Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealer fog light installation sheet
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Dealer fog light installation sheet Reply with quote

I am looking for the Thing specific dealer instructions for the optional fog lights.
I had this document at one time but can't find it. It could be in the Archives but I am not seeing it ?

Thanks if anyone has it
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer fog light installation sheet Reply with quote

I'm thinking its best as well to draw the power direct from the battery to avoid any voltage overload at the fuse box
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer fog light installation sheet Reply with quote

In stock form, the main artery running back-to-front is the 6 mm sq (approx. 10 AWG) red/white wire, which runs from the starter terminal 30 to one of the terminal 30 lugs in the headlight switch.

The capacity of that wire will limit the continuous current draw of the car's entire electrical system, except the for starter, (because all of the electrical current used by the car, except the for starter, runs through that wire).

It would be worth a check with your amp meter to determine just how much current that wire is carrying when the headlights, wipers, your new fog lights, and everything else that typically would be powered driving at night in the rain.

Im my own car, (with a custom wiring harness) I have increased the size of the main artery to 8 AWG, but check the current draw on your own car before you do anything rash.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer fog light installation sheet Reply with quote

A long time ago I replaced my right side dash pod with a left side dash pod. I reworked the pod so that the emergency switch and brake warning light remained in their respective locations. I then added some additional gauges.

What this gave me was an extra fuse panel to which I've been slowly shifting any "accessories" to.

This fuse panel is partially powered by an additional wire directly from the battery complete with 30A thermal circuit breaker. You can see the red wire in the photo before it was hooked up. It's pretty beefy (8GA Marine Grade Battery wire). My map light, power sockets, washer pump, and driving lights are powered by the secondary fuse panel. Each load has it's own properly sized fuse.

Rewire in progress
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: