Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cranky marker lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

After I cleaned up my chrome headlight rings, I put them back on the headlight assembly and reinstalled them in their holes.

Headlights work fine. The driver's side marker light worked fine. The passenger side marker light didn't work.

I pulled it out and reversed the wires (green and white). Now neither marker light works.

I put the wires on the passenger side back the way they were. Neither side marker light still don't work.

Everything (both headlights, high and low beams, and the marker lights) worked before pulled the headlights out to clean up the chrome rings. Now the marker lights are acting funky.

I looked at the wiring diagram (I am not an electrician). It appears to show one wire to each marker light labeled '58.' My marker lights have two wires.

Before I pull my lights apart, can anyone tell me if I've missed something obvious? If not, I know the route I should take, but if I can avoid taking the headlight assemblies apart unnecessarily I'd like to avoid it.

Thank you.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Not clear which model year your car is?? You mentioned a '63 in previous threads? Is this the car you are having trouble with? It is good to add the model of your car into your signature so you never forget to include it.

The '63 wiring diagram indicates a single grey wire from the headlight switch 58 terminal to power both fuse #6 & #7 (parking light fuses) Have you checked if either/both of these fuses are blown?

On other model years there was a 57 terminal on the headlight switch which powered the front parking lights ONLY when the headlight switch was in the 1st position. When the switch was moved to the 2nd position headlights) the front parking lights were powered OFF. Confirm if your front parking lights are powered from the fuse box along with the rear parking lights or were they powered directly from the headlight switch. Warning, this 57 terminal was not protected by a fuse. If you miswired the front parking lights and directly grounded the parking light grey wire you may have damaged the headlight switch. If you have a 57 terminal on your headlight switch and the wires are attached here, confirm there is 12v on the terminal when the switch is in the 1st position.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Yes, more info would probably have been a good idea.

The car is a '63 Beetle. I had replaced the headlight switch previously, and the new one doesn't turn off the marker lights when the headlights are on (knob pulled all the way out). At any rate, I checked the marker lights with the switch in both positions. One side worked, the other didn't, and when I reversed the wires on the one that didn't work, neither worked. When I put them back to the way they were before I reversed them neither worked. The headlights work.

Aside from the main headlight plugs, all I had dis- and reconnected were the marker lights. Does it make a difference which way those two (green and white) wires are attached?

I will check the fuses. I just find it unlikely that both fuses or bulbs died at the same time, the second bulb only just after switching wires on the opposite housing.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

After you confirm the fuses for the parking lights are good, start by checking for power along the front parking light circuits. With the parking lights ON, work your way from the fuse box following the wires to the front corners. Test for power on the wires along the way.

The stock wiring diagram shows these front parking light wires as solid grey wires running from the fuse box all the way to the bulbs. This is for both the LF and RF parking lights. No indications of a green or white wire in the wiring diagram? Maybe the PO replaced the stock colored wires. If you're wires are a different color you will need to trace them back to see where they come from.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Thank you for the step by step.

Earlier today I confirmed the fuses are good.

Then I traced the wires and they do go back to the proper fuses as marked on the wiring diagram.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a working test light, or gauge in my garage that goes down to low enough voltage. I'll pick up a new one at the store tomorrow and get on it on Tuesday.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Looking at the '63 wiring diagram...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see there are only 3 colored wires running to the headlight assembly:
    white - high beam
    yellow - low beam
    grey - parking light

The brown arrows extending to the left/right indicate grounds. These early light assemblies grounded thru the fenders to the body. Not the best way to ground the lights. Later, VW added a dedicated ground wire which terminated inside the trunk where it was better protected from the elements.

You need to ID all of the wires coming from the headlight assemblies so you know what each wire does. This is particularly important if the PO changed the wire colors from stock.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

There actually were brown ground wires going to the parking light bulbs. That is why they have two terminals on them. Screw terminals or later on with push terminals.

Why? Well the glass is surrounded by a formed rubber gasket. And then there is a rubber gasket (seldom seen any more) between the headlight bucket and the fender. And the mounting screw had a big plastic spacer under it. So ground was not assured.

These are actually PARKING LIGHT BULBS, not marker lights. They are nearly invisible when the headlights are on and that is why VW had it wired so they did not come on a the same time.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Thanks glutamodo. Very useful info. It looks like the parking light ground was daisy chained off the headlight ground wire (brown)?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

These are actually PARKING LIGHT BULBS, not marker lights. They are nearly invisible when the headlights are on and that is why VW had it wired so they did not come on a the same time.

This is what mine looks like except the gray wire is white and the brown is green.

Also, I had replaced my headlight switch and the new one is missing the terminal that allows the parking light to shut off when the headlights go on on the second pullout position.

I bought a new multimeter today (actually yesterday) and will check out the power to the parking lights situation tomorrow (actually later today). Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

I found original parking lights were not fused on some early models! I guess they figured it was such low current, but not a good idea! But then, there was no protection for the ignition wire, either...
I moved the front parking bulb source wires to a splitter so they came on with the rear taillights and was fused.
This also meant they stayed on with the headlights. Very useful if a headlight goes out... you don't look like a motorcycle to oncoming traffic!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Okay, so I've made some progress.

As I wrote earlier, I has previously replaced the headlight switch. Thank you, Phil, for reminding me that I spliced a fuse into the parking light line when I replaced the light switch, thanks to someone here who had suggested it many moons ago. As to why I didn't remember, don't get me started. haha

So, for a long time now, the parking lights were working fine, either with or without the headlights. I pulled the fuse and it looked broken, so I put another one in. It worked for a few seconds and then popped, as did another. I could actually hear them break.

The first was 5A, which the car ran on for years. The next two were 7.5A. The fuses under the dash are 8A minimum.

Did I just answer my own question? The next size up I have is 15A. Is 15A too high? Will I melt a wire with it? Is 8A the answer? Should I try a 15A? If there is a short I suppose this is not a good idea. But then again, it worked fine with a 5A. So why not now?

I checked the two wires carefully so that they're not touching each other when I tighten them down, although the base of the parking light attachment screws seems to be connected to both wires, which seems odd to me.

Where could a short have been created when all I did was pull the headlights? It's two plugs and 4 wires.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Also, I had replaced my headlight switch and the new one is missing the terminal that allows the parking light to shut off when the headlights go on on the second pullout position.
<...>
I spliced a fuse into the parking light line when I replaced the light switch.
<...>
I pulled the fuse and it looked broken, so I put another one in. It worked for a few seconds and then popped, as did another. I could actually hear them break.

The first was 5A, which the car ran on for years. The next two were 7.5A. The fuses under the dash are 8A minimum.

So you are saying you have a non- stock in-line fuse holder on the grey wire running from the headlight switch 58 terminal to the two parking light fuses in the fuse box? This single wire supports two 8A fuses. The in-line fuse should be 15A or 16A so it does not blow. I'm not sure what the purpose of this fuse is for? It only protects the short length of wire from the headlight switch to the fuse box?

If you had to move your two front parking lights from a separate unfused 57 terminal to the two fuse box fuses where they have added to the load on terminal 58.... your 58 wire fuse will need to be increased in size to support 4 lamps instead of the 2 it had to support earlier.

scottyrocks wrote:
I checked the two wires carefully so that they're not touching each other when I tighten them down, although the base of the parking light attachment screws seems to be connected to both wires, which seems odd to me.

Post a pic. If both wires are contacting the hold down screw then the wires are shorted together and when power is applied to the grey wire it is sorting straight to ground.
Do what you can to make sure the grey wire conductors do not touch anything other than the spade or screw for the bulb bottom contact.

A simple test for you...
Remove all 4 parking light bulbs from each corner.
Remove the 4 corner parking light wires at the fuse box.
With your ohm meter set to read resistance, test each wire for resistance to ground. With the bulbs removed you should get a resistance reading of infinite (open circuit). If any wire indicates a resistance it means there is a short along that wire. Trace the wire all the way to the bulb holder looking for wire stands touching metal (ground).
Any radiance reading less than 1.7ohms will blow an 8A fuse.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Yes, there is a non-stock fuse holder, but it is on the green line in between the light switch and the bulbs.

Here is the setup:

There was a discussion here about adding this fuse/holder to the parking lights. I don't remember the details now, and and maybe I misinterpreted, but I didn't see the point of putting it on the short line in between the switch and the main fuse box, so it went on the green line directly to the lights.

Btw, my current replacement switch has no 57 terminal, which is why the parking lights stay on with the headlights (when they were working).

Quote:
Post a pic. If both wires are contacting the hold down screw then the wires are shorted together and when power is applied to the grey wire it is sorting straight to ground.
Do what you can to make sure the grey wire conductors do not touch anything other than the spade or screw for the bulb bottom contact.

Here are the connections:

I'm leaning towards thinking that the problem is in one of the connections.

1. Nothing upstream was touched.

2. Each time I removed a headlight, as in disconnecting and reconnecting the wiring, and put it back, the duration of time between turning on the switch and the fuse popping changed, from a few seconds to instantaneously. Before this whole thing, the parking lights were running on one 5A fuse for years.

If this isn't solved by Friday, I'll do the tests then that you suggested, ashman.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Loose wire strands can sometimes short to ground or each other, with a high resistance so it's hard to track, but still blow fuses. A common fix is to solder the wire strands together so the hold-down screw doesn't fray the ends and cause this.

A poor ground can also cause this by running through other bulb filaments, which draws more current, blowing the fuse.

Lastly, poor bulb/socket connections can cause shorts, too. The spring contact gets bent, misaligned, and can short to the holder or to the bulb case.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Thank you, I will check and address all of that Friday, as well.

Btw, do I have the correct color wires to the correct screws?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Brown is ground, and should connect to the headlight connector's brown/ground wire.
The other (green for you), is the switched hot lead.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

So in the two pics above, are the green wires in the right place, or should I switch them with the white and brown wires, respectively?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
So in the two pics above, are the green wires in the right place, or should I switch them with the white and brown wires, respectively?

Grab your meter, remove the bulb, and perform a continuity check of the two screw terminals. One should have continuity to the bulb base "spring" contact only -- this is the one you want your power wire connected to. The other terminal will have continuity to the bulb holder/parking light assembly -- this is the one you want your ground wire connected to.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

The wires were reversed.

When one side only was reversed it took a few seconds for the fuse to pop. When both sides were reversed it popped immediately. With the wires correctly installed, and a 5A fuse installed, all is fine.

My thanks to ash, mukluk, phil and glut for guidance.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: cranky marker lights Reply with quote

Just looking at this again a few days later.

Yeah, had I seen it earlier I would have instantly posted that the wires were backwards.

The image I posted above, with the wires attached, that is my own 62 Beetle. I kind of hoped that it would be enough to illustrate which terminal was which. I suppose I should have stated that you want power going to the middle of the bulb and the ground to the outside/socket side.

And yes, VW did kind of muff this up with Terminal 57 not having fuses. This led to a lot of toasted wires over the years. Why would they allow such a thing? I think I understand actually. As the middle position of the headlight switch really is not used very often, plus the fact that this was a dirt-cheap economy car, it was a calculated risk, with "cheap" being the deciding factor.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: