Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping an M01 for a P01
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forums but I've browsed quite a bit since I've bought my Eurovan 2002 Vista. It turned out to be a lemon of a truck. And I'm learning as I go so not skilled by all means.

The previous owners junked the transmission and assured me that the mechanic would rebuild it. This hasn't happened yet and I've moved it since to a different mechanic.

Small note: We're in Costa Rica, it's a whole story how this came to pass. Far from the United States and certified Volkswagen mechanics are hard to find. Everyone is an expert.

I might find time to do a proper introduction later, however the question I'm asking now is if the two types of Transmission are a direct swap? Could we purchase the 01P (which is available) and replace the 01M?

The mechanic doesn't seem to think so. I do trust this guy as he's more reputable than the original one I got stuck with. His plan is to buy a 01P, take out the internals and swap it into the 01M as we need to get something done.

What is the difference between the two to begin with?

We've been over a lot of options. Please think with me here, we're in a pickle as this car needs to be out of the country before it's temporary import permit runs out.

I have no idea what this thread will turn into but I really hope for some answers and am trying to keep my hopes up.
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

Oh lord. I just searched a bit more on this forum. That does look like it's possible but also could lead to a lot of complications.

Don't shoot me for asking a noob question. Just a guy in over his head.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

They are similar but the axle connections are different. They're not interchangeable.

I don't think the ECU will recognize the wrong transmission.
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
They are similar but the axle connections are different. They're not interchangeable.

Thanks for the answer EuroTec. Man I wish I could have that manual swap done easily now.

Is it a possibility to interchange broken internals?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

cpjdekker wrote:
EuroTec wrote:

Thanks for the answer EuroTec. Man I wish I could have that manual swap done easily now.

Probably not.
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

If that's the case then this exploded chart is quite confusing.

How can I make this work?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

01P

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

01M

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

Maybe another 01P you can swap those parts around
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

That's what I'm hoping for.

"Now, here’s my opinion on the 01P transmission: Since all the parts of the “transmission section” (not the differential) are exactly the same as the 01M, (and the 01M is designed for little cars like MK4 Jettas), the 01P is simply not heavy-duty enough for these vans. If you have a Rialta motor-home (based on a Eurovan) then this vehicle is even heavier. 01M was a 096 trans that was modified and re-designated, and the 096 came in really small cars, and basically has all the same parts. What I’m getting at here, is that the 01P is very similar to the 096 and they are just not beefy enough.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

cpjdekker wrote:

The major difference between the 01M and 01P internals is the ring and pinion on the 01P is larger in size. The shafts, drums, frictions and steels are interchangeable, given you match the correct number of frictions/steels, and correct size drum, between the different spec's of 01M and 01P (which vary by engine type).
Likewise, while the 01M and 01P valve-bodies appear interchangeable from simply a visual inspection, they have different spring calibrations on the pistons.

I don't think electrickery works that way
cpjdekker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

Okay we're a little further. Valve body is a 01M, transmission is a 01P EQJ. Built only between 2000 and 2003. Goes with a 2.8l petrol AXK engine (I think I got this right) They got creative when they made this Eurovan Winnebago Vista. So what can I rebuild with what?

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping an M01 for a P01 Reply with quote

cpjdekker wrote:
Okay we're a little further. Valve body is a 01M...

All valve bodies carry the 01M part number; the three-letter code on the metal tag indicates whether it was spec'd for an 01P or 01M.

If you get the valve-body rebuilt, send it to somebody like Richard at kansascitytdi.com. He will rebuild and return your valve-body. Don't send it to a generic rebuilder who will likely just exchange it with some random 01M they have in stock.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: