Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Just picked up a 69 Beetle. Come to find out they shaved off the inside quarter panel fuel door area and welded sheet metal on the inside covering it up, and it has a 67 tank. Not too happy about this. I want to get a 69 tank and remove the sheet metal and have the fuel door compartment welded so I actually have a fuel door. How can I go about getting this setup so I can have it installed without getting an entire right side quarter panel?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Here's a picture of what the inner part of the fuel door is. That is, part of a bare quarter panel.

The fuel door and the inner (concave) part come out and you are left with a hole.

If I understand you correctly, you can cut out any inner plate welded to the quarter panel, as long as you leave a "ledge" for the fuel door structure to fit on. It doesn't have to be pretty as the fuel door structure will cover any damage done when you cut it. You can see where mine has been "over cut" in sections but the final result will be not seen.

Is this what you need?

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

PS. Mine is a 68 because of the dimple. But later models that didn't have this were the same re the inner structure.

You can see that I had to repair that quarter panel area. Not pleasant if you have to do it as it is impossible to get behind some areas to dolly out the welding.
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Thats exactly what I want to attempt. I included pics for my project, I started sanding a bit to see if I could get an outer line to know if I was dealing with filler or sheetmetal, looks like filler. And a pic of the inside weld. I have no idea why anyone would even do this.

So what your saying is cut out that inner sheetmetal, leave a lip for the gas door to rest on. I have pic of what I need to purchase, but I still need that gas spout with the small neck for the inside connection. What are you doing about your internal gas piece (pic below), Thanks

Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Hopefully, they left you enough metal under the Bondo and behind the patch. You may want to consider buying a cut section of the inner fender with the filler opening and neck in place from someone like https://averysaircooled.com or others listed here under Communities>Businesses. Then you can cut and graft in the full piece.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

I would remove the Bondi filler and the inner welded piece. If you are lucky the ledge or flange is still there. Can’t see why they would have cut it out. It would have just been more work for them. I think they welded the plate in the back and just used filler from the outside.

The new piece you show will then just fit exactly in the hole you’ve uncovered.

I’m not sure exactly what your last question is. Do you mean the filler pipe that goes through the new part you show?
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Yes correct, the filler pipe with the flange the gas cap screws onto. Looks like it would be welded (possibly) on to that compartment that needs to be welded/installed
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

I agree with the idea of buying and OG section on the metal. The new reproduction stuff is generally ill fitting and if the door doesn't fit properly it will look like crap and you may have issues with the release operating correctly. The aftermarket release cables are terrible as well look for a good used original.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

From the frenched antenna in the fender and the lack of trim, it looks like they were going for that smooth bare look, and so the flap had to go.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu May 11, 2023 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

If you are not too concerned with keeping it original to '69 (cable release fuel door) here is a Samba listing with what you need:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2576302
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

I need to say thank you, you guys are awesome. I can figure this out from here. Your responses have been very helpful!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the inner pipe that I posted above.
1968-70 are the same AFAIK.

I would try and get a used unit from the classifieds or wrecking yard which INCLUDED the pipe. On some units the pipe is fixed or swaged into the housing and comes compete whereas the one in my 68 is a slip fit.

Otherwise you are going to have to get a pipe to insert into the part you bought.

Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Here is a photo of the inner pipe that I posted above.
1968-70 are the same AFAIK.

I ordered a good cutout section from a scrap yard. Its complete with the neck.

What I need to figure out is the exact position, and its not like there's 69 beetles I can go get measurements from.

I think I need the horizontal measurement from the lip where the door meets the quarter panel to the beginning of the fuel door, and from the top of the quarter panel vertical measurement where the recess begins from where the quarter panel meets the hood to the top of the fuel door.

I have no idea where to get this
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

I can take measurements when I get home this afternoon if you don't find anything sooner. I have a '68 body but I think the measurements are the same.
Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
I can take measurements when I get home this afternoon if you don't find anything sooner. I have a '68 body but I think the measurements are the same.

That would be awesome Thank you, and no rush on this, wont be welding for this anytime soon
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

Here is what I have:

From the door flange to the left side of the door opening about 7 3/8"

From the top of the trunk opening to the top of the door opening about 1 7/16"

Gtp70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Fuel door flap and enclosure Reply with quote

You’ve been a huge help thank you!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: