Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

diesel generators
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: diesel generators Reply with quote

The wife wants me to get one for backup power

8500 watts should do it

any one with experience or recommendations ?

multi fuel would be even better.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Unless power goes out often for more than three days, stick with a 2kW name brand for about $1000 used
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

If all you want is for an emergency back up and probably won't use it more than a few times a year I'd buy a gasoline generator and look at Harbor freight or Northern Tools.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I would look be looking at standalone tri-fuel, and adding a breaker lockout and generator plug, instead of one with an automatic switch etc. The cost savings is huge even if you have to upgrade your electrical panel. You do want the invertor type as it's better for your electronics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

keep in mind these big generators do well at full power, but if you aren't running a big enough load, they don't like to run either... many people buy too big and then end up buying a smaller generator for just their fridge and some basics.

I like my Champion 2K watt
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

So, a 2K watt unit will run a couple of fridges? It wouldn't even have to be simultaneously, just enough for the food from thawing/spoiling. Thanks--
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
So, a 2K watt unit will run a couple of fridges? It wouldn't even have to be simultaneously, just enough for the food from thawing/spoiling. Thanks--

easily. avg fridge uses under 300watts. take the amps on the on the label, multiply by 120 (volts)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

easily. avg fridge uses under 300watts. take the amps on the on the label, multiply by 120 (volts)

Thanks!!! Cool Cool Cool
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I have a Honda 2200watt just a little guy end up using it every summer something happens we lose power for a good 6 hours. It will power my 1100watt room ac, The fridge, Internet modem and router, Tv and a small fan its going balls out but works. A 3000watt generator is nice size if your looking for a backup but they are heavy require a team lift to move. If you have natural gas or propane that's a nice fuel option they make conversation kits. But you wont get the full wattage unless you use gasoline.

I change out the fuel early spring and use Sta-Bil storage it has fired right up every time I needed it. Use ethanol free fuel of course
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

looking to power the house , well pump, furnace ,refrigeration, lights, etc.
also full time power for a shop/garage.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I power the house (well, gas furnace, fridge and most lights) easily with a 7500 watt one, thanks to LED bulbs the lighting part of the load is almost nothing now.

But this shop of yours?, what's going on in there?, welders?, compressors?, lights?, heat? And all day every day?, or just now and then?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I have a Honda 2200. It ran a 12000 btu window AC and my fridge and a couple of lights just fine. My problem was finding gas for it after a hurricane when we lost power for 6 days. And the noise sucks, even for such a quiet unit.

So, I built a battery backup with 2000 watts of solar panels and kept the gas generator to top up the battery if solar runs short. That means the gas generator is the backup to my backup and hasn't been used for a couple of years.

Do an energy audit and see how much power you really need.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I have a Honda 2200. It ran a 12000 btu window AC and my fridge and a couple of lights just fine. My problem was finding gas for it after a hurricane when we lost power for 6 days. And the noise sucks, even for such a quiet unit.

So, I built a battery backup with 2000 watts of solar panels and kept the gas generator to top up the battery if solar runs short. That means the gas generator is the backup to my backup and hasn't been used for a couple of years.

What Solar controller and inverter are you using? With 2000 watts you need a 200 amp controller? The Mrs wants a cabana out back its a perfect spot for a solar farm would love to power the bedroom A/C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

What Solar controller and inverter are you using? With 2000 watts you need a 200 amp controller? The Mrs wants a cabana out back its a perfect spot for a solar farm would love to power the bedroom A/C

My system is 24 volts. I'm using Victron 150/60 and a 100/20 solar charge controllers. And a Victron MultiPlus 3000 inverter.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Our 6000W ran the well pump to the house and barns, propane furnace/blower, fridge and kitchen lights. Our electrician set up a panel switch so we could flip to generator feed, and it worked great.

You could go old school and get a big old tractor and do the same thing (we ran two houses, 3 barns and 2 wells off that thing), but that may be a little overkill.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Why not VW powered? This is the back-up generator I built for my house. I gave it remote start so you don't even need to go outside, just press a button.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Our motorhome has an Onan Cummins Diesel 4kw
The diesel will allow for longer boondocking. It does smell and you have to watch your fuel level as it draws from the same tank as the motor.
The rig is built in Canada. Canadian delivery has a auto gen shut off as a fail safe. US models don't Confused

We installed a propane fueled 22kw Generac generator for the house about 10 years ago. Everything is automatic. If the power goes out the generator kicks on in about 15 seconds.
It's important to us that we have reliable power as we have a well and septic.
It is nice to run A/C or heat as needed.
Pro's, Fairly quiet and very little odor.
Con's, it's propane. We nearly ran out last year due to a driver shortage.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I have a 3K watt gasoline power plant but there are 2 things wrong with it. First is that it is NOT enough power to run the well. Second is the being gasoline, storage of fuel is a problem. I like to keep 2 jerry cans on hand and cycle them out by using them for my sand rail and garden/yard fuel supply. All good but the power outages always seem to happen when I am about due to refill the cans leaving me with little to no fuel on hand and no power at the gas pumps in town!

The solution in my mind is to have a natural gas powered generator that just plugs into a barbeque outlet. The natural gas has not been off here in 30 years for any reason. It is also far far cheaper than gasoline!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

I bought a NG carb for my 7kw gen last year for the same reasons, this post reminds me I have to put that on before winter, got me a BBQ outlet and hose for it too.

You'll have to do a size upgrade if you convert, less HP than gasoline I'm told, if it can't run the well now you'll be extra screwed on NG..

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

Thanks, I am aware of that!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: diesel generators Reply with quote

We have a 5K Honda and use it once or twice a year. Be sure to start it every couple of months and check the battery. Ours has a pull start and starts quite easily.

We had our electrician put in a new panel so that we have to throw 1 switch to disconnect from the grid and power into our house.

I also bought a Boat type 10 gallon gas trolley that I keep next to the Generator and full of gas. I also put a leash on it so it does not walk away.

It was an expensive upgrade, but when the powers out and I have lights and heat my wife's cooktop work I'm happy.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: