Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting blade bumpers to a Super?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Now I know this sounds like a crazy idea, but I really, really dislike the original 'Europa' bumpers my Super was fitted with, so removed them altogether and fitted wide arches with no cutouts.

However, it'd be useful to have proper bumpers since that takes me way above new proposed EV regulations which say the batteries have to be 40cm from the front of the car, and I think I've worked out a way to fit pre-67 blades to the curved screen Super...

Has anyone ever done this, and if so, how does it look? And how do the blades look with widened arches, if anyone's done that? Pics appreciated if anyone has tried it...
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Not sure about your curved screen super, but this one might be worth a read anyway

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Love your build by the way 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Maybe shoot us some photos of what you have? I dont have an idea of what an europa bumper is or wide arches. Not familiar with those terms.
Now blade bumpers, do you mean blade only or do you mean with the overriders?
The USA Supers all came factory with blade bumpers, these are of the late style, the squared off look blade, early cars through 67 have the more rounded blade.
Then there are overriders, on early cars the over riders came in two main styles, the european type with short over rider and no bar, and American type with tall overriders and overrider bar.

For the curved window supers, all of them were curved, but the later ones had a much more pronounced curve, and different front body sheet metal than early supers.
I assume you mean the later super, correct?

Even standard beetles had curved windows in the later years, the windshield was flat up through 1964.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Cjschriver wrote:
Not sure about your curved screen super, but this one might be worth a read anyway

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Love your build by the way 👍

Thanks, on both counts Smile

Sadly it looks like most of the pictures in the thread have disappeared, but I take the point on it maybe looking a bit, er, overweight with the blade bumpers on an unmodified car.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Maybe shoot us some photos of what you have? I dont have an idea of what an europa bumper is or wide arches. Not familiar with those terms.
The USA Supers all came factory with blade bumpers, these are of the late style, the squared off look blade, early cars through 67 have the more rounded blade.
Then there are overriders, on early cars the over riders came in two main styles, the european type with short over rider and no bar, and American type with tall overriders and overrider bar.

For the curved window supers, all of them were curved, but the later ones had a much more pronounced curve, and different front body sheet metal than early supers.

Even standard beetles had curved windows in the later years, the windshield was flat up through 1964.

Mine's a 1973 1303, if that helps; not sure how they differentiated between the flat and curved screen Supers in the States, the flat screen was called the 1302 over here.

Sure, I had the Europa bumpers with the car when I got it, but because it had been wonkily 'restored' the bumpers sat at a weird angle, so I never fitted them. This is what they should look like on a Euro-spec 1303:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Big, ungainly things which always look kindof wonky, even when they're not. I never thought much of them, ditto with the Elephants Foot rear lights, so I fitted widened fibreglass wings (fenders) with no bumper holes, and 'New Beetle' style rear lights:

However, aside from the need to extend the front of the car a bit in case the new EV battery regs come in, it'd be nice to have some bumper mounts to hang the spoiler off rather than having to permanently blend it into the wings. And it might help to disguise the (necessary) bulging Mexican rear valence I've fitted whilst sorting out the earlier iffy restoration:

All the white dust is from the approx 10kg of Bondo I've sanded / ground out of the car so far Neutral

Note the new deck lid too - I didn't like the look of the slatted deck lid much, and it would have allowed rain to drip onto the electric motor, so it had to go...

Since I'm thinking about the pre-68 style blades without overriders and now have an unslatted deck lid, I'm also thinking about swapping back to standard width rear wings with 'tombstone' lights, though I'm pretty much stuck with the slightly wider fibreglass front wings. Hopefully from the rear it'd look a bit like this:

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Two threads which you will want to read thru:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416703
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9440068

You need to pay attention to the outer ends of the bumpers as they appear to get very close to the stock SB fenders. If you are running aftermarket wide fenders they may actually come in contact with the end of the bumper blades. You may need to customize the brackets some to push them further front/rear to gain more clearance.

I seem to recall someone actually made custom early chrome bumper blades that were longer (wider) than stock so they looked better mounted to the SB which was wider. I can’t recall where I saw that reference. Confused

BTW, I believe the adapter bumper brackets you can buy in the aftermarket were only meant for Beetles with solid bumper brackets (‘68-‘73 model years). When VW switched to shock absorber bumpers the mounts changed. I think you ‘73 SB was the last year for the solid brackets so you should be okay.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Two threads which you will want to read thru:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416703
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9440068

You need to pay attention to the outer ends of the bumpers as they appear to get very close to the stock SB fenders. If you are running aftermarket wide fenders they may actually come in contact with the end of the bumper blades. You may need to customize the brackets some to push them further front/rear to gain more clearance.

I seem to recall someone actually made custom early chrome bumper blades that were longer (wider) than stock so they looked better mounted to the SB which was wider. I can’t recall where I saw that reference. Confused

Thanks, all excellent info and some very nice pictures in there, pretty encouraging. I'll have a look around for the wider front bumper, that'd definitely be useful. Or if not, a set of normal width front wings / fenders might be in order, and a rethink on the wheels I'm using.

I've got a set of the Super conversion brackets on order now (I found a cheapish European supplier for them), a quality chromed rear blade and a scratched 'return part' chromed front which I can have a play with (shipping costs more than the bumper!) Thumbs Up
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

I've wanted to do this for ages. I've vascillated on pulling the trigger because I sometimes think it'll be more work than *I* want to deal with. Everytime I see a fantastic looking car, like Glenn's, I think I'll be fine with factory style bumpers, but then I see a pic of a curved window Super with blade bumpers and I change my mind.

I can assure you, if you go that route and post pics on the Samba, you'll get people saying, either, you shouldn't change the factory look of your car, or they don't like it for one reason or another. Personally, *I* don't give a rats ass about other people's opinion of how my car looks. I'm building my '74 Super somewhere in the middle of the Euro and Outlaw looks and those blade bumpers always make me think of the late 60s Porsche 912s, which
look fantastic in the Outlaw style (in my opinion). As an aside, I bought my car as a incomplete project and it had no bumpers or brackets.

Google images of "vw 1303 with blade bumpers" and you'll find the occasional pic. Also, there's a YouTube video of a road review of a blue '74 Super with those bumpers.

Best of luck
H2OSB
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I've wanted to do this for ages. I've vascillated on pulling the trigger because I sometimes think it'll be more work than *I* want to deal with. Everytime I see a fantastic looking car, like Glenn's, I think I'll be fine with factory style bumpers, but then I see a pic of a curved window Super with blade bumpers and I change my mind.

I can assure you, if you go that route and post pics on the Samba, you'll get people saying, either, you shouldn't change the factory look of your car, or they don't like it for one reason or another. Personally, *I* don't give a rats ass about other people's opinion of how my car looks. I'm building my '74 Super somewhere in the middle of the Euro and Outlaw looks and those blade bumpers always make me think of the late 60s Porsche 912s, which
look fantastic in the Outlaw style (in my opinion). As an aside, I bought my car as a incomplete project and it had no bumpers or brackets.

Google images of "vw 1303 with blade bumpers" and you'll find the occasional pic. Also, there's a YouTube video of a road review of a blue '74 Super with those bumpers.

Best of luck
H2OSB

Hope your 'unfinished project' had less Bondo/Isopon and wood holding it together than mine when I got it Smile

Thanks, I'm hoping it will look nice, big question in my mind is whether I should go for 2 tone paint to go with the blade bumpers, assuming it looks 'right' to me, since I'm effectively going from 'new Beetle' style to 'retro'.

The way I'm evolving my EV concept means it'll have about the same power:weight ratio as the 1.3 twin hotspot, so wider wheels at the rear won't be necessary, which means I might be able to get away with standard steel wheels too.

Last edited by mj2k on Sun May 28, 2023 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

I've got the bumpers and a cheap rear wing for experimenting, just waiting for the mounts now.
Are these holes for the Tombstone-type rear clusters?

mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Think they're tombstones, so have got some on order. Also ordered a pair of 1302 front wings / fenders. The bumper slot is the long slot which matches the rear (the later triangular type bumper slot looks odd to me) and according to the site I bought them from they're slightly more rounded than the later 1303 or Brazilian type, so may suit the blade bumpers better.

Oh, and to go with the 1302 type wings / fenders I've ordered some 1960-63 American-style clear indicators - they're much more subtle and streamlined than the huge bright orange post-1968 European indicators, and I figure they'll fit in more with the 'retro' makeover than the LED headlights with built-in indicators I've currently got fitted.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Got the 1302 front wings (fenders) today. I'm still waiting for the mounts so had to balance the blade bumpers on boxes, but they look a pretty good fit to me:

Same at the rear:

So I'm definitely going with blades Very Happy

Only compromize is I might need to use standard Super steel wheels rather than my Empis - they stick out too much at the rear, so may earn an MOT (UK roadworthiness test) fail.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Strangely I've always thought ealy blades look ok on the back of late model cars, but the front end of the super just looks weird with the blade style for me. However, the fenders that those two fiberglass companies make that are set up for early headlights look much better with the blade style bumpers.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Strangely I've always thought ealy blades look ok on the back of late model cars, but the front end of the super just looks weird with the blade style for me. However, the fenders that those two fiberglass companies make that are set up for early headlights look much better with the blade style bumpers.

I was looking at the fibreglass wings with early-style lights - only seem to be available in the USA now and $500ish each plus shipping (which would be approx $200 each to the UK), so much as I'd like some, that's not happening anytime soon Surprised

These early-style 1302 wings (the first 1302s had tombstone tail lights) look quite good with the blades in my opinion - they're a bit more rounded at the bottom and aren't as wide as the later style wings. Only downside is it does mean the front wheel / tyre choice is pretty limited if you don't want the tyres sticking out beyond the wheelarch.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

[quote="mj2k"]
zerotofifty wrote:

Mine's a 1973 1303, if that helps; not sure how they differentiated between the flat and curved screen Supers in the States, the flat screen was called the 1302 over here.

Sure, I had the Europa bumpers with the car when I got it, but because it had been wonkily 'restored' the bumpers sat at a weird angle, so I never fitted them. This is what they should look like on a Euro-spec 1303:

Big, ungainly things which always look kindof wonky, even when they're not. I never thought much of them, ditto with the Elephants Foot rear lights, so I fitted widened fibreglass wings (fenders) with no bumper holes, and 'New Beetle' style rear lights:

Those are big?? Laughing They really don't look much different than the tan bug. Late cars look odd with early bumpers, especially if they have towel bars
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:

Those are big?? Laughing They really don't look much different than the tan bug. Late cars look odd with early bumpers, especially if they have towel bars

No towel bars or over-riders on mine, that would be chromework overkill on a Super Smile

I'm not a fan of the original bumpers at all, never have been, right back to the 70s when they first started appearing on English roads - as a kid I thought it looked like someone had given Herbie a fat lip Laughing So it's either blades or nothing for me. And since I need the extra few inches at front to avoid possible EV compliance issues, it's going to be blades...

I do think the larger bumpers suit the later 'facelift' type 3 though, especially the 'variant' wagons.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Apologies for cross-posting in 2 threads, thought this may come in useful to someone and it'll get lost in my project thread.

Well, here's an interesting something which may come in useful to anyone else considering fitting blade bumpers to a 1302/1303/Super - the front blade bumper converters really aren't worth the bother of purchasing / modifying, just get a cheap set of original rear blade bumper mounts and modify them instead Very Happy

I got some original cheap blade bumper mounts (15 UK pounds each) to play with - I was planning to try fitting them to the rear in place of the Empi blade converters since they do slightly improve the looks, but the small difference they make vs the Empis isn't worth all the extra welding bother:

Empi rear blade converters:

Standard blade bumper mounts (much cheaper, but would need bumper mount spot welds cut, 2 extra captive nuts added to each side, then weld the mount back on):

So I gave them a quick try at the front in place of the convoluted Empi front converters, which really wouldn't look particularly good even after cutting / reweldng, and they fitted much better Smile

Empi front converters - would need a lot of work to make fit properly, and quite ugly IMO:

Modified rear bumper mounts (look nicer, easier to modify, and approx $100 cheaper):

Making them fit was a simple matter of drilling one bolt hole on each side (front bolt hole is just fine if you choose the bottom one at the front):

Edit: oops, looks like this is a picture of when I first fitted them to the standard bolt holes, deleted the wrong pic! Still, it gives an idea of how they'd fit, even if the angle's wrong.

Bolting it down, checking the angles / spacing matched, and welding the captive nut in (v easy for me since the spare wheel well's out but if you can't reach the nut with a welder you could skip the welding bit and use a normal nut and bolt instead):

Then as a final stage (and this might not be so palatable for some) - drill an extra bolt hole for the outer bumper support, fit the strengtheners, and simply bend it into shape. Metal isn't as thick as the Empi converters, so can easily be done in a sheet metal bender or if you've got decent arm muscles, by hand Smile

Finally get 2 of the short bumper mount bolts, and simply bolt them into the original unused inner mounting holes.

Last edited by mj2k on Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

Could I possibly see a pulled back side view? I would like to see the angle your brackets take, relative to the car (which determines where they sit visually).

After looking at your car, something dawned on me. I've always stressed a bit about fender grommets. My car, being a 1303, has shock absorber bumper brackets. The front is not an issue. The available Euro brackets can be used with no issue, as seen in this pic on my sold '73

(Sorry, I wasn't taking the pic for the bumper brackets...and I can't get a new pic anymore)

The rear has always been the issue. Cars with shock absorber brackets have a diamond shaped hole. The only fender grommets available have a round hole. So I was always limited to making a bracket with round tubing. However, looking at your pics made me realize I could push square tubing through the grommet, as long as didn't go too big. The thought being it would be more visually pleasing to adapt square tubing to some of the existing brackets. Round tubing can be used, but looks a little odd. Anyway, not sure this makes sense.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/5MgQ_OMm-Ls

This is a video of a '74 Super with blade bumpers. It has shock absorber brackets. The front I could live with, but the rear sits a bit too high, IMO

H2OSB
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting blade bumpers to a Super? Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Could I possibly see a pulled back side view? I would like to see the angle your brackets take, relative to the car (which determines where they sit visually).

After looking at your car, something dawned on me. I've always stressed a bit about fender grommets. My car, being a 1303, has shock absorber bumper brackets. The front is not an issue. The available Euro brackets can be used with no issue, as seen in this pic on my sold '73

The rear has always been the issue. Cars with shock absorber brackets have a diamond shaped hole. The only fender grommets available have a round hole. So I was always limited to making a bracket with round tubing. However, looking at your pics made me realize I could push square tubing through the grommet, as long as didn't go too big. The thought being it would be more visually pleasing to adapt square tubing to some of the existing brackets. Round tubing can be used, but looks a little odd. Anyway, not sure this makes sense.

H2OSB

I think so, though if you're fabricating something to replace the shock absorber bumper bracket, it might look better if you fitted replacement rear wings with the oblong shaped hole, either big for the standard bumpers, or small for the blades.

I can't get a full picture side-on as yet since the car's still not movable outside the garage and there's too many bits of bug junk in the way to get far enough away for a full picture Very Happy

This is about the best I could get - any good?

Since I welded in the mounting nut myself I could have put it at any angle I wanted, to me it looked best parallel to the ground.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: