Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:35 am    Post subject: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

Has anyone here done CB shorty IDF manifolds on Revmaster 049 heads? My DRD heads based on the 049 RM castings with 12mm plugs has virtually no space for plug leads and accessing the studs to bolt the manifolds down. My engine builder thinks I'll hate it. Reckons it's near impossible to fit the leads. Will surely also require full removal of the carbs and inlet manifolds to get at the spark plugs. I haven't been able to check it out yet but it has me concerned.
Can anyone here shed some light on the issue?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

yes, everyone with IDF's / DRLA's on a type 3 has this issue
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Has anyone here done CB shorty IDF manifolds on Revmaster 049 heads? My DRD heads based on the 049 RM castings with 12mm plugs has virtually no space for plug leads and accessing the studs to bolt the manifolds down. My engine builder thinks I'll hate it. Reckons it's near impossible to fit the leads. Will surely also require full removal of the carbs and inlet manifolds to get at the spark plugs. I haven't been able to check it out yet but it has me concerned.

I used a wobly and shortish spark plug socket, to break them loose, then i jam a piece of fuel line on the end and twist it out , the reverse for install. it can be done with the carbs in place... not fun, requires a certain level of patience but it can be done

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

I used a wobly and shortish spark plug socket, to break them loose, then i jam a piece of fuel line on the end and twist it out , the reverse for install. it can be done with the carbs in place... not fun, requires a certain level of patience but it can be done

also gotta cut the intake studs short as possible and use the tiny nuts with the flange, they really help https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=929112

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yes, everyone with IDF's / DRLA's on a type 3 has this issue

Yeah I'm starting to figure that out. I guess it's the price you pay for a rear trunk.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

also gotta cut the intake studs short as possible and use the tiny nuts with the flange, they really help https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=929112

Thanks for the tips. Exactly what I need. Did you have to do any mods to the cooling tins behind the manifold?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

It's been a while but yes I remember some dimpling and trimming of the dual port tin piece that looks like a mustache?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
It's been a while but yes I remember some dimpling and trimming of the dual port tin piece that looks like a mustache?

I concur. tin snip time Laughing just sneak up on it, it didnt take much to finally clear

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I concur. tin snip time Laughing just sneak up on it, it didnt take much to finally clear

Erik G wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

aircraft nuts with the wobble and a 10" extension, and pull the carbs/manifold when you want to change the plugs
keep a supply of manifold gaskets, and it's a fun job getting the plug wires on/off Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
aircraft nuts with the wobble and a 10" extension, and pull the carbs/manifold when you want to change the plugs
keep a supply of manifold gaskets, and it's a fun job getting the plug wires on/off Wink

Thanks for the tips. Fun job eh! 😖
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: CB shorty IDF manifolds on 049 RM heads tight access issues Reply with quote

right and make sure to always use the cardboard type gaskets here. don't use the metal ones
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: