Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GasBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

I'm making some progress on my barn find 1965. Got her tuned up and running better. I figured out something odd. If I pump the gas pedal at all before trying to cold start, it won't fire up, no matter what I do. You'll need starting fluid to get it running but with a little starting fluid it will fire right up and run smooth. BUT If you don't touch the gas pedal it will always fire right up. As seen in this video.

Link

Aside from that, I have a major fuel leak from I'm assuming the fuel pump. I looked on RockAuto for a rebuild kit, they just sell individual gaskets. I'm looking for someone to tell me that I should buy X kit from X vendor. Or, perhaps I need to send it out for a rebuild? Or perhaps just gaskets usually solve this problem. This is my first VW.

[/youtube]
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

Fuel pump rebuild kit from Wolfsburg West. Two choices depending on what type of fittings you have on your pump.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198553
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198555

If you don't want to do the rebuild yourself, there are a few folks here on Samba who do excellent work. Mine was rebuilt by Ed Fall at Vintage Werks.

http://www.vintagewerks.com
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Fuel pump rebuild kit from Wolfsburg West. Two choices depending on what type of fittings you have on your pump.

If you don't want to do the rebuild yourself, there are a few folks here on Samba who do excellent work. Mine was rebuilt by Ed Fall at Vintage Werks.

The latest WW FP rebuild kits are excellent.
Clean and reuse the original diaphragm spring, to make sure that the pump output pressure is with in the VW spec.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
GasBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

Im glad they're good quality. The cost is close to what a new Carter fuel pump is on Rock Auto. But I would like to keep the original

Does Wolfsburg West have a discount code for the forum?
GasBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

Does anyone have an opinion about the odd cold start?

Fires up great with no pressing the pedal, but if you press the pedal first you'll not be able to start it without starting fluid, however, it doesn't seem to be flooded or running rich.

At the moment I thought I would fix the pump and see what changes with the starting. But since I'm going to be ordering parts, if there is something else I likey need from WW, I would like to get it on one order.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rcroane wrote:

The latest WW FP rebuild kits are excellent.
Clean and reuse the original diaphragm spring, to make sure that the pump output pressure is with in the VW spec.

While the WW kits are currently the best out there, there are some issues with a few of the parts in that kit. Their new rocker pin is undersized and there is an issue with a part that goes in the square top pumps. I only rebuild the original Pierburg diaphragm assemblies using new OEM Effbe diaphragm assemblies. It's a bummer that like most other "new" parts for our VWs, they are not as good as the original parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

GasBuggy wrote:
Or, perhaps I need to send it out for a rebuild? Or perhaps just gaskets usually solve this problem. This is my first VW. [/youtube]

Your engine sounds like the carb is leaking into the manifold.

Don't use starting fluid!!

Send it out.

I've spent many decades doing it all myself on my Porsches and VWs. They always ran, and most of the time ran really well. But since I started passing the detail stuff off to pros with experience and right tools and equipment I learned how marginal my work really was.

I know it involves some $$ and I may be at a different place in life than you, but if I wanted to drive and really enjoy a sweet running VW I would send the carb, distributor, and fuel pump out to the pros first thing. A great running old VW is a joy to drive, and marginal one is ... not. Life is too short for "not."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Question and Fuel Pump Issue on 1965 1200cc (video) Reply with quote

GasBuggy wrote:
… But I would like to keep the original

Does Wolfsburg West have a discount code for the forum?

Excellent train of thought my guy! Most new owners want to replace parts right away with bolt on new stuff, which sometimes works, but many times leads to frustrated and disappointed experiences because of the underwhelming quality of many “new” parts. Rebuilding a good core is usually the preferred option, and fuel pumps are a fantastic place to get your feet wet (not with fuel hopefully)!
As an example of the parts quality issues we have; replacement fuel pumps are commonly diagnosed with excessive fuel pressure, due to inappropriate spring rate and pressure one the diaphragm, which causes hard starting and flooded carburetors.

I’m not aware of a Wolfsburg west coupon code, they tend to be a little higher in price but they also carry a lot of good quality part that they have engineered and/or had made themselves.

I can’t answer your pump-the-gas question, it sure seems opposite of how VW designed it. The owners manuals usually tell the driver to press the gas twice and then start.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Hard Start Issue Reply with quote

Order in the pump kit you need or send it out, meanwhilst you need to do a complete and PROPER service / tune up and this always begins with adjusting the valves ~ you can't hear them in the video and this means they're tight, a very bad thing indeed .

Remove the sump cover and oil screen and clean it well, replace with the correct typ of 6X1.0MM cap nuts and copper washers, not just 6MM nuts .

Remove the spark plugs and inspect them, use a wire typ gauge or drill bit to adjst the gap to .030" ~ .035" .

Look across the plug gap ~ if the center electrode is rounded on the edges, that spark plugs os kaput, get new ones, Bosh (?) of NGK copper cored ones, the good folks here will tel you the correct part #, most of the time the parts counter guy will give you the wrong ones or try to up sell you to !!PLATINUM!! or other crap your old tech engine doesn't need nor want .

Then set points gap / dwell angle then the timing, then and only then can you touch the carby .

Do things in the correct order and you'll love the car .

Do it half/@$$ed and you'll hate it and it won't be reliable .

GET RID OF THAT 1/4" FUEL HOSE BEFORE THE CAR CATCHES FIRE ! no foolin' .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: