Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

I'm considering getting adjustable spring plates for my Baja.

I had a pair made by Sway-A-Way many years ago and the quality seemed good.

Does anyone here have any experience with adjustable spring plates made by EMPI? Any problems with the quality or fit?

The cost is much lower than the ones from Sway-A-Way.

Thanks.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

I have been using the Chinese adjustable spring plates for about 20 years now. They have worked for me.
The one thing I was told by the person selling them to me was not to use large diameter torsion bars with them as the spline area is not as strong as SwayAway made ones.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
I have been using the Chinese adjustable spring plates for about 20 years now. They have worked for me.
The one thing I was told by the person selling them to me was not to use large diameter torsion bars with them as the spline area is not as strong as SwayAway made ones.

Thanks for the info. Are you using the vehicle off road?

I'm currently running Sway-A-Way torsion bars. I think they are 26mm.

I have a Bus gear reduction transaxle with John Johnson Racing laydown adapters.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

Yes there used off road. Largest size torsions bars used are type 3 23.5mm dia x 26-9/16in long.
I don’t know about using a 26mm bar.
Someone else may know.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Yes there used off road. Largest size torsions bars used are type 3 23.5mm dia x 26-9/16in long.
I don’t know about using a 26mm bar.
Someone else may know.

Yikes! I just checked and my torsion bars are actually 28mm!

Probably no good for the Empi adjustable spring plates.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

Still on the fence about buying these.
I might have to keep saving and get some from Sway-A-Way.

I currently have non-adjustable Sway-A-Way spring plates and haven't had any problems.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI Adjustable Spring Plates. Any Good? Reply with quote

My Hi Jumper has Sway-A-Way adjustable spring plates. On the car before inner adjusters were available. Then my co-driver was the brother of the owner of Sway-A-Way and during a race when flat out in high gear, the car got into tank slappers (where the rear bounces back and forth left to right). Wound up flipping the car kind of endo, kinda corner to corner. Turned the rear axles into pretzels. The spring plates too. When I repaired the car, I straightened the spring plates with my 12 ton press. It's been working fine since then.

Other brands I can't speak from experience about.

But since you're not racing the Bug, other brands will probably be fine.

Your car still has bus reductions, right?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: