Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Popping and clanking?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrockBlack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Popping and clanking? Reply with quote

Hey all, this just happened today about 35 mins ago. I was driving in this morning and on my feet I could feel little vibrations, then I pulled over and put the windshield up to have a better sound clarity it seemed off to me. The tunnel had light little clanking and thuds, nothing major. When I pulled a U-turn to head home the brakes were jittery and lumpy. (If that makes any sense.) Once I was about 20 feet from the house the clanking was more noticeable, and the motor began popping rhythmically. So I am unsure where to start and what it may be!

Thanks much, Brock

1973 Volkswagen Thing
64,600 miles if that helps determine an issue maybe?
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Popping and clanking? Reply with quote

Did the clanking get worse when you were turning? Did the clutch feel any different, did it shift normally? Did you notice any difference in the power of the engine? Did the noise/vibration change when the car was coasting as opposed to under power?
BrockBlack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Popping and clanking? Reply with quote

Clanking didn't exist on turns. Clutch felt normal, shifted just the same as always, engine had a light sputter but it wasn't anything major and did reoccur. Power was all the same through the return ride home. As for coating and return to power engage there was no change in tunnel noise but the motor towards the last 10 mins home was popping as if you were clapping your hands. it was doing that in gear or in netural. Thanks Much!
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Popping and clanking? Reply with quote

Check the post below. Popping is usually fuel/ignition issue but that shouldn't cause clanking. Did the gen/alt light come on at all? Could also be your CV joints.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583869
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Popping and clanking? Reply with quote

Did you check to see if the brakes were hotter than normal?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: