Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sourcing for manual swap components?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
altered7151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

The trans in our 2001 Weekender is on it's last leg, so like many of you I'm staring down the barrel of a transmission rebuild/replacement. We've decided we'd really like to keep our van for the long haul, and a manual swap seems to be the best path forward. I'm capable of doing the swap all myself, and have studied up on the swaps done by others here and from other sources. I'm currently on the waiting list at Quality German for the parts from him, but I was curious if people have used other sources for the components? I'm hoping Quality German works out as they're close enough for me to be able to drive down and pick up the parts, but I'd also like to get the van up and running before the summer is out as well. So if I don't make if far enough up the list to get set up on the current import batch, I was looking for a plan B. I had heard a couple people mention an importer for parts from Poland, but can't seem to find any solid info. Any advice?
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

I'm the one from Poland Smile but nothing in stock right now
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

Quality German supplied me with everything I needed.

Just want to let you know a couple things that you may already have read about, but just in case....

Keep your TCM and transmission wiring harness installed.
You'll get a check engine light because the automatic is missing. I came up with a fix for this.

More info on that here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776051&highlight=

There's also an issue with the starter not working because the park/neutral switch is missing. I have a solution for that that I'll post here soon.
Hope your swap goes well. PM me if you need questions answered. Glad to help.
altered7151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
Quality German supplied me with everything I needed.

Just want to let you know a couple things that you may already have read about, but just in case....

Keep your TCM and transmission wiring harness installed.
You'll get a check engine light because the automatic is missing. I came up with a fix for this.

More info on that here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776051&highlight=

There's also an issue with the starter not working because the park/neutral switch is missing. I have a solution for that that I'll post here soon.
Hope your swap goes well. PM me if you need questions answered. Glad to help.

Your thread on your swap and sorting out the TCM issues is what made me finally decide to take the plunge and do the swap. I live in an area that requires smog and we can't pass if the CEL is on, so that was a big roadblock for me. I'm definitely planning on getting one of your boxes. I'm sure I could sort it our from your diagrams you posted, but having a plug and play option sure would be a time saver. I'll keep a lookout for a post on the switch solution, if not I'm sure I'll be sending you a couple PMs with questions. Thanks!
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

As of this afternoon, there was still a manual transmission/engine in this Eurovan at the Pick-N-Pull in Vancouver, WA.

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/WV2MC0702PH047610
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

FYI still there as of yesterday afternoon, pedal box too, and PickNPull is 50% off this weekend

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

Someone should grab that but it won't help the OP - wrong trans for the V6.
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

Apologies, I missed the fact that it was a VR6
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sourcing for manual swap components? Reply with quote

So a question...What engine is my 93 5 sp fit? I thought the were all the same. Bill PR N VT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: