Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is AAA best for longer distance towing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For a solo rider with low local support, Ill give you that. Get the 100 mile AAA plan for peace of mind, and keep on top of your mule.

Exactly. It's just safety net thing. It's for extreme emergencies when all else fails to get it going. I can make one call, then then sit back and wait. No stressing out over trying to find a tow company that'll actually send a truck when you ask for one. Just keep some water and snacks with me so I can wait it out.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I've had AAA for years ( top tier RV plus). My last year I have had awful experiences. I was told a 9 hr wait time in a good sized town on a federal hwy ( they showed up 15 minutes later and took the car but left me in the Walmart, I come out and the car was gone!!!!). Was totally blown off after 3 service requests on a Sunday afternoon. They never did show up, had to call friend for a tow strap haul back home ( not much fun when you have to maintain brake pressure on a 73 Chrysler New Yorker, down hill for 35 miles). The AP is a total joke, no updates, no customer service. You can pay for the "service" but you are on your own in reality.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I've had AAA for years ( top tier RV plus). My last year I have had awful experiences. I was told a 9 hr wait time in a good sized town on a federal hwy ( they showed up 15 minutes later and took the car but left me in the Walmart, I come out and the car was gone!!!!). Was totally blown off after 3 service requests on a Sunday afternoon. They never did show up, had to call friend for a tow strap haul back home ( not much fun when you have to maintain brake pressure on a 73 Chrysler New Yorker, down hill for 35 miles). The AP is a total joke, no updates, no customer service. You can pay for the "service" but you are on your own in reality.

The thing is, that's all on the company they hired. Not on AAA itself. Your results will vary, same as hiring any company yourself. Weekends are always worse, especially Sunday. A 9 hour wait is still better than nothing at all or paying 5x as much, at least to me.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Are you refering to the tow company?? Of course "results will vary", AAA pays shit and no sane tow company wants the headache. I'm talking about the call center ( or routing center ) and the lies/ghosting they delivered.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Are you refering to the tow company?? Of course "results will vary", AAA pays shit and no sane tow company wants the headache. I'm talking about the call center ( or routing center ) and the lies/ghosting they delivered.

I see. The one tow I have ever needed on the F250 via Progressive insurance roadside, the tow driver admitted he was lazy and didn't do his job right when he showed up with a really too small hauler. He saw the work order of an 87 F250 with no further info so in his infinite wisdom, he decided not to call to ask details. He assumed single cab with short bed. Nope, extended cab with long bed. He barely fit it on and had to drive several extra miles a long way around to avoid many turns in town because of how much it was hanging off the back. He really did want to go get the proper truck, he also admitted.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Twice I’ve had tows from AAA / CAA that would have cost me ~$1000 out of pocket. Those times alone make the fees worthwhile.

As to lack of service in small towns, if found the opposite. I’ve generally been able to get a truck to show up in minutes because most small towns don’t have a lot going on. It’s the bigger cities where I’ve had to wait sometimes.

I have a lot of vehicles, and have probably uses their services 15 times in the last 25 years. My membership also gets me discounted gas at some stations, cheap movie tickets, and free passport photos for the family, among other perks. To me, it’s worth every penny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
Twice I’ve had tows from AAA / CAA that would have cost me ~$1000 out of pocket. Those times alone make the fees worthwhile.

As to lack of service in small towns, if found the opposite. I’ve generally been able to get a truck to show up in minutes because most small towns don’t have a lot going on. It’s the bigger cities where I’ve had to wait sometimes.

I have a lot of vehicles, and have probably uses their services 15 times in the last 25 years. My membership also gets me discounted gas at some stations, cheap movie tickets, and free passport photos for the family, among other perks. To me, it’s worth every penny.

Thank you for the useful reply.

You must have the top tier one with 1x 200 mile tow per year and remaining 3x 100 after that? That's the one with free passport photos. It's only $25 more per year but I don't think I need that much towing and I don't need passport photos. They're $8 per set on the mid plan anyway, so it's still cheaper to get the mid plan and pay the $8.

And actually AAA says 4 service calls in total, so that means anything from towing to lockout to fuel/tire. Well a lot of that is preventable. Hide a door key on the car in a magnet box, carry a couple of gallons of gas in a can on longer trips, and I carry a spare tire on a roof rack as well as a cheap set of tire plugs and tools in the glove box, and a 12v air compressor.

The laundry list of most other perks they show mean nothing to me, I mainly just care about the towing and roadside coverage. I use GasBuddy to check prices, and the Open Roads fuel card (for diesel only in truck lanes only, for my motorhome) so I doubt fuel savings would help me much, unless it's drastic like Open Roads is sometimes for diesel.

I might drop the $32/yr roadside on my auto insurance to help pay for AAA.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Also it's curious how AAA does the "classic" towing for unlimited:

"Classic membership benefits include free towing up to three (3) miles from the point of breakdown or unlimited miles back to the facility providing the tow."

Why would you want your car taken to a tow truck facility? How will that fix your car, unless it's attached to a repair shop? You get that benefit on the higher tiers too, it seems.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

When people calculate average cost per mile to get a tow. Don’t forget to add the average hook up fee is $50.00 for a tow. I save 10% at Napa auto parts which offsets membership costs. I had to use AAA once when my very well cared with new engine 74 beetle wouldn’t start after work (Ignition switch broke) couldn’t bump start it. Another time I had the car towed to my buddy’s shop from my house because I screwed something up Embarassed Another time my wife’s new BMW had a tire issue so bad she couldn’t drive it. No spare tire on some cars because of the “Run flat tires” that come on some cars. I do keep tow straps in all my VWs because I like long road trips and camping in unique places. AAA is in my budget. I throw away money going out to dinner with my wife too Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I've had the AAA Premium for all the years I've driven (started through our parents and kept it when AAA finally realized my sisters and I were still under our parents account as "kids" after we were well into our 40's Very Happy ).

The times I've needed to be towed, it has been well worth it. Only had one negative experience years ago when the tow company owner had to leave a family party on a Sunday as none of his drivers were available, he was a massive asshole about it, but did tow my car to my mechanics from Sellwood to SE Portland. My mom was pretty surprised at his behavior as well (she and I were out antiquing in the bus), and let AAA know about it.

I've never been charged for over mileage either - twice I've bailed the drivers out and they were appreciative that they didn't have to make the call of shame to their office (one driver managed to lock the keys in his truck while we were at a rest stop Rolling Eyes with my car on the flatbed and I got him into his cab with a random piece of flotsam from the Volvo).

I have the husband and kids on my account - it's not that much money for peace of mind - we all drive old cars, and while they are fairly well maintained, they're still old and weird shit happens.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I've had AAA for years, and when my kid was planning on riding his 500 cc Royal Enfield from ct to NC upped it to AAA RV, as that covers mcycles.
His Isuzu trooper shit out the following year, and I discovered that AAA would cover the tow to x miles and then the charge past the milage limit would be the milage AAA paid. Nice twist.
I keep it incase we need the bus towed back from the Cape to CT.
We've used it for way more than I pay for 4 family members
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

AAA is comforting to parents of young drivers. No matter where they are (with cell service) help is just a phone call away anytime of the day or night.

Actually it is also comforting to me at my advanced age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

i, too, have had aaa for years. the 200-mile tow with premium has come in handy more than once.

i used to pay for the rv coverage for the extra tows, but they cut the benefits so much i canceled that part.

i’ve only had one bad experience with a service company, and that wasn’t a tow. ran out of gas 20 miles from idaho falls. the jerk brought out gas in an open plastic jug in a driving rain storm. took three days to get the water out of my fuel system.

another possible issue…..the woman on the phone said they wouldn’t make a service call to forest service roads. !!!! luckily i was not on one of those. hope to never break down in that region again.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
AAA is comforting to parents of young drivers. No matter where they are (with cell service) help is just a phone call away anytime of the day or night.

Actually it is also comforting to me at my advanced age.

I have full timers RV insurance with roadside too (unlimited to nearest repair shop) but thankfully I carry such a crapton of tools and can fix most stuff myself well enough that I have never needed it, yet.

The $100 glow plug controller died months ago. I ended up buying a $3 momentary switch to have manual control instead. It was a matter of running 2 positive wires to the solenoid/relay from the battery through the switch. Just have to count to ~8 max most of the time when holding the button. Saves glow plug life overall. It's a mod that a lot of people do, even when their controller isn't dead.

I just ran a generator for an hour or less for the block heater the one time I needed to start the engine, before I got the momentary switch. It worked well enough along with a little excessive cranking vs normal.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
another possible issue…..the woman on the phone said they wouldn’t make a service call to forest service roads. !!!!

The rules for roadside towing is usually that you have to be within X many feet of a edge of paved roadway. So no, they won't send a tow truck down a forest service road. I'm well aware of that and watch the weather if it's gonna rain near the time I need to leave. Like right now, I'm leaving a few days earlier from where I am in a national forest, due to the rain prediction early next week. It's obvious that this place gets muddy and people get stuck. I'm less than half a mile from a highway but that's still way too far to get roadside coverage.

Regarding the bug, I want to eventually get a little 2500lb ATV winch put on the front, for the very slim chance I might get stuck somewhere by myself.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I’ve only had one AAA tow in 6 decades of driving, when I pooched a brake job on a VW and ate a caliper, alloy. Rotor, and tire at 70 mph couple summers ago

Towed to select VW in central NY, came back with my dolly a week later and brought her home the next 200 miles
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’ve only had one AAA tow in 6 decades of driving, when I pooched a brake job on a VW and ate a caliper, alloy. Rotor, and tire at 70 mph couple summers ago

Towed to select VW in central NY, came back with my dolly a week later and brought her home the next 200 miles

If/when I get a less "unknown" engine put in, maybe I won't feel so concerned abour breakdowns, but for now, $100 is cheap insurance IMO.

This 40HP has excessive end play already and 40HP cases aren't worth much, so I figure I may as well just run it until it's dead, with proper care to it of course (oil changes, valve adjustments, etc). I don't have a shed to throw a huge pile of parts into for later either. I do keep a small enclosed cargo trailer stored for cheap down in AZ that I access in winter, but I just got the bug last summer, and I have to spend a crapton to even get it roadworthy. Did 100% of the work myself but it still was a lot of money just in parts, and I went with cheap stuff mostly. But the missing 1 piece window meant I needed a whole kit for $300 after I goofed up and bought just the seals first. The roof rack for the spare tire was another $200. $500 right there! The entire brake system was replaced (except hard lines) with RockAuto sourced parts, upgraded to dual circuit for better safety.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Just something else to consider ...

Sometimes it's not the car that breaks down, it's the driver.

We had (still have) AAA Premier when I fractured my femur on a skiing trip in Big Bear, CA. Our health insurance covered the medical transport back to San Diego, but the car needed to be left in Big Bear because my wife needed to ride back with me and do the hospital admittance stuff.

Our AAA plan included trip interruption insurance. So they arranged the flat bed tow back to our house (155 miles) and we were reimbursed in full for the towing charges.

This same plan includes 200 mile towing coverage if our vehicle is disabled. Last year our plan renewal cost was $177. No, we don't need these types of services regularly (thank goodness!) but it was awfully nice to have all of this handled with one call to AAA at a time when we had much bigger issues to deal with. Worth it.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I don't think you can a better deal dollar for dollar. when used in a major metrpolitan area.

In a major city tow companies compete for calls and rely on Customer satisfaction.

Once you get in the boonies or outside a major town, there are fewer tow companies that work with AAA and customer service is greatly reduced. Wait times are greatly increased quality of service sucks.

When stuck in Death Valley, the truck that picked me up was called "2 star towing" and lived up to their name.

When in remote areas with AAA get operators names and position and document what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

I was shocked to be treated the way I was, but upon doing some searches they really bad customer service. I guess they were bought out years ago and have suffered ever since.

Tread carefully

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Our AAA plan included trip interruption insurance

Hm, I'm not seeing that in the list of perks for any of the plans being offered now, so I guess they dropped it.

I see that GoodSam does offer it though, on their mid and top tier auto roadside plans, but the towing is "Unlimited towing distance to nearest service facility." which isn't ideal for an air cooled VW IMO. I have that on my auto insurance roadside already for $32/yr. GoodSam is also more expensive than AAA (after the 1st year 50% off rate) for less good towing.

I checked my RV policy and it has "emergency expense" but that's like if it gets wrecked and cannot be driven, then I'll get up to $750 for hotel, rental car, etc.

16CVs wrote:
Once you get in the boonies or outside a major town, there are fewer tow companies that work with AAA and customer service is greatly reduced. Wait times are greatly increased quality of service sucks.

When in remote areas with AAA get operators names and position and document what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

Yes, quality of services usually goes down for everything, the more rural you go.

I did notice that AAA offers "Dedicated Toll-Free Number for Priority Service" only on the top tier plan. I wonder if that makes any difference for customer service quality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: