Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for a rest
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Well...... after 2 years of running on an almost daily basis, my Van is getting a short vacation.
Just sitting, no work on it is planned.......

I'm going for Cataract surgery tomorrow and am taking a week or so off.
I'm told I won't need that much time but I am preparing for the worst..... just in case........ But hoping for the best.

I'm expecting a dead battery most likely, it seems to be struggling lately as it is being used every day.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Wife had it done.

Her biggest complaint was eye dryness afterward.

If you die under the knife, may I have your van?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

All the best with the surgery! The van will miss you, but it will just have to wait.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

All the best.

Pull the neg cable off.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Good luck with the surgery.... If it's helps, just think of all the love you can give it after your surgery when you can see the things on it you haven't seen before.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

as i age, my vision is one of my most frustrating body deteriorations in terms of mechanic-ing. i hate the narrow focus range, inability to see in the dark, and the cloudiness from mild cataracts. from what i hear, you'll love the new lenses! you getting a vision correction with them for near or far?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Soooo...one less mod for a couple of weeks. Time for mischief!

Seriously, though, all the best with the surgery and I hope you recover swiftly.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
as i age, my vision is one of my most frustrating body deteriorations in terms of mechanic-ing. i hate the narrow focus range, inability to see in the dark, and the cloudiness from mild cataracts. from what i hear, you'll love the new lenses! you getting a vision correction with them for near or far?

Yep. Add in glasses either fogging or getting sweat dripping down the lenses and it becomes a really fun time. I did buy a second set of glasses that are “screen” glasses. They only have medium and close range which makes it easier for seeing crap when you’re trying to focus on something because you aren’t having to try and see through the bottom of the lense.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
All the best.

Pull the neg cable off.

dude, he's not on life support. Cool

BiWerks Design, LLC
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Hopefully the surgeon is not on "Flat Rate". Wink Sure it will all be good.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

make sure you get the euro spec H4s
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Hope it goes well Dave. It's super frustrating working under the van and I can't get my eyes far enough away to focus on something. Yesterday doing some upholstery threading the needle a few times required a little French.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Wasn't it just the other day that you said you weren't "dead or dying"? Wink Here's hoping that all goes well and that your van is ready for your return.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10050527#10050527

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Dave's done upgrading the van, so he's upgrading himself!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

I was in the middle of my engine conversion when I had my PRK laser eye surgery. I had a friend help, he was the eyes and I was the brain.

Also, the surgery was totally worth it. Hope yours goes well!
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

I'm sure it will go smoothly!
As I get older the number of reading glasses I have scattered around multiplies!
Zac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Best of luck with the surgery, a friend's wife just had hers done on Monday and she's already feeling a lot better!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

I've opted to be corrected as farsighted.
I've been near sighted with glasses for over 60 years and am very used to wearing glasses except for close up work.

During my pre surgery discussion with the doctor he was talking about the various options for lenses.
I mentioned that I would prefer to stay near sighted for that is what I'm used to.

He said that this can be done but may not be the best choice. In a nutshell what he said is that as we age the ability to see far away kind of levels out while close up vision continues to deteriorate.
If he corrected me for near sightedness the odds are high that as the years tick by I would end up needing glasses to see close up too........ While the far sight correction tends to hold better over time. 🤷‍♂️

I cannot confirm or refute his observation but I'll run with it.

The other option is lenses to correct for both vision issues, completely eliminating the need for eye glasses.
This option comes at a huge added $,$$$ expense!
I've also heard and read about problems with this type of correction...... low light vision issues, halos around lights at night, and a light sensitivity is reported.
I did ask the doctor and he confirmed these reports, he added that some return to have these expensive lenses removed because they are so bothered by the issues.
I figure these vision issues I already have with the cataracts, why spend big $$'s so that I can continue to have the same problems?

Anyway....... If I should die during the procedure...... I figure Steve (dabaron) has first crack at my Van!
God knows he needs a dependable engine! 😂😂😂😂

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Wed May 10, 2023 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

Wishing you well with your cataract procedure. My eye has been giving me problems, thought it was a cataract, turns out I've got a pituitary tumor! Going for removal on Friday...so Dave, as they say, it could always be worse. Cataract surgery, in my case, would be welcomed.
At least my recently aquired Westy is sorted so my wife can drive me around for a couple weeks!
Aging is so exciting!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a rest Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Anyway....... If I should die during the procedure...... I figure Steve has first crack at my Van!
God knows he needs a dependable engine! 😂😂😂😂

yay! thanks.

glad you did your research. Wife arrived at the same conclusion.

They told her to take it easy for a day or so. This was during Covid so I had to sit out in the cold car waiting for her. It was about 90 minutes from drop-off to pick-up. Two separate days with one eye on each day.

She used to have prescription glasses but now makes due with just readers.

She was so sold on it she wanted me to get mine done. I'm waiting for my vision to get worse.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: