Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart.
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

I drive 30 miles to the beach this past weekend through several stop lights down major roads, idles perfectly at 750 as soon as i mash the clutch. Park and spend day at beach, turn key and it cranks and then immediately dies, will not start, keep turning key doesn't turn over smells of gas, finally starts after about 15 minutes of really getting on the starter and gas pedal, runs choppy for a minute or so and then begins to idle perfectly at 750rpms. I drive her home, runs fantastic the whole way there. next morning same no start problem.

I have all new sensors including map. spark fuel and compression ok. my suspicion is there is some type of fuel pump relay fuse issue during startup. The actual fuel pump relay is brand new and I can hear it come on when i turn the key. IAC is also new and functioning.

I took a picture of the relays in question and put it below, the relays I have not swapped out are the ones that are in upper left hand corner upside down labeled 38 and 53, I looked up the serial numbers and they say engine compartment, fuel pump relay etc. also number 18 which is ignition auxiliary

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm also concerned that the ecm is acting funny because I did a swap to a manual, but I have started the engine numerous times and it always cranks first time until now.

Last edited by VWinny on Mon May 08, 2023 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Check ECU relay too? Definitely can fail.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

ecu relay brand new. do you know how to test?
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

I'll also note that after I got home I went back out to crank after about an hour and it turned over and idled just fine.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

There's some youtube videos that explain it way better than I can, I've watched one or two and done some bench testing. I'd have to watch them again to be confident in my explanation, not trying to say "use the search," not that guy.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

UPdate:

All relay fuses bench tested OK.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Check the resistance on your coil? I have a theory that they get a little out of spec and then when they get too hot (heat increases resistance) they get too far out of spec, then will work again when they cool down- for a little while.

I'd also just because it would make me feel like I was doing something and could be the problem do the following:

- Wiggle the ECU connection in the engine bay.
- Check the central wire on the distributor, but that's because mine is a little loose and doing this actually worked once.
- Check the wires at the starter. If the ignition signal one is loose, it can cause intermittent starting issues.
- Change the ignition switch. Just plug the new one in and cheat start with the tool that does so.

Probably before all that, I'd run a VCDS check, because I own it. Can't hurt.

After that, I'd check my tempII sensor, since it's tied to the starting circuit and also is in play for the first minute of running. The 02 sensor could affect the first minute of running, but usually not starting, I think.

If it's still not running, dammit. Time to dig deeper, which I'd be figuring out.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Classic symptom of bad coil on 95. Or distributer pickup
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Ignition switch

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Well my 95 Jetta does the same thing on startup,but only from time to time..my Eurovan (93) never does that.I swapped out the coil and same I end up unplugging the fuel pump and then it runs fine till I run out of fuel so then I plug it back in and after a couple of cycles like that it runs perfect till it repeated itself ,some time later .It's been this way since I installed another ECU Over a year ago.fuel pressure is steady around 40psi.. PERHAPS U COULD TRY THAT...unplugging the fuel pump or pulling the fuse out .5th one from the rt. on the jetta..same I think on EV but double check..GOOD LUCK Bill PR & Vt
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Ignition coil. Swap in a new one. They go bad, often.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

I would get a coil, even if it isn't the problem, they are inexpensive easy to swap, and you're going to need one sooner or later. I carry a spare with me. Saved my bacon on 2 occasions
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

I installed a new NGK coil pack and engine is running great, i took it for a long drive and noticed it also stays much cooler it is built with a casing that radiates heat better, and the quality of the starter you can see is much better than most others.

Great advice on the second coil pack carry.

I carry an extra IAC, Starter, belt and now will be adding the coil pack to my tool box!

thanks everyone for great info
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive 30 miles to beach and no start/ hard strart. Reply with quote

Good newy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: