Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

So, I posted the whole story in the dune buggy thread but, the jest of it is, I tried to drive my buggy from Indiana to Pismo Beach and back (bucket list thing), got here and I think I have a sticking intake valve in #1.
Any remedy for this or will I either be shipping it back and flying or maybe selling it here? Surprisingly, I understand there are no VW shops here and I don’t have shop access or torque wrench and spring compressor to do it my self.
Thanks in advance guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Leave that intake pushrod out, pull the stuck valve closed, crank the exhaust valve next to it open one turn.
Remove the main jet stack, and idle jet and holder from the carb barrel above that cylinder to stop fuel flow, in case the valve is bent and won't close.
I don't want you to have a carb fire from it spitting fuel back out, so you have to stop the fuel flow if the valve is bent.
Drive to somewhere where you can work on it or have it fixed.

Auto parts stores will rent tools, or you can buy the tools also and sell them later.

You could fix it on the side of the road if the guide is just tight, but if the guide is shifting in the head or the valve is bent then probably not.
In any case it still has 3 good cylinders, or, just needs a head, or needs a one cylinder valve job.

Very frustrating...... I have everything to fix that right here.
I wish I was there or you were here.

But also on that note, the sooner you tell us what kind of head you need, the sooner somebody could possibly get you one.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Thanks Modok!! As far as the head, they are Panchitos (CBP) but I don’t have the specs. Sorry. I can maybe get a friend to go to my house and rifle thru my records…..?
I think I understand what you are saying about pulling the carb apart. I don’t imagine I can or should go very far that way. There does not seem to be any place within maybe 30 - 50 miles (a guess) that even MIGHT be open, tomorrow. Maybe some place in Morro Bay, I understand. The only other place I heard of is 3 hours.
Kinda crazy as I thought I was going to the Mecca of dune buggy’s only to find not a shop. The irony.
Thank you so much for the help! I truly appreciate it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

You can drive as far as you want in that condition, even all the way home, but probably should not just because of how fast traffic moves these days.
I suspect a buggy would need all four cylinders working to match the speed of highway traffic and that could be dangerous or at least rude to drive slow on major roads.

I'd guess 50 mph in third would be fine, and you can try fourth and it might work depending on wind and hills.

Driving a buggy cross country is dangerous and risky in the first place, so you will just have to use your own judgement to decide your own fate and what you can do and can't do.

Including the use of a wrench and screwdriver.
I was hoping some others would be able to clarify what I'm telling you about the carb and valves but nobody here today I guess.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

I guess not. It is Sunday and all. Maybe someone can chime in later.
Thanks again for all the info! I would not have thought to drive it very far, even prepped as you say.
i truly appreciate the help.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

I would very much amend your title to add......"Need help in Pismo Beach!'

There should be at least SOME central coast folks who can help in case your head needs to come off. Central coast is far from foreign to VW engine wrenching!!!!!!

(The cry for help should grab those folk's attention pretty quickly. You could also get a ton of help here in So Cal but should be help much closer!!) Wink
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

I did what Modok suggested kinda when I was stationed in Germany but only about 120 kilometers. If I remember correctly I pulled both push rods and the plug and wire back to the cap.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

I'm in the central valley, 2-3 hours from pismo, I can help you. You will finish your bucket list, have patience

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
I'm in the central valley, 2-3 hours from pismo, I can help you. You will finish your bucket list, have patience

Skulptorchaz,
You really should take up Scott on this offer.
Even though I have never met the man in person. I have had a few conversations on the phone with him. Great guy!

Call Scott, he knows his craft very well in the VW game.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Mcmscott, I TRULY an appreciate the offer. Thru out the past day, I found out I have an oddball rocker arm adjuster that I think CBP a makes. They are “cupped” on the push rod end. One is broke, plus, on the same cyl. there is either a loose valve seat or sticky valve. I would love to finish my goal but time isn’t on my side. I have to be home for a scheduled back surgery. Sucks. I’m so bummed.
What I think I will do is what modok suggested and mess with the carbs to where it doesn’t throw gas down the cylinder, drive it around to find a decent truck to buy and tow it home. It’s not what I want to do but the most reasonable since it would be about 3K to ship and fly or even rent a truck and tow.
Again, I’m in a bad situation with time constraints and honestly, truly appreciate the offer. I got some excellent help from locals, Eric and Todd. We truly have a great community of fellow VW nuts.
I’m still open for suggestions but this one is at the top of the list right now.
Thank you guys, really, thank you.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Have Scott pick you up and get it to his place....Let him fix it on his time and you fly home. Once your back is feeling better and you are still in recovery...fly back, bring him the money and drive it home.
Unless he can fix it fast and get you on your way.....it's only money and you can always make more.
Our buggy stripped a rotor in Morro Bay last summer and my BIL drove straight thru 1100 miles to pick us up with my pickup and tow bar.
There wasn't much for options in Morro Bay so don't bother trying to go there.

I would think you would have a better chance getting engine help in Pismo than Morro bay.
Your other choice is to get to L.A. and find someone to fix it quick but that's almost 200 miles from you I'm guessing.
I feel for you....I was in the same situation last year....it's a real bummer. I jumped right on mine when I got home...ordered the parts and had it running in less than a week.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

pull the dam valve cover and see what is rong. broken spring? bent pustick? dieing lifter?#3 should start giving issues but some take longer than others., loose rocker? loose lash? clip broken?off your rocker? there are many eazy fixes for many things. and of coarse you cant fix stupid. and yes have scott give you a hand.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Loose valve seat is the prime suspect.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Mark, what up with the attitude? Do you not think all that was done?
Dam, is right.
Thanks Modok.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Leave that intake pushrod out, pull the stuck valve closed, crank the exhaust valve next to it open one turn.
Remove the main jet stack, and idle jet and holder from the carb barrel above that cylinder to stop fuel flow, in case the valve is bent and won't close.
I don't want you to have a carb fire from it spitting fuel back out, so you have to stop the fuel flow if the valve is bent.
Drive to somewhere where you can work on it or have it fixed.

Auto parts stores will rent tools, or you can buy the tools also and sell them later.

You could fix it on the side of the road if the guide is just tight, but if the guide is shifting in the head or the valve is bent then probably not.
In any case it still has 3 good cylinders, or, just needs a head, or needs a one cylinder valve job.

Very frustrating...... I have everything to fix that right here.
I wish I was there or you were here.

But also on that note, the sooner you tell us what kind of head you need, the sooner somebody could possibly get you one.

Yup. Achieve "limp home" mode and limp home. Cool

I always though the ultimate Bus accessory would be a spare long block stashed under the back seat. No reason you couldn't tie one down in the back of a buggy.

I have changed motors in the dirt on the side of the trail...

DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

That area has really gone down hill you cant even get a good meal My sister lives in San Luis Obispo people are total snobs. That's to bad sounds like a very ambitious trip. The cheap truck and a tow bar is not a bad idea then you have a rust free truck to sell or keep once back home not a total loss.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Yep, I hope to find a truck. I have one in mind but have to wait till tomorrow.
I did put it in limp mode as Modok suggested. I doesn’t idle well but gets along OK. I guess, thankfully cause it’s a 1915 and does run good normally.
Could it actually make it 2400 miles? If so, it actually gives me even more respect for these little guys.
To the best of a few peoples analysis, it’s probably a dropped seat. Remote chance of sticking valve. I’ll know when I get home and pull her down….after back surgery, so it will be awhile.
Thanks for the help gents. I do appreciate all the help….SINCERELY!!!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Well, again, a super special thank you to Eric Essen and Todd B. They really helped make the trip better with all their help.
I got it home a couple hours ago. Towed it. I had a truck found but did not buy it. He was apparently putting me and another buyer against each other. I bailed on it and a car dealership owner friend of mine did a dealer buy and I drove a ‘23 GMC 2500 home for him and towed it. I hope IT shows up.
I may do a recap tomorrow.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Hell ya! I’m glad you got a decent outcome to a fun buggy run. I hope to pull off an interstate trip (more than Seattle to Portland) in my Berry Mini-T one day.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky valve, I think. Stuck 2600 miles from home. Reply with quote

Good luck on the surgery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: