Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frame number start by "POS"
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ostrogoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

Hi
I got a frame here that has the number POS more 4 number. Can anyone help with this frame ? Best regards
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

Maybe a picture? Maybe read that sentence out loud to yourself. That has helped me several times, to help hear how a written sentence, sounds. I have read what you typed, but do not understand what is being asked.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

That sounds like a factory exchange/ replacement chassis. Many reconditioned engines have 'POS' numbers re-stamped, where once the og engine number was located.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

Wasn't POS Salzburg?
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

I managed to secure a NOS floorpan for my 1954 cabrio. It came from a VW dealer's spare parts store. It has an extra number stamped on the tunnel between the gearstick and the handbrake that I have never seen on any other tunnel. I assume it was identifying a spare part. The number stamped on mine is -KU-U222
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

65-
redmain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

I have a 56 Oval with the prefix POS, I was told it was a factory replacement chassis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

That’s crazy but interesting

A replacement chassis…the body had to be destroyed if the chassis needed to be replaced
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That’s crazy but interesting

A replacement chassis…the body had to be destroyed if the chassis needed to be replaced

Says who?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

I’m just saying it would take a lot for the chassis to be replaced…bent forks/napoleon hat/torsion bar housing failure
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Frame number start by "POS" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I’m just saying it would take a lot for the chassis to be replaced…bent forks/napoleon hat/torsion bar housing failure

OK.

You could have rust damage as well. It's hard to comprehend how much the repair bill would be for replacing a pan, but VW did supply pans as well as body shells so there must have been enough call for those parts for them to bother supplying them.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: