Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzfess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

’68 convertible

Why does my e-flasher work only if I leave the directional on (left or right)? No key in ignition.
’77 MGB Convertible
’09 Jeep JK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Because it's not wired right. Very Happy

First question: Is this an early 1968 model with a 7-prong flasher relay, or a mid-late model 68 with a 4-prong flasher relay?

As always, pictures would help.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Jazzfess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Below is a picture of the e-flasher which appears to have 7 prongs. I will try to get a better picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’77 MGB Convertible
’09 Jeep JK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Jazzfess wrote:
Below is a picture of the e-flasher which appears to have 7 prongs. I will try to get a better picture.

That is the later style E-Flasher switch mounted to the dash. This means you are looking for a 3 or 4-prong flasher relay... probably in front of the speedometer. Check and report back how the relay is wired? Which colored wire connects to which terminal on the relay.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Jazzfess wrote:
Why does my e-flasher work only if I leave the directional on (left or right)? No key in ignition.

When you pull the E-Flasher switch out/ON it does two things:
    1) changes the power source to the flasher relay from the ignition switched tuen signal fuse to the constant 12v E-Flasher fuse.
    2) opens a path between the 49a pulsing output from the flasher relay to both L and R side turn signal circuits. This allows the flasher relay to power all 4 corners

From your descriptions it sounds like the second function is not working. Look at the black/green/white or blue/red wire connecting the flasher relay 49a to the E-Flasher switch 49a terminal. If this wire has come loose (or has a bad connection) the E-Flashers would possibly function as you describe.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Jazzfess wrote:

When you pull the E-Flasher switch out/ON it does two things:
    1) changes the power source to the flasher relay from the ignition switched tuen signal fuse to the constant 12v E-Flasher fuse.
    2) opens a path between the 49a pulsing output from the flasher relay to both L and R side turn signal circuits. This allows the flasher relay to power all 4 corners

From your descriptions it sounds like the second function is not working. Look at the black/green/white or blue/red wire connecting the flasher relay 49a to the E-Flasher switch 49a terminal. If this wire has come loose (or has a bad connection) the E-Flashers would possibly function as you describe.

Also, the switches have an inherent defect. The contact plate looses contact inside the switch. This is fairly common and accounts for many switches, which are good, being tossed. There are 4 aluminum retainers which hold the contact plate onto the main body. If the contact plate is loose, I am betting it is, all you need to do is lightly strike the hold down, down, to clamp the plate tight again. I use an old printer wheel rod. It is hardened steel, about 1/4” round and 12” or so long. I set the rod onto the finger and tap the end with a small hammer. Not too tight, but tight enough that the plate does not move.

That should help your situation out, if the plate is loose, which I am a thinking is what’s happening!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jazzfess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Per your request I am reporting back with a picture of the flasher relay. I have also added an updated photo of the e-flasher switch that shows a zip tie was applied at some point in time by another owner. I also included a picture of the turn signal flasher.

’77 MGB Convertible
’09 Jeep JK
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Jazzfess wrote:
Per your request I am reporting back with a picture of the flasher relay.

The above is a non-stock 2-prong flasher relay. This type does not use the the 3rd #31 brown wire the original flasher relay needed. I'm guessing that extra wire is the brown ground wire?

Jazzfess wrote:
I have also added an updated photo of the e-flasher switch that shows a zip tie was applied at some point in time by another owner.

The cable tie is a common fix when the switch starts to come apart. When this happens the internal contacts may become unreliable. This might explain your problem.

Jazzfess wrote:

This is a pic of your headlight dimmer relay. The brown wire connected to the S terminal comes from the contact switch at the base of the turn signal lever that closes when you pull the lever towards you. Otherwise, this relay has nothing to do with turn signals or E-Flashers. It is not a flasher relay.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Jazzfess wrote:

I just noticed in your pic above, there are only two wires coming off the 49a (L) terminal of the flasher relay. There should be 3 wires.

In the below '68 wiring diagram the flasher relay (J) is a 4-prong. The blue/red wire for the turn indicator lamp in the speedometer is connected to a dedicated KBL terminal on the flasher relay.

When using a 2 or 3-prong flasher relay this blue/red wire is moved to the 49a (output) terminal along with the other two wires.
You can see in the above diagram there are two wires coming off the 49a (output) terminal. One (black/green/white) runs to the turn signal switch. The second wire (blue) runs to the 49a terminal of the E-Flasher switch... where is this wire?! I do not see it in your pic. Can you see a blue wire coming off the E-Flasher switch? Where is this wire running? This blue wire between the flasher relay and the E-Flasher switch is how the E-Flasher switch receives a pulsing current that it passes to the L and R side wires when it is turned ON. If it is disconnected/missing the E-flashers will not work normally, but will work as you described.

I see a blue wire tap on the black/green/white... what is connected to this tap?
Jazzfess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

Quote:
I see a blue wire tap on the black/green/white... what is connected to this tap?

I will investigate.

p.s.
Thanks all for taking the time to read my post and replying - much appreciated. Have a safe and healthy Memorial Day Weekend.
’77 MGB Convertible
’09 Jeep JK
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ’68 e-flasher works only if the directional is engaged Reply with quote

FYI, in your pic there is a blue/green wire connected to the flasher relay 49a (L) terminal. I assumed this was the turn indicator lamp wire... but the turn indicator wire should be blue/red. The blue/green wire should be the wire running to the OIL lamp. This blue/green OIL lamp wire comes from the oil pressure switch below the distributor in the engine. Did the OP change the wire color? Where is the blue/red wire running between the turn indicator lamp and the flasher relay?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: