Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removable Hardtop Question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Was the hardtop a factory option, a dealership accessory, or did it come standard with each cabrio?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Hard tops were not standard on cabs in general but were optional. However Porsche did sell cabs without convertible tops but with removable hardtops. I had a 58 that came that way.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't see it listed as an option in the original invoice here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But possibly in the original order form?

Just trying to determine if there's value in keeping the hardtop, or selling it to fund the restoration. I don't see myself ever using it, but if it came with the car when it was delivered, I'd be inclined to keep it for originality's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagen19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

AB westy nut wrote:
Hmm, I don't see it listed as an option in the original invoice here.

But possibly in the original order form?

Just trying to determine if there's value in keeping the hardtop, or selling it to fund the restoration. I don't see myself ever using it, but if it came with the car when it was delivered, I'd be inclined to keep it for originality's sake.

Hello, it seems that your car came from factory with the hardtop. In this case it could be expected, that there were no tenex fasteners for a persenning around the rear cowl, as shown in the pic from Sebastian Gaetas C-cab. My 58 A-cab with hardtop had also no holes for the fasteners in the body (bare metal, no paint). In this case fasteners were installed into the lower frame of the softtop, if installed. (as is by mine) At least in the pics of your car, no holes or fasteners were visible. By the way, your car and all the papers looks very solid. Congratulation!
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Thanks Wagen19. The car actually did come with the soft top as well, along with the tenex fasteners. The holes are there, and I have the fasteners in a little bag. I also found the tonneau cover.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Ask the guy you bought it off of, if he bought it later or was it a factory option that was back ordered and not listed.
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

Yes, by the time the PO bought the car, it had the HT roof. I assume it came new like that.
JulesD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable Hardtop Question Reply with quote

it says 'Cabriolet mit Aufsatz' on the invoice, indicating it came with the hardtop. Cool document!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: