Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 Engine Help needed
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm asking a question on behalf of a friend, He bought a Porsche 912 1969 with this plate, but it's without engine. Now he want to buy a turnkey engine for the same year to mach car number and restore it as built.

Where I can buy this full Engine as a used one and I'll rebuild it for him.

Thanks in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

Hi!

Introductory info in case your friend/you don't know it already.
From the FIN (VIN) 129022938:
12: 912 model type
9: 1969 model year (last year for the ur912 types)
02: Karmann body (coupé body manufactured by Karmann Karoserie-Osnabrück, as opposed to Reutter-Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen)
2938: sequence serial number

This 1969 model year (B series) introduces the wheelbase increase of 57mm, from 2211mm to 2268mm.

The correct engine type for this FIN should be type 616/39 (any 1969 912 engine in fact, 4 cylinders/66kW) with the earlier serial number being the number 4090001. Also from the engine serial number, 9 denotes 1969 model year.

I don't know and you don't tell also, but if this car was built with a 4 speed transmission, it is type 902.04, with earlier serial number being 5090001, while if it was supplied with the optional surcharged 5 speed transmission, it would be type 902.05, earlier serial number being 5190001.
Once again, the number 9 on those mentioned serial numbers is... you know the drill.

Hey, we want that car back on the road... and winning races!

Concerning the question where to source the engine, well that depends greatly on what the final goal with this car will be and the amount of founds available to the job. There are many places from where to source parts, US tends to be a great source due to availability numbers.
Again, if the final goal is to shoot to the top, maybe starting with getting access to the original Kardex by getting in contact with Porsche Museum, then going gradually engaging with the usual guys like RUF, Mittelmotor, Freisinger Motorsport and plenty more others. But, again, all of that comes to a cost.

Let me know if you guys need more help, PM me for that.

Last edited by TornadoRed06 on Thu May 18, 2023 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
Hi!

Introductory info in case your friend/you don't know it already.
From the FIN (VIN) 129022938:
12: 912 model type
9: 1969 model year (last year for the ur912 types)
02: Karmann body (coupé body manufactured by Karmann Karroserie-Osnabück, as opposed to Reutter-Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen)
2938: sequence serial number

This 1969 model year (B series) introduces the wheelbase increase of 57mm, from 2211mm to 2268mm.

The correct engine type for this FIN should be type 616/39 (any 1969 912 engine in fact, 4 cylinders/66kW) with the earlier serial number being the number 4090001. Also from the engine serial number, 9 denotes 1969 model year.

I don't know and you don't tell also, but if this car was built with a 4 speed transmission, it is type 902.04, with earlier serial number being 5090001, while if it was supplied with the optional surcharged 5 speed transmission, it would be type 902.05, earlier serial number being 5190001.
Once again, the number 9 on those mentioned serial numbers is... you know the drill.

Hey, we want that car back on the road... and winning races!

Concerning the question where to source the engine, well that depends greatly on what the final goal with this car will be and the amount of founds available to the job. There are many places from where to source parts, US tends to be a great source due to availability numbers.
Again, if the final goal is to shoot to the top, maybe starting with getting access to the original Kardex by getting in contact with Porsche Museum, then going gradually engaging with the usual guys like RUF, Mittelmotor, Freisinger Motorsport and plenty more others. But, again, all of that comes to a cost.

Let me know if you guys need more help, PM me for that.

Smile Thank you for this valuable information. This car was a dream and I'll get it back on the street again and my intention is to build the engine by myself. Unfortunately the previous owner sold it without it's Engine, that's why I need to find an engine to rebuild it.

This car is in Egypt and we don't have any resources for it. I'll try to collect all the manuals that I can find to start with. Meanwhile I'll get it's birth certificate to match all the parts before buying it.

Any resources you can share will be appreciated

TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

With Porsche there is no such thing as Birth Certificate.
Porsche will check the vehicle Kardex file and will issue a Certificate of Authenticity. For that, it will be better to start contact with the Porsche organization in your country, Porsche Middle East.
But looking at the picture of the vehicle, I spot what looks to be sealed beam headlights, coupled to bumper stops, which leads me to guess that we are talking about a North America specification car. Was this car ever sold new in your country, or later on imported into?

You mention the engine, what about the transmission, do you have it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
I spot what looks to be sealed beam headlights, coupled to bumper stops, which leads me to guess that we are talking about a North America specification car. Was this car ever sold new in your country, or later on imported into?

You mention the engine, what about the transmission, do you have it?

You are totally right, it's imported from USA.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

A '69 US 912 would have an engine starting with 409xxxx. The case would be a 616/40. Dave Patemen on the 912BBS or Early S Registry can get you a copy o the Kardex which will show that original motor number.
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 912 Engine Help needed Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: