Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'build' my engine, time
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattybobatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

i want to refresh my engine, code says its a 1963. i keep reading the posts on big bore kits and push rods and cam bearings or not.
question is, how many engines can get rebuilt without using a machine shop?
and also, how long do the engines stay apart for? what happens when something goes wrong with the parts?

i wish it were simple as "you have this, you need this" but all these engine rebuilds i see, seems to always be something..

slim chance i can buy a big bore kit and do it in a weekend?
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

If you have all the parts needed, you can rebuild an engine on a weekend if everything is in good shape (no machining needed).

That doesn't mean it is going to be a well rebuilt engine, as you need to get all the parts cleaned up, check a billion things (clearances, oil passages, etc)

So If you can't get the engine out of your car for a long time, I recommend you to buy another engine to rebuild it patiently, checking for every detail.

Things like weight matching rods and pistons, balancing the rotating assembly, lightening the flywheel, improve the oiling (it can be done on an early case too), cleaning the ports of the heads, getting a better cam... are time consuming but you end up with a far superior engine, much more responsive and pleasant to drive.

If you don't pretend to make some of these mods, I think you are on the wrong forum

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

The correct order would be:
disassemble engine, measure and inspect
order parts for rebuild
clean while awaiting parts
reassemble.
This typically takes 2 weeks if nothing goes to the machine shop.

If you knew what you were doing, and if the case didn't need a line bore, and if the crank didn't need to be ground, if the heads were ok, and If you already had the parts on hand.... Then yes you could do it in a weekend. That's a lot of if's, so I wouldn't bet on it. It does happen, but not often.
mattybobatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

yes, the 2 week thing sounds ok.!

i just dont want an engine apart, in my garage for any extended period of time. building buggy and the engine that came with it looks pretty sad. i can buy a 67 engine, nearly complete with alternator and carb, exhaust etc for 500, locally. i just dont want to waste money, so the teardown and measuring is inevitable.. i also dont know who around me can machine vw stuff. rhode island

thanks for the responses
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

It was standard operating procedure in the late 70's-early 80's. to schedule one weekend for two people to "freshen up" an engine. New bearings, a quick hone and new rings, and relapping the valves was planned. Nothing was measured, old wear patterns were observed. The engine had to back in and running to get to work on Monday.

Roland
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

I had a 67 single port 1500's very different engine than your 40 horse. They are a much better engine then again the dual ports starting in 1971 are even stronger and capable of being souped up. I am in the same position as you I have had my 1960 36 horse torn abp now for 2 years. I have hand polished my crank as it was ok, Case is not getting an align bore, it will be fine because it was fine before. It had a valve. seat pound out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

mattybobatty wrote:
yes, the 2 week thing sounds ok.!

i just dont want an engine apart, in my garage for any extended period of time. building buggy and the engine that came with it looks pretty sad. i can buy a 67 engine, nearly complete with alternator and carb, exhaust etc for 500, locally. i just dont want to waste money, so the teardown and measuring is inevitable.. i also dont know who around me can machine vw stuff. rhode island

thanks for the responses

I can recommend Steve's Aircooled in Tiverton. He does not have a machine shop but can steer you in the right direction if you decide to go forward with your build. You will be rewarded with a better running, longer lasting engine if you take the extra time to follow recommendations made on your thread.
mattybobatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

yes roland, thats sort of what i was thinking. although reading these forums it seems like that scenario doesnt happen anymore. things were cheaper and more readily available

i do not want to go the 1600 route, i cant find anything around me for a good price, and im going to work with what i have. going to buy that 67 engine mainly because i do not have a working alternator, or carb, or exhaust, or distributor. 500 bucks i get a running unit, need to grab it before someone else does

83mm big bore, find longer intake push rods, find or make a dual carb setup, still need to research all the dizzy terms, and hope i dont need machining!
thanks!
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'build' my engine, time Reply with quote

The usage of the cars has changed. They are rarely daily drivers now, so no need to rush. Back then it was more economical to freshen them up (forgot the new exhaust valves) periodically than to wait until it blew.

many years ago I welded up some 1600dp heads by the valve pockets and cut for 40 hp cylinders. It was a fun engine, rev'd quick enough to keep up wit a 1600sp in first, but not second. Probably ran 75 FI, can't remember.

Roland
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: