if i can find someone who can fix this .. i live in the middle of no where uggg
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

I would help, but you'd have to bring it down to muskegon.
No spots of damage have been identified yet except the fact that the one side is bent up. If it's only a matter of a bent horn it might be possible to get a porta-power on it and push it back where it needs to be or at least even with the other horn. Or a frame tube could be added that could be wedged in there permanently to push it back if there's room. I wouldn't say that's the ideal fix. But if you could remove the engine and trans and take it to a place that has body shop style tools they may be able to push it back where it needs to be without welding anything as long as there are no rips or broken seams in the metal. I would still do some frame strengthening after that, adding some triangulated tubes to help strengthen a weakened area, but that's up to you and how hard you want to drive it.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help.. Twisted Engine!! Reply with quote

If you are not setup to "fix" the problem, you might consider getting estimate from a shop that can do chassis/frame straightening....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: