Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in reverse gear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

For those of you not following along, I'm rescuing a Gene Berg custom '65 Beetle. When I got it, there were no brakes, nothing was running, and the engine seemed to be in bad shape with a lot of long ignored parts.

Brakes work now and after many replacement parts, the engine runs. It's a high idle, still... I can't seem to get it stay running below 1200 RPM or so. That may be relevant.

Just got the wheels back on, filled up the gearbox and started it up. All good except I couldn't get it in reverse. Pushed the clutch in and it was just grinding. Tried a few times, then it finally went in. Engine immediately died. Now it's stuck in reverse.

I'm guessing that my clutch may be non-functional. I'm not sure where to start on this one.
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Clutch pedal is firm and now I'm able to shift gears with the engine off.

I put it in reverse with the clutch pedal all the way down and the car jerked backwards.

Clutch doesn't work.
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Clutch cable is good. So I guess the engine is coming out for inspection. This is my first time so wish me luck.

After disconnecting all electrical and fuel hoses, then removing the Webers, I rolled the car up on my lift and got underneath. I found the bottom two mounting bolts but I can't fit a socket in there. Any tips?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

ot1138 wrote:
I found the bottom two mounting bolts but I can't fit a socket in there. Any tips?

If a socket won't fit, use a wrench instead.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

The clutch disc could be stuck to the flywheel, I've had it happen to a few things that were stored for a few years. Sometimes I could get them shaken aport without disassembling everything, but sometimes it's just glued together with rust or oxidation. The symptom is the clutch 'feels' fine, but the it acts like the pedal isn't doing anything. Sounds familiar right?
Engine nuts need a universal and extension, or a box end wrench. A ratcheting box wrench is ideal, if you have those. The top bolts sometimes take two people.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

ot1138 wrote:
Clutch cable is good. So I guess the engine is coming out for inspection. This is my first time so wish me luck.

I found the bottom two mounting bolts but I can't fit a socket in there. Any tips?

Those are nuts. Use a 17mm box wrench, a little turning at a time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. HF was having a sale so decided to go there and pick up a ratcheting wrench (11/16"). I used an offset wrench and a rubber mallet to knock them loose, then the ratcheting wrench to get them out. Unfortunately, the nuts were stuck to the studs, so it was quite an operation getting the bottom two nuts (and studs) removed. I prevailed in the end however.

This engine has a 6 qt oil cooler so I had to perform some difficult maneuvers to get those hoses off.

So now we're down to the top two engine mounting bolts. I see one right by the clutch lever but it appears to be only accessible from the bottom. That seems like an inherently dumb thing, especially with the bottom two studs completely removed.

I don't see the other. I assume it has to be removed from the top. But if so, I have no idea how I'm going to do that because there is almost no clearance behind the dog house.

Sorry to be asking such noob questions but I am not very familiar with these engines and the manuals seem to be leaving out a lot.
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Some photos:

Passenger side engine mounting bolt. This looks accessible:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver's side - this is definitely not accessible from the top. I really don't like the idea of having to undo this one from the bottom with the two bottom studs removed. I'd replace them but I can't screw them in very far by hand, so I'm worried about having enough clearance to slide the engine forward.

Additionally, there is a wire running to the oil cooler on the bottom of the engine. Anyone know what it's for? My oil pressure sensor (though non-functioning atm) appears to be wired up in the engine compartment just underneath the distributor.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

The two upper bolts are close to straight in line from the lowers, but near the top of the bellhousing. One is also the upper starter mount bolt (see the one with the arrow in the picture below), while the other is near the clutch operating arm (see the one with the wrench on it in the picture below). If you have a '71 or newer case, the one close to the clutch arm will have a nutsert pressed into the case and will not need you to undo a nut on the engine side of the firewall tin -- this bolt must be accessed and removed from under the car. A ratchet with a couple long extensions and maybe a universal works well for this. The upper starter mount bolt will typically have a D shaped head which will hold in in place while you undo the nut from the engine side. Make sure you support the engine with a jack before you completely remove the last bolt.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

ot1138 wrote:
Some photos:

Passenger side engine mounting bolt. This looks accessible:

Look closely and you can see the pressed in nutsert for the upper left bolt like I mentioned earlier. You'll need to remove that bolt from under the car. The nutsert looks like the picture below.

Quote:
Additionally, there is a wire running to the oil cooler on the bottom of the engine. Anyone know what it's for? My oil pressure sensor (though non-functioning atm) appears to be wired up in the engine compartment just underneath the distributor.

That is an aftermarket oil temperature sender that's screwed into the case.
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes sense.

I finally managed to get the top driver's side bolt out with a long 11/16" wrench and a lot of force.

I thought the top passenger's side bolt was going to be the easiest. It was on there pretty good but after I got it loose, it just spins. I've probably turned it 20 times and there's no sign of progress. The engine wiggles now but this last nut is holding it pretty good.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Normally, there is a "D" bolt through the upper starter flange, that also holds the engine against the bell housing. It may have been replaced with a hex head bolt, allowing it to spin freely while you turn the nut.

If you have a helper. Ask them to hold the bolt while you remove the nut from the engine compartment side.

Make sure that you remove the rear breast plate before attempting to remove the engine.
If you don't, you won't have enough rearward movement to clear the trans input shaft.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

That would explain it.

I lifted it to get back underneath and I don't see how the other side of that nut can be accessed, as it appears to be on the upper and inner flange of the starter... I think I can feel a hex nut in the approximate location but getting a wrench in there is another matter entirely.

Who invented this torture device?!
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I got a better feel back there and it feels like a "D" shaped cap. It's a little loose but I can't rotate it enough to get it back in position.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

ot1138 wrote:
I finally managed to get the top driver's side bolt out with a long 11/16" wrench and a lot of force.

Didn't I post earlier to use a 17mm wrench????

Apparently I DID !!!
Cusser wrote:

Use a 17mm box wrench, a little turning at a time.

Everything on these is metric except seat belt bolts and wheel diameter, unless a previous owner took some liberties...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Yes you did, but unfortunately... I don't have a 17mm wrench of any kind. These were pretty close and did the job.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
ot1138 wrote:

Didn't I post earlier to use a 17mm wrench????

Apparently I DID !!!
Cusser wrote:

Use a 17mm box wrench, a little turning at a time.

Everything on these is metric except seat belt bolts and wheel diameter, unless a previous owner took some liberties...

Easy does it man.
In case you didn't know, many of us have some mismatched sets of tools that include metric and standard wrenches, and if you know the equivalents you can get through many things with standard.
1/2=13mm, 9/16=14mm, 11/16=17mm, 3/4=19mm
Unfortunately there is no substitute for 10mm. Very Happy
it certainly helps to know these things in a pinch, and the OP is new to VW's so he's doing his best with the tools he has.
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

esde wrote:

many of us have some mismatched sets of tools that include metric and standard wrenches.

It's strange for us over here in Europe thinking of metric as not being "standard"😂. Although I work on old British bikes as well, and have too many different sets of spanners.

Funny story, one of my old British bikes had an old mile per hour indicator on the speedo, it was made in the early 50s so I thought I would check when Switzerland became metric, if it was after then, I could argue that I could keep it like that.

Promtply went on to Wikipedia and found that Switzerland became metric in.......... 1877! Doh!
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
ot1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

It only took 3 days for a 1 hour job!

We could not get that last nut off the D-bolt on the upper passenger side, so I resorted to a nut splitter. What a job! But it finally cracked and the engine was loose.

The good news is that doing this on the lift made the job 10x easier. The bad news is that I realized a bit too late that a jack wasn't a stable surface for the engine. I had to make do in a hurry and this is where things got ghetto...

So now I need to find some kind of small engine cart to transfer it to.

Transmission case is clean and the bearing arm seems to be in great shape. It moves nicely with the pedal.

From the outside, the pressure plate looks fine, though the diaphragm arms appear rusty.

Flywheel starter teeth are a little chewed up.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in reverse gear Reply with quote

Ok, great work.
Will the trans shift into neutral?
If so, remove the pressure plate.
Look for pressure plate alignment marks. Mine has three little dots in the plate and the flywheel.
Look at the pressure plate and see if it's corroded against the clutch disc or the clutch disc to the flywheel.
Also look at the pilot bearing inside the gland nut, see if it's frozen/corroded.

While the engine is out of the car. Clean up the fire extinguisher powder from the engine compartment and the engine too. Pull the fan shroud and cylinder tins, clean up yellow powder. It's corrosive.

Even though I'm old. Shocked I dig the skulls on the firewall!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: