Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield needed
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Windshield needed Reply with quote

Just had my windshield tinted and it developed a crack. Crap!

Anybody point me to a good source for windshield for a 69 fastback?

T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

You could try ISPwest or Bill and Steve’s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

I went to my local glas shop and got a new one. Took a couple of days
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

Okay, I have new windshield in hand along with a new window seal. I"ve replaced all the other windows on this vehicle except the windshield.

I know how to use a cord to pull the window seal onto the frame. I am wanting to know from anyone who has replaced a windshield on a fastback, if you can do it without removing the dashpad. It looks tight down there at the bottom of the windshield on the inside where it meets the dash. I am wondering If I'll be able to get that lower seal pulled on while leaving the dashpad in.

Thanks

T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Okay, I have new windshield in hand along with a new window seal. I"ve replaced all the other windows on this vehicle except the windshield.

I know how to use a cord to pull the window seal onto the frame. I am wanting to know from anyone who has replaced a windshield on a fastback, if you can do it without removing the dashpad. It looks tight down there at the bottom of the windshield on the inside where it meets the dash. I am wondering If I'll be able to get that lower seal pulled on while leaving the dashpad in.

Thanks

T-roy

My wife and I have done it on a Fastback, a Squareback, a Notchback, and even a T-34. No the dash pad can stay put. I usually start pulling the rope out of the bottom first, but I've also pulled it out of the top first before. It's not really any harder than doing any of the other stationary glass. We've done rear side windows on a Chevy suburban (the glass is thinner), and even glass in a sliding van door. It's really no harder than doing the rear window of a pickup truck. The rear window of a Fastback is harder than the front, due to the limited amount of room between the seal and the rear deck tray. At least a Notch has a little more room since it stands up more.
I hope this helps.

Someone on here used masking or duct tape to hold the glass and seal in position, then pulled the rope. Someone else used a ratchet strap to replace the 2nd person (including pics). Where there's a will, there's a way.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

yup, replaced my front wind nshield also last week with new seals, just had someone pushing on the outside because the windshield tends to pop out, after that started pulling the ropes from the bottom middle to the sides and going up

when done, gentle tapping the windshield in all places to give a final seat for the new rubber
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
yup, replaced my front wind nshield also last week with new seals, just had someone pushing on the outside because the windshield tends to pop out, after that started pulling the ropes from the bottom middle to the sides and going up

when done, gentle tapping the windshield in all places to give a final seat for the new rubber

Yup, the big key is to keep the outer lip from trying to roll under. You want it to lay out flat against the body.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield needed Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Someone else used a ratchet strap to replace the 2nd person (including pics). Where there's a will, there's a way.

I did that. I used good quality suction cups as well to help pull from the inside.
i
I've used this technique sucessfully on a Vanagon and 911 as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember to put the metal trim in BEFORE installing the windshield. That trim is honestly the hardest, longest, and most painful part.

They make tools to insert the rope, they make things faster. I went around twice with the rope.

Lastly, you could always get one of those mobile glass companies to install it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: