Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Measuring Tool Brands
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
This uses a back lugged indicator?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most likely, knob would unscrew and indicator lug will fit between, depends on how big knob and lug is from back, they make MANY adapters to fit all indicators to all bases and holders.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
My Mits bore gage linkage only travels .06 or less, hence the 10ths indicator, same travel, a 1.0" travel would not fit most likely due to the plunger length, if it would reach the stem to clamp, most likely it would be "wound up" too tight.

I completely missed that... d'oh!

So 0,5"/15mm be a good limit?

RWK wrote:
The .06 travel is pretty much std. for most 10ths indicators be it a dial or dial test indicator. Rarely use my dial indicator except in bore gage, most measuring and alignment in tool and gage work is done with a dial TEST indicator, completely different animal. Anyone that has a mill will have a test indicator, used for aligning vise, finding hole centers, tramming head or angles ect.
Dial test indicator in use...

How is a test indicator different?

RWK wrote:
Comparing cylinders for the same length.. best way, and fastest, calipers should not be used, not accurate enough because the sealing surfaces are not in line, get you within .005 maybe

Never considered there would be any variation in the length with a set.

By the way, that one is chipped, isn't it trash?

RWK wrote:
On the mill

Finding tapped hole center

I am not following, especially the first picture.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
That is a magnetic base, Miti-Mite? You need a snug. 3/8 for the indicator by ? for the rod 5/16, would be my guess.

Made in France.

What do you mean for the rod?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Most likely, knob would unscrew and indicator lug will fit between, depends on how big knob and lug is from back, they make MANY adapters to fit all indicators to all bases and holders.

Got me a chunk of 1/4 inch steel that was crudely welded battery tray patch, just cut me an adapter. Wink

Right now just trying to find on eBay one of these inexpensive SPIs in metric, didn't find any (well one but missing the stem). Go like at other recommended brands.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Dial test indicators compare, rather then measure, in the cyl. pic I zero indicator on 1 cyl then pass each of the others under the needle to compare, rather then trying to measure.. take about 30 seconds.

Notch in cylinder is for a stroker engines rod clearance

Some times you have to shorten cylinders, you just check them to one another to get them all alike, don't really care how long they are, it's more important that they are alike to seal, also important in deck height adjustment, if they are alike it rules them out as a cause of variance.
Most cylinders are very close.

If you are only measuring things and are not a machinist with the other support tools you would have very little use for a dial test indicator, prolly shouldn't have brought it up Embarassed
I do use my dial test indicator for end play, (technically the proper tool for it) much smaller and more sensitive for that type of measurement... hence the word test...
The indicator is mounted on the mill spindle and spun around or inside a bore to find the center of that feature, this is the way bores centers for heads and case's are found, so that they can be enlarged, or a case stud hole to repair ect ect
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Dial test indicators compare, rather then measure, in the cyl. pic I zero indicator on 1 cyl then pass each of the others under the needle to compare, rather then trying to measure.. take about 30 seconds.

Ah, now understand why sharing. Could you not do this with a non-test, setting to zero and the sliders (not sure what they are called) to a desired limit?

RWK wrote:
Notch in cylinder is for a stroker engines rod clearance

Okay, don't recall seeing before, though I have only been tempted by a 76mm, never succumbed.

RWK wrote:
Some times you have to shorten cylinders, you just check them to one another to get them all alike, don't really care how long they are, it's more important that they are alike to seal, also important in deck height adjustment, if they are alike it rules them out as a cause of variance.
Most cylinders are very close.

How alike are you looking for?

Speaking of deck height, the indicator will also be used for this (and bearing play, why wanted one years ago though for some reason balked at the cost). Been so long ago can't remember what the range is for deck height (only so much can be removed from the case).

RWK wrote:
If you are only measuring things and are not a machinist with the other support tools you would have very little use for a dial test indicator, prolly shouldn't have brought it up Embarassed

Good to know in case come across.

Speaking of just measuring, this be only useful to a machinist, right?

RWK wrote:
I do use my dial test indicator for end play, (technically the proper tool for it) much smaller and more sensitive for that type of measurement... hence the word test...

So are you setting your endplay tighter than the Volkswagen specification, and if so, to what value? Additionally, if are setting tighter, what benefit does it have?

In other words, why to use a test indicator, is this for quality?

By the way, what I can't understand is why Porsche used a tighter tolerance, yet, conceptually the engines are the same, only thing I can think of is the crank faces to journal clearance.

RWK wrote:
The indicator is mounted on the mill spindle and spun around or inside a bore to find the center of that feature, this is the way bores centers for heads and case's are found, so that they can be enlarged, or a case stud hole to repair ect ect

Neat! Very Happy Never thought of that, now say it, makes sense that must find the center.

There are some peculiar gages out there, like this one.

What about these least cost options?
(This Federal would require adding a lug back, which are available if happens to be the better option.)

Or, Amazon for some reason has the Mitutoyo 2046S at $50 versus $125 of other sellers, SPI used starts about $45. Has me rather tempted, especially with the advice to go new on gauges. Use it on an imperial bore gauge and be at the same price as the metric bore gauge, yet, can be used elsewhere. Hmmm... Think

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Yes, test indicator needle is easier to get on the cyl. ledge... plunger on dial indicator won't fit, and that's what I use on the surface plate and stand.

Cylinders should all be alike which is 0, the way the factory made them, necessary when you have a tandem head otherwise head will stand off the shorter cyl. and not seal, not so important when the heads are separate like motorcycles, makes VW heads unique in that aspect, same with machining them, very important that they are the same

Those dial indicators should work well in a bore gage, good quality, appeared to be jeweled movements, should be all you need.

No end play is end play, just easier for me to use the test indicator,also the movement force is way less then a dial indicator,(sensitive), so easier to mount, smaller base is needed, again its smaller and the alignment isn't as critical, no need to be parallel with movement, the needle is adjustable on them and movement pivots or deflects rather then moves in straight line.

Again, dial test indicators are more commonly used tool in the tool and die world vs the dial indicator, just what we use all the time, difficult to find a hole center with a dial indicator, or align a part on a mill, for example.

Damn can of worms Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

The dial indicators you are showing are high quality models.

Most of the Federal "Miracle Movement" gauges use jeweled bearings, have gears that are "skeletonized" for lower mass in the gear train for more sensitive reading with lower spring pressure.
Some were available with a shock resistant rack inside.

The Federal miracle movement gauges with all of that plus hardened stainless gears were the heart of a tensiometer gauge the company I used to work for manufactured in Philadelphia. We built about 100 gauges a week through the 90s. Great indicators!

But.....as others have noted....buying USED precision tools can be hit or miss. Having seen many indicators that have age, wear from usage and damage from drop and misuse owing back in for repair and recalibration......I can tell you that old indicators with a lot of usage Nd wear get sloppy. They commonly get sloppy either in the axial direction because of wear in the rack (which is the rod that moves up and down) or in the gear train attached to that rack.

It depends on what the rack and gears are made of, whether they are plated or hardened etc. But if the indicator was used in a production shop to measure all day every day, and the gears were not hardened (say only the rack was hardened) you get wear in the gears in the specific arc sector that was the most used. It makes the gauge repeatability a little odd in certain measuring ranges.

This is not a huge deal if it's just a 0.001" indicator....but if it's a 0.0001" indicator it can be a big problem with a gauge that seems to mysteriously change reading by 0.0005 +/- just by breathing on it.

The other most common issue is radial wear to the bushing in the stem. This bushing is usually brass or bronze. If the gauge rod has been "whacked" or side loaded too many times during its life it can oval that bushing and allow to much side to side or radial movement of the rod. This causes the main rack on the rod to move laterally. So the gear contact point moves in and out of its main worn in path....causing the reading to change.

This kind of wear is also commonly caused by gauges that are mounted and used a lot with long rod extensions and bumped sideways more often. The long extension rods produce high leverage when pushed sideways.

The gist of what I am getting at is that I would suggest and rather see....you buying an affordable NEW gauge of moderate to medium quality than gambling decent money for a high quality gauge that is not only old.....either with a lot of use or many owners or questionable storage conditions .....and may no longer be accurate.

Sure....if you see really good used deals on what were known to be very high quality gauges when originally built.....and you have the money to take a risk....then go for it. But be prepared that about 1 out of 3 might actually be useful.

If for instance you run across something like a Mahr Federal or Starrett 0.0001 high end indicator used.....that started out life in the $275 to $300 range.....for $50.....great! But keep in mind that it could very easily show up with issues that make it worthless.

Ray
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Yes, test indicator needle is easier to get on the cyl. ledge... plunger on dial indicator won't fit, and that's what I use on the surface plate and stand.

Interesting. Very Happy So even with a different tip on a non-test?

RWK wrote:
Cylinders should all be alike which is 0, the way the factory made them, necessary when you have a tandem head otherwise head will stand off the shorter cyl. and not seal, not so important when the heads are separate like motorcycles, makes VW heads unique in that aspect, same with machining them, very important that they are the same

Is it 0, 0,0mm, 0,00mm, or 0,000mm?

Or on radial most engines (my favorite aircraft engine, by the way), though some tandem engines had front and rear cylinders sharing a head. Dad belonged to the Aircraft Engine Society and probably tell me a list of exceptions, or provide me one, miss him.

RWK wrote:
Those dial indicators should work well in a bore gage, good quality, appeared to be jeweled movements, should be all you need.

Thank you. Very Happy

RWK wrote:
No end play is end play, just easier for me to use the test indicator,also the movement force is way less then a dial indicator,(sensitive), so easier to mount, smaller base is needed, again its smaller and the alignment isn't as critical, no need to be parallel with movement, the needle is adjustable on them and movement pivots or deflects rather then moves in straight line.

For some reason thought movement was needed, say difference in how the case enlarges versus how the crankshaft enlarges as the engine gets to operating temperature.

If had one of those test stands with a starter, I satisfy the curiosity...

RWK wrote:
Again, dial test indicators are more commonly used tool in the tool and die world vs the dial indicator, just what we use all the time, difficult to find a hole center with a dial indicator, or align a part on a mill, for example.

Though you have done a great job showing a lot of other applications. Razz Wink Which I appreciate, as love learning. Very Happy

RWK wrote:
Damn can of worms Laughing

Well the can is open and the worms are going all over. Razz

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The dial indicators you are showing are high quality models.

Most of the Federal "Miracle Movement" gauges use jeweled bearings, have gears that are "skeletonized" for lower mass in the gear train for more sensitive reading with lower spring pressure.
Some were available with a shock resistant rack inside.

The Federal miracle movement gauges with all of that plus hardened stainless gears were the heart of a tensiometer gauge the company I used to work for manufactured in Philadelphia. We built about 100 gauges a week through the 90s. Great indicators!

But.....as others have noted....buying USED precision tools can be hit or miss. Having seen many indicators that have age, wear from usage and damage from drop and misuse owing back in for repair and recalibration......I can tell you that old indicators with a lot of usage Nd wear get sloppy. They commonly get sloppy either in the axial direction because of wear in the rack (which is the rod that moves up and down) or in the gear train attached to that rack.

It depends on what the rack and gears are made of, whether they are plated or hardened etc. But if the indicator was used in a production shop to measure all day every day, and the gears were not hardened (say only the rack was hardened) you get wear in the gears in the specific arc sector that was the most used. It makes the gauge repeatability a little odd in certain measuring ranges.

This is not a huge deal if it's just a 0.001" indicator....but if it's a 0.0001" indicator it can be a big problem with a gauge that seems to mysteriously change reading by 0.0005 +/- just by breathing on it.

The other most common issue is radial wear to the bushing in the stem. This bushing is usually brass or bronze. If the gauge rod has been "whacked" or side loaded too many times during its life it can oval that bushing and allow to much side to side or radial movement of the rod. This causes the main rack on the rod to move laterally. So the gear contact point moves in and out of its main worn in path....causing the reading to change.

This kind of wear is also commonly caused by gauges that are mounted and used a lot with long rod extensions and bumped sideways more often. The long extension rods produce high leverage when pushed sideways.

The gist of what I am getting at is that I would suggest and rather see....you buying an affordable NEW gauge of moderate to medium quality than gambling decent money for a high quality gauge that is not only old.....either with a lot of use or many owners or questionable storage conditions .....and may no longer be accurate.

Sure....if you see really good used deals on what were known to be very high quality gauges when originally built.....and you have the money to take a risk....then go for it. But be prepared that about 1 out of 3 might actually be useful.

If for instance you run across something like a Mahr Federal or Starrett 0.0001 high end indicator used.....that started out life in the $275 to $300 range.....for $50.....great! But keep in mind that it could very easily show up with issues that make it worthless.

Ray

Surprised seems Federal has a short life, guess then shops doing super fine measures treat them as consumables.

Not sure the difference between Federal and Mahr Federal, assume the same as using same part numbers.

Will also assume you are using inches, so 0,0001" be equivalent (not equal) to a 0,002mm. Would this also apply to a 0,01mm?

On eBay there is a Federal O31, 0,005mm (retail $300 to $350) for $25 and a Federal O61, 0,01mm (retail of about $250, hard to find a lot of examples) also for $25. So are you saying one or both of these be worth the $25 gamble?

Or, are you saying pay $50 for a Mitutoyo 0,01mm?

Now think about it, another option is the Federal O31 (so long as has a usefulness in an engine building environment) and the Mitutoyo (which we know will work, reliable, and accurate).

At this time, need a black and white answer, actually, most times I do.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Surprised seems Federal has a short life, guess then shops doing super fine measures treat them as consumables.

How did you come to this conclusion after reading Rays response?

I agree with Ray.
1) Federal gauges are great gauges
2) buying used gauges is a crap shoot.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Federal makes high quality measuring devices at a high price, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I an not going to recommend it for hobby use.

95% of the people that buy that brand are going to use it until it quits working, or they quit working, so much higher chance that's it's broke, or the seller doesen't know if it works because your looking at an estate sale Shocked
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

How did you come to this conclusion after reading Rays response?

I agree with Ray.
1) Federal gauges are great gauges
2) buying used gauges is a crap shoot.

First, since the word "seems" has been misunderstood several times, take it the meaning is not understood, so here is the definition of the word "seems": "give the impression or sensation of being something or having a particular quality." In other words, if someone uses the word, it is clearly implying an individual's possible understanding. For example, the sentence "The sky is grey" versus "Seems the sky is grey" the second demonstrating an uncertainty where the first the individual believes it as a truth.

Second, the trouble with going from Federal into a long treatise, and sometimes a long post in general, is meaning is lost. Additional information lost also includes an absolute no on buying used, though myself puzzled how this statement is saying so, guess too mentally incompetent.
raygreenwood wrote:

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Federal makes high quality measuring devices at a high price, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I an not going to recommend it for hobby use.

Thank you for this input. Mind me asking why?

Puzzles me as a new SPI indicator is $150 where a new Mitutoyo is $50, even more with this statement.

modok wrote:
95% of the people that buy that brand are going to use it until it quits working, or they quit working, so much higher chance that's it's broke, or the seller doesen't know if it works because your looking at an estate sale Shocked

Okay. Then new it is. Mind clarifying if the aforementioned Mitutoyo is at least a good choice?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Modok said:

Quote:

That was exactly what I was getting at in a more offhand way. The gauges my company made from Federal dial indicators are tensiometers...more commonly called "tension meters" by the end user.

Not to get off track but to explain why this is so.....Simply put, a tensiometer is a very fine grade, shock proof (in the good ones) dial indicator, usually accurate to 0.0001". Its mounted in a machined metal block with a calibrated weight.
That weight bears on two precision machined feet an exact distance apart. The dial indicator bears on a probe in the center and is calibrated in Ncm2 (Newtons per centimeter squared). It is measuring the upward deflection of the mesh under tension.

These are used all across the screen printing industry for building (initial tensioning across several stages) and setting the tension on the screens. The screen tension affects every aspect of printing...distortion, print speed, color, ink deposition.

Tee shirts, aircraft and automotive instruments, fleet graphics, medical devices, solar cells....the uses are endless. My electronics client in Boston last week holds print tolerances of +/- 0.0005" and ink thickness of less than +/- 0.0001".

So the average GOOD tee shirt shop makes about 200+ new screens per week. Each requires about 12 gauge cycles during the tensioning process and 18 each on final. So the tension meter...and dial indicator inside of it sees North of 4800 cycles per week.

Larger format (screens that are say 178" X 85") they make maybe 50 screens per week but they are 10X the size and each sees about 5 sets of 24 gauge cycles....so about 6000 cycles per week. They also are easy to drop.

Also, except for the circuit, medical and automotive printers and ISO printers...who routinely send their gauges in for recalibration....most of the mom and pop "job shops"....do not send them in until they quit working right.

The factory I worked for made printing equipment and the tension meter was just one item ...but you cannot use their other equipment without it.

Federal was one of several companies they surveyed long before I worked for them to provide indicators. They were also custom. All stainless inside, custom faces calibrated in Ncm2....reads 8 ncm to 130ncm. Had special springs and gear ratios and a shockproof rack with skeleton gears and jeweled bearings.

They bought a lot of indicators and did all of the assembly into the units and all calibration to an NIST trace on site.

These gauges complete were ~$500 each in 1993 went I went to work for them.
The dial indicator was about $275 of that...in bulk prices.

Federal are damn fine gauges but as you say....if I spent that much on a dial indicator I would use it for everything I could until it died.

By the way here is what these tension meters look like.

That is a custom Federal dial indicator mounted in there.

As noted....the Federal gauges DO NOT wear out early. The problem is that used Federal gauges unless you get really lucky...tend to have been used forever and may just be plain worn out. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

Mitutoyo is always a good choice.
here is SPI "deluxe" indicators, 45$
They also have less expensive models for around 30$
https://www.higherprecision.com/products/indicator...m-22-299-2
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

As Ray stated, dial indicators are used en mass, as a gage maker myself, many dial indicators may be use in gages to check production parts, there may be several in a single gage that gets used 3 shifts a day, say maybe months or years or more, then when the product is obsolete, gage is scraped, sometimes the indicators are pulled off and kept, end up on used market, so beware what you buy used.
In other words dial indicators are mfg. and sold by the millions, hence the low price on some, by contrast a dial test indicator is not commonly used in production gages and mass inspection, commonly used by the person making the gage or tool, if I was you and are looking for a decent measuring tool, I would by a mid range dial bore gage, and a dial test indicator, if not,buy just a dial bore gage, the indicator in it can the be used for other measuring application, end pay, deck height, ect.
Now, on to the next issue...
The big problem with bore gages is you have to have something to set it to,
It does not measure its self, it compares what it is set to vs. what it is checking, you can check roundness in a cylinder or crank bore without a way to set it but that's about all, If you need to measure a crank bore at 70 mm you have to have something 70 mm to set it to, a mic, ring gage, gage block stack ect, this is how they are set and the quality of this item is important, a cheap mic not calibrated may throw your measurement off .1mm, this could lead to other problems...
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Modok said:

Quote:

That was exactly what I was getting at in a more offhand way. The gauges my company made from Federal dial indicators are tensiometers...more commonly called "tension meters" by the end user.

Not to get off track but to explain why this is so.....Simply put, a tensiometer is a very fine grade, shock proof (in the good ones) dial indicator, usually accurate to 0.0001". Its mounted in a machined metal block with a calibrated weight.
That weight bears on two precision machined feet an exact distance apart. The dial indicator bears on a probe in the center and is calibrated in Ncm2 (Newtons per centimeter squared). It is measuring the upward deflection of the mesh under tension.

These are used all across the screen printing industry for building (initial tensioning across several stages) and setting the tension on the screens. The screen tension affects every aspect of printing...distortion, print speed, color, ink deposition.

Tee shirts, aircraft and automotive instruments, fleet graphics, medical devices, solar cells....the uses are endless. My electronics client in Boston last week holds print tolerances of +/- 0.0005" and ink thickness of less than +/- 0.0001".

So the average GOOD tee shirt shop makes about 200+ new screens per week. Each requires about 12 gauge cycles during the tensioning process and 18 each on final. So the tension meter...and dial indicator inside of it sees North of 4800 cycles per week.

Larger format (screens that are say 178" X 85") they make maybe 50 screens per week but they are 10X the size and each sees about 5 sets of 24 gauge cycles....so about 6000 cycles per week. They also are easy to drop.

Also, except for the circuit, medical and automotive printers and ISO printers...who routinely send their gauges in for recalibration....most of the mom and pop "job shops"....do not send them in until they quit working right.

The factory I worked for made printing equipment and the tension meter was just one item ...but you cannot use their other equipment without it.

Federal was one of several companies they surveyed long before I worked for them to provide indicators. They were also custom. All stainless inside, custom faces calibrated in Ncm2....reads 8 ncm to 130ncm. Had special springs and gear ratios and a shockproof rack with skeleton gears and jeweled bearings.

They bought a lot of indicators and did all of the assembly into the units and all calibration to an NIST trace on site.

These gauges complete were ~$500 each in 1993 went I went to work for them.
The dial indicator was about $275 of that...in bulk prices.

Federal are damn fine gauges but as you say....if I spent that much on a dial indicator I would use it for everything I could until it died.

By the way here is what these tension meters look like.

That is a custom Federal dial indicator mounted in there.

As noted....the Federal gauges DO NOT wear out early. The problem is that used Federal gauges unless you get really lucky...tend to have been used forever and may just be plain worn out. Ray

Frustrating more then once avoiding even the simplest question. Worse when make intentional false statements to mislead. Not upset, just puzzled. Wink

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Mitutoyo is always a good choice.
here is SPI "deluxe" indicators, 45$
They also have less expensive models for around 30$
https://www.higherprecision.com/products/indicator...m-22-299-2

Thank you so much getting us not only a model, a link, much appreciated! Very Happy

So to confirm, SPI is better then Mitutoyo?

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring Tool Brands Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
As Ray stated, dial indicators are used en mass, as a gauge maker myself, many dial indicators may be use in gauges to check production parts, there may be several in a single gauge that gets used 3 shifts a day, say maybe months or years or more, then when the product is obsolete, gage is scraped, sometimes the indicators are pulled off and kept, end up on used market, so beware what you buy used.
In other words dial indicators are mfg. and sold by the millions, hence the low price on some, by contrast a dial test indicator is not commonly used in production gauges and mass inspection, commonly used by the person making the gauge or tool, if I was you and are looking for a decent measuring tool, I would by a mid range dial bore gauge, and a dial test indicator, if not,buy just a dial bore gauge, the indicator in it can the be used for other measuring application, end pay, deck height, ect.
Now, on to the next issue...

Appreciate clarifying and the additional information, thank you! Very Happy

What is mid range? Chinese Fowler (understand this is low grade), USA Fowler, or Mitutoyo?

There was a $100 American Fowler bore gauge, few days ago put in an offer, and it expired.

RWK wrote:
The big problem with bore ga[u]ges is you have to have something to set it to,
It does not measure its self, it compares what it is set to vs. what it is checking, you can check roundness in a cylinder or crank bore without a way to set it but that's about all, If you need to measure a crank bore at 70 mm you have to have something 70 mm to set it to, a mic, ring gauge, gauge block stack ect, this is how they are set and the quality of this item is important, a cheap mic not calibrated may throw your measurement off .1mm, this could lead to other problems...

Thanks to a forum member, have a nice set of Mitutoyo micrometers, two new in the box.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: